First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
So, id like to run a magnetic drain plug in the diffs. It seems that one of the main reasons we see locker failures in jt/jl is because of the metal gear shavings getting into the sensor, that are pulled it by the submerged magnet (brilliant design there)

Im thinking a rare earth magnet on the drain plugs would drastically reduce the possibility of this occurring.

Anyone know which one to get?
Sponsored

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Caterpillar technical communicator
Vehicle Showcase
You can actually add magnets to the outside of the cover. Just stick them on and they will hold the debris against the inside.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
You can actually add magnets to the outside of the cover. Just stick them on and they will hold the debris against the inside.
Why would you want the metal shavings to collect there instead of on the magnetic drain plug where they can be removed during an oil change?

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Why would you want the metal shavings to collect there instead of on the magnetic drain plug where they can be removed during an oil change?
I want them to stay put as far away from the locker as possible, down by the plug. For those add an additional magnet, you pull the magnet at change time and the debris settle, then pull the drain.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I want them to stay put as far away from the locker as possible, down by the plug. For those add an additional magnet, you pull the magnet at change time and the debris settle, then pull the drain.
It would be interesting to see if the metal shavings do as you propose, and don’t stay right there where they gathered. I really don’t know what would happen. I guess you don’t feel the stock magnetic drain plug is sufficient?

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
It would be interesting to see if the metal shavings do as you propose, and don’t stay right there where they gathered. I really don’t know what would happen. I guess you don’t feel the stock magnetic drain plug is sufficient?
Im not entirely sure, just that despite the stock magnet the particles do toast the mechanism. Someone said the arb diff covers i got have another magnetic drain they add, but i didnt look before giving them to the gear shop

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Are the lockers actually failing or are the sensors failing?

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Are the lockers actually failing or are the sensors failing?
Not wntirely clear. Im still investigating. My understanding from talking with my gear shop was that whatever has the magnet (actuator motor?) collects the debris and gets toasted

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
The drain plug isn't all that magnetic and a rare earth magnet low on the cover will grab way more particles. Generally not all that much a concern but you can alternatively get replacement drain plugs that have rare earth magnets on them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
My understanding is that most of the “failures” are sensors getting oil in them, not actuators with metal in them.
Could be. Shop that did my gears thinks its the metal being carried by the fluid. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Ill still pot it anyway.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Could be. Shop that did my gears thinks its the metal being carried by the fluid. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Ill still pot it anyway.
Yeah, too bad they aren’t from the factory. I figure if the problem was something other than the sensor, that the Tazer locker sensor bypass wouldn’t solve the problem, which it seems to do.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Yeah, too bad they aren’t from the factory. I figure if the problem was something other than the sensor, that the Tazer locker sensor bypass wouldn’t solve the problem, which it seems to do.
Thats a good data point. Thanks. Maybe the shop that did my gears is seeing a failure thats different than wht Im thinking.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I belive it is fine metal particles in the oil get into the locker sensor, and cause the problem, with the Jeep solution being to swap out whole rear as sensors are not avalible. My 2021 Mojave's started acting up at 90 miles in October 2020, I did the Z-Sensor delete as I can"t see it being a good idea to rip out whole rear assembly instead of swapping in an improved part. There have been posts of people getting two rears put in as replacement failed also as sensor is still the orginal style as far as I know. The Z-Sensor basically eliminate the wires going into differential for sensor, everything works as it should all dash lights light up , saying I am locked, but system does not know for sure. I can feel it, and I guess it is like light the headlight switch, you turn on the lights it lights up out front and you don't run into anything, but there is a light on the dash confirming they are on! It was posted by several people that it was acting up and they didn't do anything about it and after a short while rear locker is then disabled and not functioning! I might never get the sensor fixed , and Jeep is a long term at least 12 year thing for me.....Jack
Sponsored