Making a waterproof cover for a gladiator bed rack

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
I really like the Leitner and similar looking racks for the truck bed. However, they are not enclosed and most of the time I wouldn't want it enclosed. I could go the too expensive route of the rld design canopy or can-back canvas one, but it would be close to 4k for everything. What about making something to put on the inside of something like the leitner to keep most of the water out of the bed and provide shade for my dog? Would that be easy? Top cover might be enough, but sides would be nice too. What do you think?
Sponsored

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I've thought the same thing. I'd love a roll up tonneau cover or a folding camper that can be closed and opened with the leitner system

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've thought the same thing. I'd love a roll up tonneau cover or a folding camper that can be closed and opened with the leitner system
Hey that's an idea! I was thinking of strapping something to the top just under the cross bars.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I really like the Leitner and similar looking racks for the truck bed. However, they are not enclosed and most of the time I wouldn't want it enclosed. I could go the too expensive route of the rld design canopy or can-back canvas one, but it would be close to 4k for everything. What about making something to put on the inside of something like the leitner to keep most of the water out of the bed and provide shade for my dog? Would that be easy? Top cover might be enough, but sides would be nice too. What do you think?
@BuiltRight was considering making something like his low height RTT rack, but taller (like 22"), and then a guy could either skin it with plywood (me), or have a marine shop make a cover, or perhaps we could get a group buy on a marine cover. The rounded bars of the leitner don't let you mount stuff to them easily (so you have to buy their rack accessories perhaps?), but if it was flat like the max modular setup, then you could.

Thanks @ralphjjr for bringing this thread to my attention "subscribed".

Sponsored

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the plywould option would be relatively easy except for connecting it. The cloth version would be easy to connect, but would it be too loud flapping in the wind? Also, say you got the xl case for the leitner. Cloth could wrap around it on the inside, but plywood couldn't. I wonder if you could just get away with a plywood sheet at the top, but under the crossbars?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
the plywould option would be relatively easy except for connecting it. The cloth version would be easy to connect, but would it be too loud flapping in the wind? Also, say you got the xl case for the leitner. Cloth could wrap around it on the inside, but plywood couldn't. I wonder if you could just get away with a plywood sheet at the top, but under the crossbars?
Ahhhh, sounds like somebody is having the same thought exercise as I did/am.

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ahhhh, sounds like somebody is having the same thought exercise as I did/am.
I think I have it. First put a soft topper on it (softopper.com) then get the usrack.com truck cap rack that will fit over it. I did confirm these items for the gladiator are in the works for this fall.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I have it. First put a soft topper on it (softopper.com) then get the usrack.com truck cap rack that will fit over it. I did confirm these items for the gladiator are in the works for this fall.
How do you know the usrack will fit over?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ohh, like this? Functional yes, attractive no. I just hope my plywood topper isn't hideous

truck-cap-rack-10.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do you know the usrack will fit over?
Softopper told me us rack makes them for their soft top. I called us rack and they confirmed it

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're exactly right. It won't look good. That's the first thing I thought. But it is the most cost effective. I think you can get both for less than even the leitner. It really pisses me off.

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
Check this...I have been looking for similar set up for a bed rack with temporary weather proof panels for dogs and gear on trips not every day. Maximus-3 is working on it....

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...r-the-jeep-gladiator.23856/page-5#post-392814

I am still looking at others for possibly doing a panel system that slides into tracks like the DEEZEE bed rack or others, I think they are getting close. BC that taco with the softopper under the train tressel rack looks terrible and you have to either remove the rack to operate the soft topper or have a rack that is way too tall.
Sponsored