Sponsored

Luckily a well optioned Raptor would cost $74,000

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Ive been thinking about the crazy expense this truck is going to be, so i checked out the Raptor, and luckily with many similar options to what the Rubicon will have, or i'd put on the Rubicon, it came to $74,000. Makes me feel better about the $60k i'll likely drop on the gladiator.
Sponsored

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
Ive been thinking about the crazy expense this truck is going to be, so i checked out the Raptor, and luckily with many similar options to what the Rubicon will have, or i'd put on the Rubicon, it came to $74,000. Makes me feel better about the $60k i'll likely drop on the gladiator.
I would say their prices would be comparable if the gladiator had a better motor. The raptor has a twin turbo v6 with 450hp that make the raptor fast, if the gladiator had a turbo v6 or v8 then I would think the pricing would be comparable.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I would say their prices would be comparable if the gladiator had a better motor. The raptor has a twin turbo v6 with 450hp that make the raptor fast, if the gladiator had a turbo v6 or v8 then I would think the pricing would be comparable.
Good point, however I can't buy a raptor with a 300hp engine. If I could for $12,000 less, I would have to compare more before buying a gladiator.

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good point, however I can't buy a raptor with a 300hp engine. If I could for $12,000 less, I would have to compare more before buying a gladiator.
I'm just hoping a sport with max tow package will be no more than 40k.

Sponsored

IWantAJeepGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I'm just hoping a sport with max tow package will be no more than 40k.
I am gonna guess that the only way to get a medium optioned (hardtop, 7" entertainment screen, hardtop headliner, one more thing) sport/sport s under 40 is with a manual transmission...

K enny

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
And if the Gladiator was an ugly full sized overpriced truck. I'm just saying, the Raptor is just ugly to me and I do not understand the cost. Then again I will probably not understand the cost of the Gladiator when it is finally announced.

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
And if the Gladiator was an ugly full sized overpriced truck. I'm just saying, the Raptor is just ugly to me and I do not understand the cost. Then again I will probably not understand the cost of the Gladiator when it is finally announced.
It depends on your tastes.
I personally think it doesn't look bad. But it would look better if they used the refreshed f150 front end rather than the old one.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It depends on your tastes.
I personally think it doesn't look bad. But it would look better if they used the refreshed f150 front end rather than the old one.
I can see the appeal. Kinda like a baja truck, the OLD raptor sounded mean with supercharger. This turbo one, not so much.

However neither will the Gladiator, but i'm thinking with the roof off, wind in my hair, sun on my face, it'll be fun without a lot of noise.

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I can see the appeal. Kinda like a baja truck, the OLD raptor sounded mean with supercharger. This turbo one, not so much.

However neither will the Gladiator, but i'm thinking with the roof off, wind in my hair, sun on my face, it'll be fun without a lot of noise.
I don't know if you like the sound of diesel but...
If you get the diesel you will be able to hear it. My dad has a Ecodiesel Ram and it isn't so loud in the inside, but noticable, it is loud on the outside, you would definitely be able to clearly hear it in a soft top or top down. (Even stricter EPA emissions actually won't effect the sound much, just slightly). Newer small diesels usually don't have any mufflers, cat converts, or resonators to replace because the DEF system already muffles it. You could replace the DEF to make it louder, but as a diesel technician I don't recommend you do. Any DEF system newer than 2013-4 is fairly reliable and doesn't effect the reliability that much anymore. Performance gain is minimal. None of it is worth the money, time, pollution or trouble. The only point in removing it would be to roll coal or make your truck louder.

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know if you like the sound of diesel but...
If you get the diesel you will be able to hear it. My dad has a Ecodiesel Ram and it isn't so loud in the inside, but noticable, it is loud on the outside, you would definitely be able to clearly hear it in a soft top or top down. (Even stricter EPA emissions actually won't effect the sound much, just slightly). Newer small diesels usually don't have any mufflers, cat converts, or resonators to replace because the DEF system already muffles it. You could replace the DEF to make it louder, but as a diesel technician I don't recommend you do. Any DEF system newer than 2013-4 is fairly reliable and doesn't effect the reliability that much anymore. Performance gain is minimal. None of it is worth the money, time, pollution or trouble. The only point in removing it would be to roll coal or make your truck louder.
i had a TDI Jetta, i know not the same thing. This may sound like a stupid reason, but i'm thinking i don't want a diesel, because my normal commute is 6 minutes, and my TDI jetta rarely got any sort of warm before I got to work. It made driving in Wisconsin 5 months out of the year pretty cold, except for heated seats. I think the added torque would be great, but until this year, I have not needed to tow 5,000 lbs more than a few times in my life.

Thoughts?

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
i had a TDI Jetta, i know not the same thing. This may sound like a stupid reason, but i'm thinking i don't want a diesel, because my normal commute is 6 minutes, and my TDI jetta rarely got any sort of warm before I got to work. It made driving in Wisconsin 5 months out of the year pretty cold, except for heated seats. I think the added torque would be great, but until this year, I have not needed to tow 5,000 lbs more than a few times in my life.

Thoughts?
Do you mean the cabin or the engine didn't get warm?

The ecodiesel in the Ram came standard with a engine block heater, to get the cord you would need to yet the winter package or buy one separate for 10 dollars. I am assuming the Jeep will be the same way. 1 second to unplug from the house then 1 second to unplug from the truck then BAM the engine is already warmed up when you start it. Also you can get grille covers ($100) that stay on your truck the entire winter and won't even have to mess with except for twice a year, it will insolate the engine to help it warm up way faster, and your truck will start up fine after only sitting for 8-10 hours while you are at work.
If you are talking about the cabin then I don't think you will have issues heating it up in the winter if you get a hard top. It may take longer for the air to come out warm than if it was a gasser. If you do the things above you won't notice the difference. But in a modern diesel I would say that your cabin would be plenty warm by the time you get to work even with out the added stuff above as long as you get the hardtop.
The real question is do you want to spend the 4000 to get the diesel plus /or the $110 for the heater cord and cover.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Does that come with a 30 year mortgage?

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation