M/T's and Snow

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
First off, I've read enough to know these aren't a match made in heaven, but I have some questions for anyone with real life experience on this.

I recently picked up Rubicon takeoff M/Ts for my Sport S and originally was intending on on putting up my stock wheels with the Dueller A/Ts in the marketplace for a few hundred $. Now I'm torn and wondering if I should keep them to throw back on as basically my winter or snow tires. I live in south eastern PA and we really only get like 2-3 bad storms a year at this point with a few inches here and there otherwise.

So I'm wondering, are the M/Ts so bad in the snow that you shouldn't try them at all, or is it more like, don't go out and mess around in some deep snow and expect there not to be any hiccups type deal? Any thoughts, comments, horror stories?! Anyone with the stock Rubi M/Ts take it in the snow and can share how it went?

Also if you think I should swap out the wheels for the season, then how best to store them? I have room in the garage, but should they be upright or laying down? Would I be able to just bolt on and go, maybe inflate them a bit, or should they be re-balanced before I put them back on if they're sitting around for several months? Sorry, pretty loaded question, but I wanted to covered all bases, thanks!
Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
My experience is that MT's are good in deep snow, but iffy in light snow, slush, rain. I don't think the stock Bridgestone AT's will help you much. I recently studied tires a lot and could not come up with anything I would prefer over the Falken AT3W that I had previously used and liked. They are great in dry and wet, pavement and dirt. rocky trails, and snow. I got 255-80-17E and mounted them on Sport S aluminum wheels.

OP
OP
JTBurns

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
My experience is that MT's are good in deep snow, but iffy in light snow, slush, rain. I don't think the stock Bridgestone AT's will help you much. I recently studied tires a lot and could not come up with anything I would prefer over the Falken AT3W that I had previously used and liked. They are great in dry and wet, pavement and dirt. rocky trails, and snow. I got 255-80-17E and mounted them on Sport S aluminum wheels.
Alright cool, sounds like I'm better off just selling the old wheels, than spending the time swapping them back and forth. I did notice the Falken Wildpeaks are at least M+S rated, so I'm sure I'll be fine. I know how to drive in snow and not planning on doing anything silly. If anything I'll throw a shovel in the bed before venturing out. Thanks!
Sponsored