Sponsored

M/Ts get 97-mph max speed calibration

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Just curious if anyone noticed this under the details when selecting the Falken M/Ts.

speed.png
Sponsored

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious if anyone noticed this under the details when selecting the Falken M/Ts.

speed.png
I did now, but unless you are driving downhill with the wind to your back, you won't see 97mph.

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible
I'll probably order them now even though i was planning on AT before. They'll be replaced either way but I want that limit in case I ever let my kids drive it.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Well that is some BS. JK is okay at 90 with 35's :devil:..... well alright it's a bit scary, but certainly never felt like I was gonna die at any second

Sponsored

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
@jeepguy225 @RedTRex
I live in lower South Idaho and much of the i84 here is 80 mph speed limit but many people (including me) are going 85-90mph. My current car makes it to that speed fine sometimes it can get scary but it isn't that bad. How well do wranglers do at 80-85 mph? I test drove one but never took it on the freeway. Freeway driving is important for me because I need to use the freeway every day to get to work and every weekend to visit my parents in Boise (half of the i84 to get there is 80mph).

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
What sucks about that is they're doing that because of the speed rating of the tires. So, if you switch tires later, you're still stuck with the 97 MPH limiter.

But yeah, approaching triple digits in a Wrangler or Gladiator isn't wise anyhow. :)

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jeepguy225 @RedTRex
I live in lower South Idaho and much of the i84 here is 80 mph speed limit but many people (including me) are going 85-90mph. My current car makes it to that speed fine sometimes it can get scary but it isn't that bad. How well do wranglers do at 80-85 mph? I test drove one but never took it on the freeway. Freeway driving is important for me because I need to use the freeway every day to get to work and every weekend to visit my parents in Boise (half of the i84 to get there is 80mph).
I've gone about 95 mph in my JK with a 2.5" AEV lift and 35" KO2s on I-15 in Utah south of Payson where the speed limit is 80. It was a quick move to get past a slow truck before a hill. It definitely caused some butthole pucker, but I never felt like I was going to lose control. I just can't think of a conceivable reason I would ever go past 97. I work in finance and I've seen enough nonsense to know that a lack of controls is an invitation for bad behavior. I'll take that speed control, please.

OP
OP

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
if you switch tires later, you're still stuck with the 97 MPH limiter.
Right. This is along the lines of what I was thinking. If you opt for the M/Ts, you should know this programming exists for later reference. I figure two things: order without and swap/buy afterwards or dealers will likely be able to program for new tires/size or speed limiter configuration if you change. But I also agree going that fast in the first place is not recommended.:)

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jeepguy225 @RedTRex
I'd highly recommend the KO2 all terrain if you are doing a lot of highway driving. They have been fantastic for me. I never slip in snow or mud.
Right. This is along the lines of what I was thinking. If you opt for the M/Ts, you should know this programming exists for later reference. I figure two things: order without and swap/buy afterwards or dealers will likely be able to program for new tires/size or speed limiter configuration if you change. But I also agree going that fast in the first place is not recommended.:)
They can definitely reprogram the speedo when you put big ass new tires on it so I can't imagine why they couldn't remove a speed governor. I agree, this is info you would want to have about your truck.

Sponsored

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
@jeepguy225 @RedTRex
My 04 Rubicon, when I had it, would do 90 on 33's pulling a 6,000 pound boat. It was fine. 37's might be tough to hit 90.

cgoodwin0990

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Jeep YJ
Occupation
Adventure Education Programs Director
My YJ doesnt have any governor in it! And it'll get up to 70mph every once in a while! :/

Flyinarmbar

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Also when I hit 102mph, at no time did the Gladiator feel unstable. I would have climbed higher but ran out of hwy on 95n. Smooth sailing. We’ll see for next time
Sponsored