Lowest Profile Rack for RSI Evo Cap

briandmiles

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2021 JTR ecodiesel, GMC Yukon XL Denali
So I looked and couldn't really find anything with the search function although I'm fairly certain I read some posts a while back about this subject. I'm getting the RSI Smartcap Evo and will be building everything up for overlanding. Rooftop tent, awning, etc. I'd like to be able to drive out of the garage with everything mounted so that I can mount/dismount the tent and rack together leaving the Smartcap in place.

After a 4" lift and 37's I'm left with about 14 inches of clearance so I'm looking for the lowest profile rack I can use for the RTT. Whether it is just crossbars or something like a frontrunner rack I just want it as close to the Smartcap roofline as possible.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Brian
Sponsored

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator BMW-R1150GS Toyota-FJ60 Porsche-914
Occupation
Architect
I just installed my cap this past weekend, and I am also trying to get a super low profile rack for my tent. I ordered the square weldnuts that RSI said fit their tracks (currently backordered), and my plan is to bolt a pair of 2x2 steel tube cross bars directly to the cap tracks. This will only leave 3/4" or so for bolting up the tent...but if I'm careful...

OP
OP
briandmiles

briandmiles

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just installed my cap this past weekend, and I am also trying to get a super low profile rack for my tent. I ordered the square weldnuts that RSI said fit their tracks (currently backordered), and my plan is to bolt a pair of 2x2 steel tube cross bars directly to the cap tracks. This will only leave 3/4" or so for bolting up the tent...but if I'm careful...
I'd love to see some pictures of what you are doing.

18psi

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator JT, '81 Toyota FJ60 and others
So I looked and couldn't really find anything with the search function although I'm fairly certain I read some posts a while back about this subject. I'm getting the RSI Smartcap Evo and will be building everything up for overlanding. Rooftop tent, awning, etc. I'd like to be able to drive out of the garage with everything mounted so that I can mount/dismount the tent and rack together leaving the Smartcap in place.

After a 4" lift and 37's I'm left with about 14 inches of clearance so I'm looking for the lowest profile rack I can use for the RTT. Whether it is just crossbars or something like a frontrunner rack I just want it as close to the Smartcap roofline as possible.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Brian
I haven't received my Evo Adventure cap yet, but I have ordered some series 10 1"x2" aluminum extrusions to use as crossbars from tnutz.com. The crossbars will sit right on the RSI tracks and will be held down using L brackets from tnutz. Tent is a Tepui White Lightning which has carriage bolts which slide in the tracks on the bottom of the tent. Those carriage bolts will be attached to the crossbars with more L brackets. So 2 black extrusions (I think I went with 49" wide) and 16 black L brackets and the tent will sit 1" above the RSI tracks.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I'm not going with a roof top tent anymore going to sleep inside the RSI cap, but when thinking about it I was considering a roof nest standard falcon tent with aluminum top and bottom, and really wondered about, drilling through the bottom of falcon with holes that could be plgged that would line up with the RSI rails, to remove tent just remove bolts and slide off. I'll put a straight edge on my rails and see where jeep hardtop is in relation, I think it is a little higher then Smartcap. Putting a heavy rack on top of cap to put a heavy rooftop tent on also didn't settle well with me, 18psi has the right idea, also not saying buy the falcon tent but it was like 6" high, much much lower then most tents......Jack

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I did just put a long straight edge on the rails of the RSI cap and they are the exact same height as the hard top of Jeep, so you do need to have some space there for flex....Jack

OP
OP
briandmiles

briandmiles

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did just put a long straight edge on the rails of the RSI cap and they are the exact same height as the hard top of Jeep, so you do need to have some space there for flex....Jack
Thanks for the info. I chatted with Frontrunner and apparently they are putting together a mounting kit just for RSI tops. I’ll update when I know more.

18psi

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Woohoo! My EvoA Adventure Smartcap was just delivered. The freight packaging was impressive and while I haven't opened the boxes, I don't anticipate any damage. The truck delivering couldn't get up our driveway, so we did a transfer from the lift gate right into the Gladiator down the street. Will post photos after I install this weekend.

IMG_5282.jpg

IMG_5281.jpg

18psi

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the 1"x2" t-bar I ended up using as crossbars to keep the RTT as close to the EvoA as possible. They will remain attached to the bottom of the RTT to keep the top of the cap clean when the tent isn't installed.

IMG_5283.jpg

IMG_5284.jpg

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator BMW-R1150GS Toyota-FJ60 Porsche-914
Occupation
Architect
This is the 1"x2" t-bar I ended up using as crossbars to keep the RTT as close to the EvoA as possible. They will remain attached to the bottom of the RTT to keep the top of the cap clean when the tent isn't installed.

Jeep Gladiator Lowest Profile Rack for RSI Evo Cap IMG_5284

Woohoo! My EvoA Adventure Smartcap was just delivered. The freight packaging was impressive and while I haven't opened the boxes, I don't anticipate any damage. The truck delivering couldn't get up our driveway, so we did a transfer from the lift gate right into the Gladiator down the street. Will post photos after I install this weekend.

Gladiators and 60s are a good combination!

Sponsored

18psi

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiators and 60s are a good combination!
Ha, good eye on the 60 series. Got the EvoA built up and installed on Saturday. Built it on my own in about 2hrs, then 4 of us lifted it in place. Along the front of the bed, I used both the included foam strip and butyl tape to fill the gap. At the tailgate I used 10mm spacers provided, but then added another 5/16" rubber cut from a 3" rubber plumbing coupler from the orange box. Test fit the Tepui up top and there is plenty of clearance over the cab and over the positive air pressure vent.

IMG_5300.jpeg

IMG_5301.jpeg

IMG_5316.jpeg

IMG_5322.jpeg

IMG_5314.jpeg

IMG_5302.jpeg

IMG_5298.jpeg

IMG_5295.jpeg

jeepfreakedc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Ha, good eye on the 60 series. Got the EvoA built up and installed on Saturday. Built it on my own in about 2hrs, then 4 of us lifted it in place. Along the front of the bed, I used both the included foam strip and butyl tape to fill the gap. At the tailgate I used 10mm spacers provided, but then added another 5/16" rubber cut from a 3" rubber plumbing coupler from the orange box. Test fit the Tepui up top and there is plenty of clearance over the cab and over the positive air pressure vent.

Jeep Gladiator Lowest Profile Rack for RSI Evo Cap IMG_5295

That's a great setup! What size tires are you running and do you have a lift?

18psi

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a great setup! What size tires are you running and do you have a lift?
37" Milestar Patagonia with a Metal Cloak leveling lift up front and 3/4" rear spring spacers. Recently added air bags to the rear springs to help with the added weight of the cap and tent.

jeepfreakedc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
37" Milestar Patagonia with a Metal Cloak leveling lift up front and 3/4" rear spring spacers. Recently added air bags to the rear springs to help with the added weight of the cap and tent.
Nice! Looks good. 👊🏼

Raymond

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
CS

halo, where did you get the t-bar from? any source?
do you have any recommendation of lowest cross bar in market?
thanks buddy.
Sponsored