Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Just turned 400miles. Averaging over mix use of city, mountain and highway of 25.5mpg.

The engine is better than my XM radio. I drove it from Palm Springs to San Diego with the radio off just so I can listen to the motor. The light clatter of the engine. BTW, why do diesels sound like this. When it up shifts it sound like there is some kind of turbo pressure release between gears? Coming to a stop it sounds like the turbo whines down, almoust sounds like the faint sound of a police car siren.

At one point I was taking off at a stop sign at a slight incline and it shifted between second and third as I was rolling the diesel pedal. I saw the traction control light flicker like I was breaking the falcons loose off the tarmac.

love it!
Sponsored

ChimeraJT

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green JTR Diesel
Occupation
Tech
Glad to see so many rave reviews for this engine, can't wait for mine! Wanted a diesel for most of my life!

The engine is better than my XM radio. I drove it from Palm Springs to San Diego with the radio off just so I can listen to the motor. The light clatter of the engine. BTW, why do diesels sound like this.
The clatter noise is a characteristic of compression ignition. When diesel fuel is injected into the cylinder, it is done so at peak compression when air temperatures are so high the fuel ignites on its own. This does not give the spray of fuel time to mix evenly with the air and it ignites as a heterogeneous mixture. It can ignite at any location once it is injected and starts a chain reaction igniting the rest of the fuel. That is what gives the diesel such an uneven/rough sound.

Compare that to a petrol engine, the fuel is injected at the same time as the the air intake (as the piston is moving downward). By the time the piston returns to the top of the cylinder to begin the power stroke, the spray of gasoline is mixed evenly with the air (homogeneous mixture) and the spark from the spark plug causes a more even and controlled combustion, as it can control the very moment of ignition.

Here is a great video on the subject if you want to do a deeper dive.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Over the last 3600 miles on mine. Still brand newish....I'm averaging around 27 mpg. Love the diesel too.

OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Glad to see so many rave reviews for this engine, can't wait for mine! Wanted a diesel for most of my life!

The clatter noise is a characteristic of compression ignition. When diesel fuel is injected into the cylinder, it is done so at peak compression when air temperatures are so high the fuel ignites on its own. This does not give the spray of fuel time to mix evenly with the air and it ignites as a heterogeneous mixture. It can ignite at any location once it is injected and starts a chain reaction igniting the rest of the fuel. That is what gives the diesel such an uneven/rough sound.

Compare that to a petrol engine, the fuel is injected at the same time as the the air intake (as the piston is moving downward). By the time the piston returns to the top of the cylinder to begin the power stroke, the spray of gasoline is mixed evenly with the air (homogeneous mixture) and the spark from the spark plug causes a more even and controlled combustion, as it can control the very moment of ignition.

My wife had a 2.0 Audi (VW) engine in a A3. That was my first diesel. Too bad for Dieselgate. I will check out this video later today. Thx!

OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Over the last 3600 miles on mine. Still brand newish....I'm averaging around 27 mpg. Love the diesel too.
27. Nice. Any mods?

Im eagerly awaiting my new wheels and 35s. I’m sure my numberS will go down.

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
27. Nice. Any mods?

Im eagerly awaiting my new wheels and 35s. I’m sure my numberS will go down.
Bone stock. But I just ordered a Tuwa Pro rack for it. 35s and lift will hopefully soon follow

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Wow, 27... Rubicon?

Wat Dog

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Superintendent
I couldn’t agree more! I drive from Baltimore to DC daily and get more than 25 mpg at 85+mph. This thing has no problem getting up and going. The cost of diesel is cheap around here, especially since I came from a twin turbo with a thirst for premium

62D84650-4DB4-48EB-9B3F-DE97E74A1518.jpeg

8EC4241A-15C9-4FF3-97EE-B56B89E0FD7F.jpeg

OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction

Awesome, just geeked out on this vid. Thanks for sharing. Highly recommend everyone watches this to get a better sense of the differences between gas and Diesel engines.

If you aren’t interested, this snapshot pretty much sums it up....

Screenshot 2021-06-30 at 5.59.32 PM.png

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

You should hear some of the early diesel tractor engines. I heard an early 3 cylinder diesel from India - talk about a rattle. But it was so cool.

Sponsored

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA Diesel, 21 Silverado LT Diesel
Occupation
CTO
I love the oil burner. I’d buy another in a heartbeat!

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
I have about 5k on my diesel now and have been pulling a 4.5k trailer about every other weekend. I am so surprised at the fuel economy (29mpg avg empty and 21 pulling) but even more enjoyable - and the reason I spent so much more on it - is max torque at ~1600rpm and max hp at ~2200rpm. No high revs for full power is the way to go when towing.
The trani is not programmed well for load - in auto mode it goes from 8th to 5th in one jump, but manually shifting works great.
Always love running a diesel and this one is spot on.

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
Wait until it break due to Chrysler workmanship