First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Chemist
I have owned several jeeps all with manual transmissions. The latest is the gladiator and that one is disappointing to say the least. I have changed out the clutch and flywheel with a centerforce clutch and high inertia flywheel. That helped with running slow, but it didn't fix the high reverse gear. You still have to feather the clutch to back up a trailer of any weight or drop it into low range. Why did jeep source such a crappy transmission and clutch? Are they trying to get people to not buy manuals? Or do they not care. I love the gladiator otherwise, but when i found out about the reduction in towing because of the manual my love wavered. Does anyone know of transmission swaps for the JT?
Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
I have owned several jeeps all with manual transmissions. The latest is the gladiator and that one is disappointing to say the least. I have changed out the clutch and flywheel with a centerforce clutch and high inertia flywheel. That helped with running slow, but it didn't fix the high reverse gear. You still have to feather the clutch to back up a trailer of any weight or drop it into low range. Why did jeep source such a crappy transmission and clutch? Are they trying to get people to not buy manuals? Or do they not care. I love the gladiator otherwise, but when i found out about the reduction in towing because of the manual my love wavered. Does anyone know of transmission swaps for the JT?
The transmission isn't necessarily the issue. It's the less than ideal factory gearing. 1st is fine, then a big gap to second, and another to 3rd, then 4th/5th/6th are super close.

ALL manual gladiators should have come with 4.56s from the factory, this would mask the huge jump from the 5.13 first gear to the 2.63 second gear. If you drive it like a honda (rev that thing to 4000 in first) it's fine. Reverse is still lame.

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
The JK's were the same. I ended up going into 4low for any reversing with a trailer when i had my 2 Door. Pointless to try in 2WD

OP
OP

Mad Dog

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Chemist
With my '03 Rubicon 5sp i never had any problem backing up the trailers or log splitter. JT just can't do it smoothly.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I felt the JK was fine, but the clutch uptake in a JL I sat in was abysmal. I'm glad I didn't assume it would be the same as the JK. The auto, by comparison, is an absolutely fantastic transmission. It's the first automatic I've owned in about 6 vehicles.

Sponsored

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
I have to agree with you. While this is my first Jeep, I have owned several vehicles over the years that are manual. This is the hardest one to smoothly work with. I have been intending in doing the flywheel replacement (Centerforce, etc.) but have not wanted to incur the added expense. But, I am going to have to do something.

Medical_Bartender

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Willys, 2015 JK Willys, 2001 Ram 2500
Occupation
Active Duty
I've got 4 manual transmission vehicles currently:

3/4 ton Dodge with NV4500
3/4 ton Dodge with NV5600
JK with NSG370
JT with Aisin AL6

Obviously the engines & gearing are just as important as the tranny, but I much prefer the NV5600/NV4500 to the Jeep transmissions. I agree that the JT is my least favorite manual so far. I don't mind it at all once up to speed and shifting around 40-50+ MPH, but the transitions between gears 2-3-4 just plain sucks. I wish we had more torque in the lower RPMs or better gearing.

Still like it more than a auto though.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Trade it in and get a Max Tow. Tows great and tows 7650lbs, that's the best solution I can offer. Get a automatic as well. It's 2023, I'm surprised they still offer manual transmissions on trucks And SUVs.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Use 4-low when you need to creep.
I agree that in truck platforms all manual transmissions should have very low first and reverse gears. My 4 cylinder Jeep TJ has to be the worst.

WoolyKris

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineer
Honestly cheaper to trade in and get Auto with max tow if you are planning to pull a trailer regularly. From multiple stick shift vehicles I have owned over the years JT is on the bottom of the barrel when it comes to clutch and gearing.

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
1st is fine, then a big gap to second, and another to 3rd, then 4th/5th/6th are super close.
How can you describe 1st to 2nd as a "big gap" (10mph) then call 4th to 5th (15mph) super close? How is 2->3 (10mph) a big gap while 5->6 (10mph) is super close?

I feel like I'm driving a completely different transmission than the rest of you when I hear some of these complaints. I'm not saying it's perfect (it's FAR from perfect) but whenever someone throws out legitimate complaints like "reverse is way too tall" or "dual mass flywheels give very little feedback" people who've only test driven one start taking the ball and running with it talking about stuff that doesn't even jive.

I drive one almost every day. Reverse is way too tall. Like 'amazed Aisin is even willing to build them this way' too tall. It's borderline hysterical. The dual mass flywheel isn't great, but you get used to it very quickly. I still hope the 3rd recall finally ditches the design for a traditional flywheel/clutch/pressure, but when they don't I won't be heartbroken. If you could access 4/5/6 at 35/50/60 instead of 40/55/65 that would be preferable, but it's a niggle not a failure.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
How can you describe 1st to 2nd as a "big gap" (10mph) then call 4th to 5th (15mph) super close? How is 2->3 (10mph) a big gap while 5->6 (10mph) is super close?

I feel like I'm driving a completely different transmission than the rest of you when I hear some of these complaints. I'm not saying it's perfect (it's FAR from perfect) but whenever someone throws out legitimate complaints like "reverse is way too tall" or "dual mass flywheels give very little feedback" people who've only test driven one start taking the ball and running with it talking about stuff that doesn't even jive.
you can't use mph as a gap. It's the numerical/ratio gap. And reverse is too tall.
Here are the gear ratios we are dealing with:

1st Gear5.13
2nd Gear2.63
3rd Gear1.53
4th Gear1.00
5th Gear0.81
6th Gear0.72

And the JK

1st Gear4.46
2nd Gear2.61
3rd Gear1.72
4th Gear1.25
5th Gear1.00
6th Gear0.79

See the weird gear spacing for the JT/JL?

jonsheritahe04

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 2018 F250 Super Duty
Occupation
IT Support
I think the answer to your question is yes, manual transmissions are not being invested in by Jeep or many other manufactures. The reduction in demand due to the number of people that can drive a manual continues to decline and most manufactures are putting investments in the EV segment.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
you can't use mph as a gap. It's the numerical/ratio gap. And reverse is too tall.
i can absolutely use cruise speed MPH differentials as a measure of a gap. As it is in fact a gap (distance between two things) and it's the gap that has more to do with how the vehicle is driven everyday than citing gear ratios.

I don't drive around going "i wish they used a single overdrive transmission instead of a dual overdrive transmission". I think "I wish 4th was usable at 35 instead of 40. And reverse is too tall"

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
My happiness came with the centerforce swap, but I had already re-geared to 4.56.
1st gear idles at 3mph, reverse is still too fast at like 5ish mph.

I noticed that 1st gear idles at like the normal 600rpm range, whereas reverse seems to engage a "high idle" condition closer to 1000rpm.

What I've started doing, instead of feathering my precious clutch, is letting it all the way out and using the brake to bog the RPMs down to idle speed.

There's almost nowhere in my daily driving that I'm comfortable with the idle speed in reverse, and I'm not even towing.
Sponsored