Loud Hard Top

CheatyJeepy14

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
So, before we go forward: yes, I understand it’s a Jeep! This is my second one with a hard top so I got it!

with that said, it seems like the top is kind of loud after 60 MPH. I checked the seal in the back, passengers side corner (seems the loudest back there) along the door and everything seems fine. Wondering what other people are experiencing. Thanks for any feedback!
Edit: yes, it’s the factory hardtop with no headliners
Sponsored

Doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Audi A4
Are you panels all in alignment? You can adjust the brackets that lock down the freedom panels. Or have your dealer do it. Best thing to do would be to go take a similar optioned model from the dealer for a test ride and see how that sounds. That will help you know if it's your Jeep or just a "Jeep thing"

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
First Jeep with a hard top, all others have been soft tops. No unusual noise at highway speed. Sounds like a Jeep, aka, the inside of a half insulated 55 gallon drum. Love it.

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
So, before we go forward: yes, I understand it’s a Jeep! This is my second one with a hard top so I got it!

with that said, it seems like the top is kind of loud after 60 MPH. I checked the seal in the back, passengers side corner (seems the loudest back there) along the door and everything seems fine. Wondering what other people are experiencing. Thanks for any feedback!
Edit: yes, it’s the factory hardtop with no headliners
They did start to move toward lighter hardtops which did bump up the noise level a bit at higher speeds.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Are you panels all in alignment? You can adjust the brackets that lock down the freedom panels. Or have your dealer do it. Best thing to do would be to go take a similar optioned model from the dealer for a test ride and see how that sounds. That will help you know if it's your Jeep or just a "Jeep thing"
This was the source of my wind noise.

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I test drove two hard tops and a soft top. Both hard tops were quiet around town, but hard tops had noticeable wind noise at hwy speeds, but quiet around town. The premium soft top was much louder around town, but also louder on the hwy. Honestly, the hard tops were so loud that I figured I’d might as well get the soft top till I noticed that it was still considerably louder around town. I will play with the adjustments, as suggested to see if it helps a bit, but I honestly think it’s the near vertical windshield and otherwise terrible aerodynamics.

This is my fourth Jeep, but with all of the talk with the improvements in noise reduction, including a few more degrees of windshield rake, maybe I expected too much. It was also probably more noticeable since I was coming from a 2017 Canyon that was very quiet at hwy speeds. I’ll report back if I feel like the adjustments make any noticeable difference.

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Compared to my JKU, I think it's noticably quieter

Do you have leaks when it rains or in a car wash?

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
I don't hear noise from the back with my hard top. Mostly from front especially around the windshield frame sides. I'd suggest you pull the freedom panels, remove the bolts that hold down the top and lift the offending rear corner to check the weatherstripping is there, and flat/consistent. Check that the top looks to be aligned evenly with the metal of the body before re-tightening.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I get a little wind noise from the front left on drivers side at higher speeds but its nothing to bad. I have checked seals but have not done any other adjustments.

Coming from a 2dr soft top JK...this doesn't bother me at all. I can carry on conversations at highway speeds...I can listen to radio at normal volume levels....I can use hand free voice calls. All of which, I could never do in the JK.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I don’t notice any specific top noise, but I do hear fire noise and engine performance exhaust noise on the highway that may block it out. Frankly, I see all of this as part of the joy of ownership!

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
My freedom top was horribly aligned from the factory. I took it all loose and also inspected and lubed the windshield seal. There are 6 brackets and 8 bolts that allow adjustment of the tops. Once I did this and added a headliner, I have minimal wind noise. On blustery days I do get some resonance still.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
My freedom top was horribly aligned from the factory. I took it all loose and also inspected and lubed the windshield seal. There are 6 brackets and 8 bolts that allow adjustment of the tops. Once I did this and added a headliner, I have minimal wind noise. On blustery days I do get some resonance still.
which headliner? been thinking of the Hotheads one, but still unsure if it will be worth the $$$

also still waiting for weather to get better here so I can remove the top and lube/adjust as well

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I rarely ride in the passenger seat of my gladiator. I too have one noise on the highway. More than expected. I noticed a lot more wind noise from the passenger side near the top. I think I need to look at the door and panel alignment.

erichsglad

First Name
erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I don't hear noise from the back with my hard top. Mostly from front especially around the windshield frame sides. I'd suggest you pull the freedom panels, remove the bolts that hold down the top and lift the offending rear corner to check the weatherstripping is there, and flat/consistent. Check that the top looks to be aligned evenly with the metal of the body before re-tightening.
Just fyi. They replaced the passenger door seal on mine. Said it was the wrong seal for the Gladiator. It seemed to help some. Check to see if most of the noise is coming from the upper area between the door and windshield. I have the premium soft top.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
which headliner? been thinking of the Hotheads one, but still unsure if it will be worth the $$$

also still waiting for weather to get better here so I can remove the top and lube/adjust as well
I bargained for the Mopar one when I purchase my Gladiator.
Sponsored