First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
IT
updated the tip in, it is less touchy. Also this tune has the acceleration enrichment update which is pretty significant. You will need about 20 miles on it for it to settle in as it is revamping some controls pretty significantly. I still need to do the manual version updates but I thought I would get the Auto version out as I am getting many emails, seems like this kit is taking off!
Can’t wait to try out the manual version!!
Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
updated the tip in, it is less touchy. Also this tune has the acceleration enrichment update which is pretty significant. You will need about 20 miles on it for it to settle in as it is revamping some controls pretty significantly. I still need to do the manual version updates but I thought I would get the Auto version out as I am getting many emails, seems like this kit is taking off!
Hey guys just a heads up. I was not happy with this tune today on a windy rainy interstate. The power I took out down low to ease the truck off the line, makes 8th and 7th to some extent feel sluggish. To top it off when the truck was cold it still was a bit hoppy. I have narrowed the root cause down, just dont seem to have a great fix yet. Basically when you first step into the pedal. The bypass valve closes real quick shooting a shot of air into the engine. This produces the hop,. Then the control system responds by cutting timing and opening the throttle blade. Once the initial surge has passed everything is fine. The fix I have been working on for the better part of two weeks was to temper the torque demand from 2K and below. This dialed back timing an throttle opening. This also allowed me to turn the gain up on the throttle control to combat the throttle instability that was happening. As of last nights testing I felt all was working close to how I wanted it. My trip this morning is making me rethink it. The torque demand is raised when the truck is cold, so that is the jump. Then the truck pulls almost 280 ftlbs of calculated torque fighting the wind, and rain in 8th gear at @ 1700-1800 rpm. With the torque limit I have in there now you can feel an obvious drop into 8th and power goes away. So back to the lab

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Dave this good for 2021 or only the 20 and earlier?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So tip in is still not exactly what I would call factory. It gives you the ability to modulate, but if you carelessly step into it it feels like it is going to rocketship but it does catch you, before things get crazy, it just feels uneasy, like letting an auto belay catch you when you let go of the rock wall. I am studying the heck out of it right now, because at one time I did have a pretty decent tip in, but the acceleration was not this smooth.

This file for the automatic has the 7 and 8th gear torque fixed up and it feels great on my truck

Manual guys, I apologize upfront. This file is not tested. I had no tester to ride in. If your up for giving it a try, and it has an issue let me know, take a data log, and I will work on it. I have modified pedal demand and it may have adverse affects on the manual. I can revert these and we can give it a try if you have complications.

Attachments

Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
So tip in is still not exactly what I would call factory. It gives you the ability to modulate, but if you carelessly step into it it feels like it is going to rocketship but it does catch you, before things get crazy, it just feels uneasy, like letting an auto belay catch you when you let go of the rock wall. I am studying the heck out of it right now, because at one time I did have a pretty decent tip in, but the acceleration was not this smooth.

This file for the automatic has the 7 and 8th gear torque fixed up and it feels great on my truck

Manual guys, I apologize upfront. This file is not tested. I had no tester to ride in. If your up for giving it a try, and it has an issue let me know, take a data log, and I will work on it. I have modified pedal demand and it may have adverse affects on the manual. I can revert these and we can give it a try if you have complications.
I am loving this update. It is definitely smoother and pulls hard early. Tip in is smooth and seems pretty consistent. This is truly beginning to feel factory.

One warning, it pulls hard during initial acceleration from a stop. I love this, but it won't be for everyone.

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Looking hard at a Magnusson, how does your tuning, or any tuning for that matter, correlate to a JTR with 513 gears?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need to have the configuration in the jeeps BCM. This can be done with the HP tuner Scanner or a Tazer. This not a "tuned" parameter just a setting the can be accessed with those tools.

Unfortunately that does not always address all of the possible side affects. It really depends on where your "NVRatio" ends up. This is why Magnuson has a page long disclaimer.

On the Automatic jeeps the trans tune I created, from scratch, was to get rid of that issue. It has basically three identical ahift schedules, that are identical but get activated depending on NVRatio sensed thus keeping loading the same no matter what and then utilizing my engine tuning as anticipated.

The manuals, I have had to make timing and fueling tweaks for as I cannot dictate how the engine is loaded.

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
You need to have the configuration in the jeeps BCM. This can be done with the HP tuner Scanner or a Tazer. This not a "tuned" parameter just a setting the can be accessed with those tools.

