First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Low Cost Mud Guards for your Pickup - Mike Mas

f0.jpg

Loving my PU but hating all the crap flying up from the tires sticking to my paint. Anyhow, after spending a few weeks looking for some guards to re-direct some of the road debris, I came to the conclusion the few guards available from vendors, won’t work with the rock guard rail.

Therefore my only option was a set of generic guards from AutoZone, however it took some thought to make them work. First I didn’t like mounting them to the Tonka Toy inner fender since its already so weak it would not support a piece of black tape securely.

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

After an hour of planning, my solution was to first mount them backwards from the planned installation. To make the installation clean, I also mounted the guards behind the inner fender so it would there was no trace of them being there and make it easier to clean.

f4.jpg

To support the guards I first removed the two flimsy push pins that jeep uses to hold the inner fender. I replaced them with some stronger nylon 1/4x20 bolts, which would secure both the inner fender making it much stronger than it was with the pins, as well as the guards.

To install them, just hold the guard in place and drill a few holes. Use the nylon bolt to go through the fender liner, guard and into the strong mounting bracket at the bottom of the fender.

f5.jpg

f6.jpg

I recommend using some blue locktite to keep the nuts from backing off. I'll also spray the hardware black. To make the guards even more secure, I put a dab of silicon rubber between the guard and the front of the rock guard cap for extra strength. The guards are $17.95 and might be the least expensive thing I'll ever buy for my truck!

Enjoy - Mike

f9.jpg

f10.jpg

99.jpg

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
As someone who is unnaturally happy with the oem flaps on my JKUR I like your approach as it is basically how the factory bits should be mounted.

Any insights in why the factory JL/JT flaps won’t work with the Rubicon?

OP
OP
LowOnCash

LowOnCash

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
As someone who is unnaturally happy with the oem flaps on my JKUR I like your approach as it is basically how the factory bits should be mounted.

Any insights in why the factory JL/JT flaps won’t work with the Rubicon?
I called a few places and as soon as i told them it was the Rube they told me the Wrangles guards would not work with the rock guard, so I'm not sure why.

If a company could make some Jeep guards in carbon in black, red silver etc. They cold sell hundreds!

Here's a few shots of some carbon guards I found for my Prowler.

Mike

p2.JPG

p3.JPG

p8.jpg

p9.jpg

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
I called a few places and as soon as i told them it was the Rube they told me the Wrangles guards would not work with the rock guard, so I'm not sure why.
The rock rails on the Rubicon protrude into the wheel wells slightly (see the first pic in @Pat2Alaska's post here). This prevents the Wrangler flaps from attaching without modification.
Sponsored