First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
I really wish my Gladiator had more power so once in a while I think of a supercharger. Then I come here and realize that there is not one reliable for the 3.6. So it's a hard pass for now and probably a long time.
Sponsored

J.Noack

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Business Owner
Same. Almost pulled the trigger several times. Just can’t convince myself to want to deal with the possible bullshit that comes along with it.

ArchEtech

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon M6
It would be awesome for a few days and the smiles until the check engine lights, bugs, and leaks inevitably start. There have been some people trouble free with them though. Man it would be fun!!! The 4xe might get close to those fun power levels. Why can’t we just have a manual v8 gladiator? No way I’m spending $90,000 on a 392 even if they made one and they won’t.

Pauliboy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Fence Contractor
Jeep refused service and warranty because of the supercharger. It is now at an independent shop getting a long block swap paid out of pocket. There is no oil left in the engine, it seems like it blew the block. I'll post the carnage pics once I have them, should hopefully be late this week.
How fast were you travelling when this happened? Were you towing or high load/revs?

JTGuy

First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
I would like to have more HP but the 3.6 is not good with supercharger mods. I drove a friends Wrangler 392 and no thanks. It's just noisy inside and the around town would get old. The Hurricane will save us IMO. BTW, I have 4.88s and run 91 always. It's not bad.

Sponsored

ArchEtech

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon M6
That I6 TT would be awesome but I don’t think they will do it.

crashnburn80

First Name
Crash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Supercharged Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Vehicle Design Engineer
How fast were you travelling when this happened? Were you towing or high load/revs?
Highway cruise, very little engine load. Never towed, was not at high revs or high load.

Pauliboy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fence Contractor
Highway cruise, very little engine load. Never towed, was not at high revs or high load.
Wow that's unusual. Do you think it may have been pre-ignition or backfire maybe? Was it under a no-load situation where you were just slightly on-off the gas? Also was it the conrod that went through the side of the block?

Last edited:

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Just got Dave's Tune done.

OMG why didn't you tell me it was SOOOOO much better?

If your running the Magnuson tune, email Dave, it's horrible in comparison.

Maggie tune issues I've always had: When the truck is warm if you stop then need to restart 75% of the time the truck would die. Can restart it give it a little gas and it would be fine. But this negates remote start and Auto Stop start never worked. Power delivery was horrid. Don't get me wrong it had power! You just got all of that power at 4500 rpm. At 3000 rpm it was if you were driving a stock truck, then hit 4500 and HERE have all the boost you want. It felt "cool" but in practice sucked. Especially towing, if you were not at 4500 you had nothing. Cold running, this dang thing would NOT shift, accelerating just normal old drive kids to school 35 mph it would rev out to 5k before shifting. Down shifting if you even looked at an bump on the freeway. Normal freeway rise to go over an under pass it would down shift to 6th for a 2 deg 200 yard hill.

Dave's tune; Every one of those items is gone. Power starts at 2k rpm, you actually have torque and it's linear through 5500 rpm. Feels like it should and drives like I really did put a supercharger in it! Auto Stop start and remote start now work! Cold driving is not an exercise in manually shifting the truck, it shifts when it should. Truck stays in 8th! OMG Truck stayed in 8th, I was shocked and giggling when it did this not only on an over pass but going up an incline! I have not had a chance to tow with it yet, but it feels so good now, I'm actually excided to test it. I don't have any trips planned but I think I'll hook up the trailer this weekend and just do a loop with it.

Dave is great to work with, has the tune to you quickly and does custom revisions with you to get it dialed in.

Only two reasons I didn't do it sooner, warranty, I had Maggie's warranty and my 3 years is up soon and cost. It's not cheep but as good as it drives I should have ditched the warranty and just tuned it earlier.

JTGuy

First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
Has the new tune passed CARB as the factory one did? Not passing smog is a problem in Calif.

Sponsored

Pauliboy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fence Contractor
Just got Dave's Tune done.

OMG why didn't you tell me it was SOOOOO much better?

If your running the Magnuson tune, email Dave, it's horrible in comparison.

Maggie tune issues I've always had: When the truck is warm if you stop then need to restart 75% of the time the truck would die. Can restart it give it a little gas and it would be fine. But this negates remote start and Auto Stop start never worked. Power delivery was horrid. Don't get me wrong it had power! You just got all of that power at 4500 rpm. At 3000 rpm it was if you were driving a stock truck, then hit 4500 and HERE have all the boost you want. It felt "cool" but in practice sucked. Especially towing, if you were not at 4500 you had nothing. Cold running, this dang thing would NOT shift, accelerating just normal old drive kids to school 35 mph it would rev out to 5k before shifting. Down shifting if you even looked at an bump on the freeway. Normal freeway rise to go over an under pass it would down shift to 6th for a 2 deg 200 yard hill.

Dave's tune; Every one of those items is gone. Power starts at 2k rpm, you actually have torque and it's linear through 5500 rpm. Feels like it should and drives like I really did put a supercharger in it! Auto Stop start and remote start now work! Cold driving is not an exercise in manually shifting the truck, it shifts when it should. Truck stays in 8th! OMG Truck stayed in 8th, I was shocked and giggling when it did this not only on an over pass but going up an incline! I have not had a chance to tow with it yet, but it feels so good now, I'm actually excided to test it. I don't have any trips planned but I think I'll hook up the trailer this weekend and just do a loop with it.

Dave is great to work with, has the tune to you quickly and does custom revisions with you to get it dialed in.

Only two reasons I didn't do it sooner, warranty, I had Maggie's warranty and my 3 years is up soon and cost. It's not cheep but as good as it drives I should have ditched the warranty and just tuned it earlier.
Sounds exactly like my tune done locally here in OZ.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Has the new tune passed CARB as the factory one did? Not passing smog is a problem in Calif.

Maggie’s tune is CARB I’m 99% sure, Dave’s is not as far as I know.

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Maggie’s tune is CARB I’m 99% sure, Dave’s is not as far as I know.
Their tune is not CARB for MY21+ iirc.

It still blows my mind that the hardware is so damn perfect (i.e. they took the time to develop and fit it), but the tune is shit and engines are blowing up.

JTGuy

First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
The tune has been the problem for some time now. If it works then it's not CARB.

Whiteoak323

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
ENG
I would like to have more HP but the 3.6 is not good with supercharger mods. I drove a friends Wrangler 392 and no thanks. It's just noisy inside and the around town would get old. The Hurricane will save us IMO. BTW, I have 4.88s and run 91 always. It's not bad.
Just sharing an opinion so others don't get persuaded. You are making 0% more HP with 91 octane. Unless the motor is tuned for the additional octane along with higher compression(or boost) there is no benefit. This isn't a Jeep thing. Octane rating is its resistance to self-ignition.

Some motors will have conditions in which if they are towing or under severe load may recommend higher then the normal octane rating. The 3.6 does not fall into that category as well.

If you would like to read more opinions, this has been reviewed.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/what-octane-gas-do-you-guys-run.44216/page-2
Sponsored