Sponsored

Magnetic JT Armor, Thoughts?

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
So I was looking for a nice EASY way to help preserve my paint if I do go offroading here in the near future and I can't find much in the way of anything quick/easy to protect it except 1 site that has magnetic armor. This is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for but I've not seen anyone say anything about it. There are some similar products on Amazon that I can find reviews on and it seems to work. I'd like for it to protect the paint from minor scrapes and scratches from brush or possibly the odd rock/dirt being kicked up, I know it won't do much for dents and dings. I'm not in favor of having to drill anything into my JT and find this magnetic solution to be nice to just pull off when I'm done to be the best solution. It's going for $700 and seems to cover almost the entire side of the truck. What do you guys think? Used anything similar?

https://www.mekmagnet.com/products/mek-magnet-armor-jt?variant=31933684973649
Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
There used to be a company called Trailskinz that made something similar for the JK (when people still cared about their paint), but they seem to have gone out of business. The hardcore Jeep crew snubbed their noses at them, but they seemed to work well to prevent pin-striping. I'd consider a set on a brand new JT.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Doesn't protect the upper corners of the hood the doors or tops of the bedrails. Places most likely to get trail scratches from brush.

Just bring a chainsaw?

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I've seen the magnetics, cute idea in that you can remove it but no one ever does. The last "armored" jeep I saw was .120" sheet over the factory bodywork secured with rivnuts. A lot of weight to beef up the tub. I didn't see the point per se but then again I've got so many new england racing stripes I've stopped caring. If I was that concerned about the spiffieness of the paint I'd wrap it from new. Let the vinyl take the beating.

OP
OP
Sazabi19

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
I've seen the magnetics, cute idea in that you can remove it but no one ever does. The last "armored" jeep I saw was .120" sheet over the factory bodywork secured with rivnuts. A lot of weight to beef up the tub. I didn't see the point per se but then again I've got so many new england racing stripes I've stopped caring. If I was that concerned about the spiffieness of the paint I'd wrap it from new. Let the vinyl take the beating.
My new Jeep is leased and I want to protect the paint for obvious reasons. I love my clear coat gator and specifically sought that color. I don't really want to wrap and cover it up, plus that's a lot more expensive. I liked the idea that I could very easily take off the magnets when I wasn't using them.

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Doesn't protect the upper corners of the hood the doors or tops of the bedrails. Places most likely to get trail scratches from brush.

Just bring a chainsaw?
Yes, that is best for some trails, but here in BC there can be some really narrow trails with branches that sneak out and scrape along the sides. Low hanging limbs tend to push up and over and not do too much damage.

Personally, I just avoided those trails when my JKR was new, but once it gets one scratch you stop caring and give 'er.

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
i heard one criticism about the magnet protectors..they can end up scratching the paint during installation/removal. i guess just be real careful when you do that and they should work perfectly

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
I once ‘wheeled with a guy who had them on his JK. He was happy with them. Might be cheap insurance for a leased Jeep.

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Aren’t most panels aluminum? Therefore the magnet won’t stick. Just get a clear vinyl wrap that way you are protected but you get to see your beautiful paint.
That would be around 5k for a vehicle wrap. That being said, I wouldn’t use those magnets. Even dust could scratch the paint over time, if sitting in between the magnet and vehicle.

Sponsored

Punkngladiator

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma gone soon 2020 gladiator on its way
5k? You need to make some friends with those skills. I could do mine for about $1500 materials and beer.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
I had a magnetic tank bag for the Harley for a while. After a couple of good scratches I got rid of it. When I’d store the dang thing it would pick up anything that was ferric. Bits of dirt, chips of tiny metal from cutting or grinding something. I would look, feel and inspect the thing when I would put it on, but no way to find it all. And that was just two little panels the size of playing cards. Imagine one the size of the side of your Jeep. Poor idea in my book. Just my opinion

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a magnetic tank bag for the Harley for a while. After a couple of good scratches I got rid of it. When I’d store the dang thing it would pick up anything that was ferric. Bits of dirt, chips of tiny metal from cutting or grinding something. I would look, feel and inspect the thing when I would put it on, but no way to find it all. And that was just two little panels the size of playing cards. Imagine one the size of the side of your Jeep. Poor idea in my book. Just my opinion
Good points; thanks.
Sponsored