Magnuson Superchargers and reliability

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Just curious who has the most miles on their Magnuson, I keep seeing people post about everyone they know having to replace their engine by 20,000 miles with FI on the 3.6, and I'm curious what the experience here shows.
Sponsored

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Huh? I've spend days searching on superchargers on the 3.6l Maggi and Eddie's and not read one failed motor? Have real links?

There are failed motors on some of the turbo kits directly related to tuning issues.

The only real failed item I know of was for cat's and that was related to a bad egr valve (if I remember right) and had nothing to do with the SC.

The Maggie is the supper charger company used on the TRD that were factory backed kits for years on the Taco's. There are guys w 100k+ on them, many many many of them.

OP
OP
Fcmalie

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Huh? I've spend days searching on superchargers on the 3.6l Maggi and Eddie's and not read one failed motor? Have real links?

There are failed motors on some of the turbo kits directly related to tuning issues.

The only real failed item I know of was for cat's and that was related to a bad egr valve (if I remember right) and had nothing to do with the SC.

The Maggie is the supper charger company used on the TRD that were factory backed kits for years on the Taco's. There are guys w 100k+ on them, many many many of them.
Oh I agree, they never come up with any actual info. I don't think moderate tuned superchargers are going to do much to these engines at all. Was just curious how many miles people had gotten on them.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Nobody is doubting the supercharger itself's reliability. But the reliability of an engine/supercharger package is largely dependent on supporting modifications and the tune.

Supporting modifications include things like oil coolers upgraded drivetrain parts, lower compression pistons, etc.

Its difficult for any aftermarket supplier to engage in the the same level of component and integration testing that a manufacturer will do.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fcmalie

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I have over 26K supercharged. I think Misplacedtexan gas over 40K
I knew there were some higher ones here, hopefully I can get one done eventually. Towed just over 5000lbs yesterday and some extra power would be appreciated.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I think the issue from the Magnuson was the lambda values on the earlier tunes burning out the cats, more than it was the motors..?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I think the issue from the Magnuson was the lambda values on the earlier tunes burning out the cats, more than it was the motors..?
One will eventually lead to the other 😉

Pauliboy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Fence Contractor
Fitted my Magnuson at 57,000kms now done 15000kms and no issues. Using an Injen Cold Air Intake and Injen Snorkel as well as Corsa Cat Back Sport exhaust.

20230510_172001.jpg

20230825_163825.jpg

20230825_163836.jpg

Sponsored

River2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 sport s - 2018 Gx460 - 1992 SC400
Occupation
Construction
I got 14k on my Jeep with the Ripp kit and although I’m. Not in love with the tunes (finally broke down and reached out to Dave) the 3.6 is running fine. Oil analysis says it’s good. Total miles on engine 75k. My experience with the 3.6 has been good in the two vehicles I’ve had it.

Pauliboy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Fence Contractor
A guy I know has done about 90,000 kms now and he has done the majority of that towing a Patriot X3 Camper in the Australian Outback. Only issue he has had was the common right side camshaft and lifters which has also been a big issue just with stock vehicles. He replaced at 50,000kms and no issues since. He's running Magnaflow Cat Converters and Borla Exhaust.

Last edited:

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm approaching 10k on my set up with Dave's small pulley tune. Zero issues (knock on wood). I do drive it very conservatively tho, and try to never go above 5k rpms. Having 513 gears, I rarely have to go over 3k rpms, and when pulling my Opus, or any other trailer, I use manual shift to better control rpm range.

Snow-Jave!

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Silverado 6.6 TD
Occupation
Finding, getting and quitting jobs. Because they all suck.
I once test drove a 5-speed turbocharged Subaru Baja, it had terrible turbo lag. Then I tried an automatic next and the turbo was synched to the shifting so well I didn't even notice it.

I got a manual Mojave inbound and considering the Magnuson. Anybody got experience on how it performs when combined with a stick-shifter?
Sponsored