Manual Towing

Jeep4sale

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xj cherocheap
So i need a truck that can tow 5300lbs. I traded my manual rubicon in for a manual Tacoma TRD off road. (6400lbs capacity)

The tacoma ended up being a waste. The thing was terrible offroad. specifically i blew up three t-cases on the trail.
I wheel hard.

Never broke my jeep in 4 years.

a sport manual with 3.73 gears has a tow capacity of 4000lbs
a rubi manual with 4.1 gears has a tow capacity of 4500lbs

thats a 12% increase in towing with a .37 gearing increase.

4.56 is a .83 increase over 4.1 which is a 24% increase in tow capacity. which would be 5580lbs

4.88 gears would be even better.

will i die if i get the manual, regear it and tow more than 5300lbs?
Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Die? That seems extreme. Probably just be replacing clutch plates and machining fly wheels much more frequently than you would like.

I don’t tow much if at all, I am getting a m/t, however it is disappointing that the configuration I am choosing is giving up so much capability. They should have made a real m/t, with a manly pedal that you stomp on and long ass tracker throws. Its not a rice burner, I don’t care if the throws are 50% shorter and the clutch feels so soft.

One more bitch to get off my chest today. I finally decided on wheels today, but then realized the are several pounds heavier than other options. :mad:

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
So i need a truck that can tow 5300lbs. I traded my manual rubicon in for a manual Tacoma TRD off road. (6400lbs capacity)

The tacoma ended up being a waste. The thing was terrible offroad. specifically i blew up three t-cases on the trail.
I wheel hard.

Never broke my jeep in 4 years.

a sport manual with 3.73 gears has a tow capacity of 4000lbs
a rubi manual with 4.1 gears has a tow capacity of 4500lbs

thats a 12% increase in towing with a .37 gearing increase.

4.56 is a .83 increase over 4.1 which is a 24% increase in tow capacity. which would be 5580lbs

4.88 gears would be even better.

will i die if i get the manual, regear it and tow more than 5300lbs?
Yes, pretty much instantly - a giant fireball will fall from the sky and consume you and your trailer, oddly enough leaving nothing but plywood behind.

OP
OP

Jeep4sale

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xj cherocheap
Yes, pretty much instantly - a giant fireball will fall from the sky and consume you and your trailer, oddly enough leaving nothing but plywood behind.

at least it would be a legit story

Sponsored

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Unfortunately there aren't a lot of options to for towing with an M/T. To stay safer and legal you would have to step up to a 2500/3500 cummins Dodge to handle the load you are talking about.

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Yeah, but that was *yesterday* when he said that - I can't be expected to remember these things ;-)
I know how that goes, luckily I posted right after I read the original post.

Something else to consider OP, is that your M/T, from what I understand, will only come with a class II hitch. If your trailer is properly loaded you will need a class IV for the ~800# hitch weight. You may also need to beef up the suspension.

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I know how that goes, luckily I posted right after I read the original post.

Something else to consider OP, is that your M/T, from what I understand, will only come with a class II hitch. If your trailer is properly loaded you will need a class IV for the ~800# hitch weight. You may also need to beef up the suspension.
You can get a class IV on the Rubi with a M/T its part of the Trailer Tow Package, not to be confused with the Max Tow Package.

upload_2019-2-26_15-7-21.png

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
You can get a class IV on the Rubi with a M/T its part of the Trailer Tow Package, not to be confused with the Max Tow Package.

upload_2019-2-26_15-7-21.png
AH, thanks you're correct. I just looked at the max tow, I assumed the other would be class II from several people talking about that hitch on here. That's what I get for assuming.

OP
OP

Jeep4sale

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xj cherocheap
I do want to say the taco was a great truck other than it’s off road ability.

Another thing to point out. The JT is better in every aspect.

Larger brakes
4.7:1 first gear
Similar sized axle.
Twin disc clutch

How can the taco tow more than the JT manual?

I might just get a rubi manual and put 488s. The safety aspect would be fine but the wear and tear would suffer

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
AH, thanks you're correct. I just looked at the max tow, I assumed the other would be class II from several people talking about that hitch on here. That's what I get for assuming.
All trim levels come with the standard class II hitch. And on all trim levels you can opt to get a trailer tow package that has a class IV hitch. Not certain which trim level or levels you can also opt to get the maximum towing capacity. Believe you will have to get an automatic transmission in order to get that maximum towing capacity.

OP
OP

Jeep4sale

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xj cherocheap
So I reached out to Jeep for an explanation as to why the JT manual has a lower tow capacity. Their response was clutch life. I asked. No safety issues just clutch life.
Sponsored