Unfortunately that does not always address all of the possible side affects. It really depends on where your "NVRatio" ends up. This is why Magnuson has a page long disclaimer.

On the Automatic jeeps the trans tune I created, from scratch, was to get rid of that issue. It has basically three identical ahift schedules, that are identical but get activated depending on NVRatio sensed thus keeping loading the same no matter what and then utilizing my engine tuning as anticipated.

The manuals, I have had to make timing and fueling tweaks for as I cannot dictate how the engine is loaded.
Yea, I have the vehicle calibrations set with my flashpak.
I was wondering how tuning is affected by the jeep having 513 gears. I believe that is what you are referring to as "side affects"?!

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, I have the vehicle calibrations set with my flashpak.
I was wondering how tuning is affected by the jeep having 513 gears. I believe that is what you are referring to as "side affects"?!
On the Magnuson tune, if your NVratio is maxed out, basically rolling resistance, then all your reserve torques will be off and take offs will be nothing and then boom come on all at once. The later tunes limit torque production down low to keep the hit from coming at part throttle. The problem is you don't get any additional power until you lean on it.

Higher gears will gerally help your NVratio, so it should be less side affects. The issue then is if you have an automatic, it can put you in weird spots in the shift schedule as your torque output no longer aligns with you transmission output speed. Mostthe time it is not to far off, but usually affects getting into 7th and 8th nd you rifle through 1-3 gear.

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Ive got an intermittent surging up and down at warm idle. Ive tested for vac leaks 2x and havent found any. Did a re-install of the lid just to be thorough.

my next guess is something in the throttle position sensor or an IAC valve issue.

is there an IAC on these and if so where is it?

thnx

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ive got an intermittent surging up and down at warm idle. Ive tested for vac leaks 2x and havent found any. Did a re-install of the lid just to be thorough.

my next guess is something in the throttle position sensor or an IAC valve issue.

is there an IAC on these and if so where is it?

thnx
What version of software are you running?

Couple things. Before the trans remap the the throttle control was on the ragged edge. It could of adapted into a bad area. There is no IAC the ECM controls the throttle opening for all elements. Idle being one of them. With my earlier versions I have almost no airflow being requested at idle. Also my thought was asking for no torque would help things. Theoretically yes, but the controller and throttle body do not have enough resolution to do what I am asking, so then the controller being pretty decent stats to try and crutch it with timing. It gets there but it is slow.

2nd thing, if you can take some data, I can check to make sure everything is working as expected.

My latest revs are rock steady at idle. I have taken the Throttle control out of the picture so to speak. The one draw back to this, which I have been working on, is when the throttle transitions from stationary back into control, it feels a bit abrupt at initial tip in.

Evo 91 that I have dialed in with the pulley, takes it a bit further and uses timing tip in with VVT timing, VVT position to combate this. It is allowing me to tune the smooth, so to speak. The bonus is the supercharger sounds really cool at tip in as I waste out the boost through the exhaust valves.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
What version of software are you running?

Couple things. Before the trans remap the the throttle control was on the ragged edge. It could of adapted into a bad area. There is no IAC the ECM controls the throttle opening for all elements. Idle being one of them. With my earlier versions I have almost no airflow being requested at idle. Also my thought was asking for no torque would help things. Theoretically yes, but the controller and throttle body do not have enough resolution to do what I am asking, so then the controller being pretty decent stats to try and crutch it with timing. It gets there but it is slow.

2nd thing, if you can take some data, I can check to make sure everything is working as expected.

My latest revs are rock steady at idle. I have taken the Throttle control out of the picture so to speak. The one draw back to this, which I have been working on, is when the throttle transitions from stationary back into control, it feels a bit abrupt at initial tip in.

Evo 91 that I have dialed in with the pulley, takes it a bit further and uses timing tip in with VVT timing, VVT position to combate this. It is allowing me to tune the smooth, so to speak. The bonus is the supercharger sounds really cool at tip in as I waste out the boost through the exhaust valves.
Much appreciated. (saw this after the PM I just sent)

I'll get back with ya.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Install costs?

what y’all running for your install?
Got quoted 2400$ Flat. Seemed high. It’s a Maggie dealer, the have done a few 3.6l.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Install costs?

what y’all running for your install?
Got quoted 2400$ Flat. Seemed high. It’s a Maggie dealer, the have done a few 3.6l.
If you could get it here I would put it on and tune it for 1500. If you do not have HP Tuner credits those would be additional.
Sponsored