Manual Transmission hiccup

rwd17

First Name
RUSSELL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Sport
Anyone else here with a manual transmission notice a hiccup in acceleration in 3rd and 4th usually between 1500-2000 rpms upon regular acceleration? Definitely not a smooth acceleration. No CEL's and have run through 2 full tanks of gas to rule out bad gas. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Fawkes

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Building engineer
I have gotten used to it but yes. Its quick and then goes away.

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
For me it's 2nd gear; its chuga chugging, then hits 2Krpm and takes the hell off... 3rd doesn't really do it, my guess its the VVT finally giving some decent torque. If i'm not paying attention and hit 2k in 2nd while turning onto a road, it'll break em loose... a little bit... in the rain...

OP
OP

rwd17

First Name
RUSSELL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Sport
For me it's 2nd gear; its chuga chugging, then hits 2Krpm and takes the hell off... 3rd doesn't really do it, my guess its the VVT finally giving some decent torque. If i'm not paying attention and hit 2k in 2nd while turning onto a road, it'll break em loose... a little bit... in the rain...

Yeah i'm not even hitting the gas enough to break tires loose in the rain. just normal conservative driving.

Sponsored

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Yes I noticed the occasional hiccup but this has largely gone away since I did the clutch recall and steering box recall. I had these two fixes done a week apart and it was after the clutch fix I noticed the hiccup went away. Dealer says they don't think there was a flash/software update, but the clutch hydraulic fluid line was bled so I'm wondering if that made the difference. I also wonder if a flash update covers general bug fixes in addition to targeting specific fixes; that could explain it.

Then again, maybe it's just time and mileage. I'm at 9K+ now and maybe things are just settling in. With software controlled everything, it's hard to tell.

After clutch and steering fixes my 6-speed is definitely running better than ever. I notice the sound of the electric steering boost/assist more now, but it doesn't bother me. Just sounds like it's doing more than it used to. Compared to wandery steering at highway speeds, I welcome it.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
My hiccup has gone away since I had the clutch recall and clutch bled.

gthanson

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
I've noticed this as well, particularly on a hill i climb every day on the way to work. If swapping out the clutch is the way to fix this then i'll definitely be looking into this.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've noticed this as well, particularly on a hill i climb every day on the way to work. If swapping out the clutch is the way to fix this then i'll definitely be looking into this.
Having it bled seemed to cure my minor issue. I’m planning on going with a Centerforce Clutch, flywheel in the hopefully near future. Really to improve grab for off-road and towing.

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave 2023 Bright White
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect
I am always above 2000 rpm so never noticed it. I shift up at 3000 or above so never see rpm below 2000.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No more hiccups!! Centerforce is soooo much better!

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
Used to have a hesitation around 1800 RPM under gentle throttle. Haven't noticed it in a while.

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave 2023 Bright White
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect
No more hiccups!! Centerforce is soooo much better!
I see two options on CF website for JT. Which one would be better for daily driving?

Jeep Gladiator Manual Transmission hiccup 1674365682515

I have good relationship with my Jeep dealership parts & service here, so I am thinking of getting it done through the dealership itself.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I see two options on CF website for JT. Which one would be better for daily driving?

Jeep Gladiator Manual Transmission hiccup 1674365682515

I have good relationship with my Jeep dealership parts & service here, so I am thinking of getting it done through the dealership itself.
I have the dual friction kit. I tow and off-road. I daily drive and took my JT to Yellowstone and back from Pennsylvania.
The only con I’ve noticed is that the clutch pedal requires more effort than stock. I suspect that a CF 2 kit would be closer to stock. I have not driven CF2 equipped Jeep so I’m not sure.
That’s a long way of saying CF2 is supposed to be more like the factory level of effort and Dual Friction is the heavy duty version. Either version is going to be way better than stock. Good luck!

phunktion

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys Sport
Occupation
IT
I know OP is probably long gone, but I have exactly the same symptoms on my 2022 Willys Sport MT (delivered July 2022, factory order) as OP described - so this isn't an early model clutch recall kind of thing. Gentle acceleration around 1500 RPM, incredibly noticeable (for me, sensitive to this) up gentle hills - feels like the engine is missing. It's done this since new, but I now have 4.88s and 35s - so plenty of gear/power to be able to gently accelerate with light throttle in 3rd at 1500 RPM - it's not lugging.

Annoying AF. Now have 6k miles on mine, and it hasn't changed, through the various mods I've done (but everything engine-wise is stock). Considering taking it to the dealer, which I dread, but I'm interested to get their take.
Sponsored