Manual transmission ratings

Triton63

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 ram 1500, 2015 jeep wrangler sport
Looks to me that the jt will have the aisin d478 6 speed manual in it. Anybody know what the power ratings for this trans are?

I've done some casual google searching and found one reference to 350 lbft but that was speculation. Not sure if I would want to take this on with my daily but sure would be awesome to have a manual behind that diesel.. would take some finagling to find one to swap in being that they are so new
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I wasn't able to find that info when I looked for it either. But the way today's vehicles are all wired up with CAN-BUS architecture my guess is that a guy wouldn't be able to just swap a manual in place of the automatic and call it a day. I'm betting that the vehicle computers would get really upset and the hard part of the job would be moving sensors, harnesses, and wiring around to make it all work.

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon; 2012 VW GTI ; 1999 S10 ZR2
Occupation
IT
I wasn't able to find that info when I looked for it either. But the way today's vehicles are all wired up with CAN-BUS architecture my guess is that a guy wouldn't be able to just swap a manual in place of the automatic and call it a day. I'm betting that the vehicle computers would get really upset and the hard part of the job would be moving sensors, harnesses, and wiring around to make it all work.
There are different engine calibrations for auto and manual, probably wouldn't work very well to swap unless you swap powertrain control module to manual as well.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
I wonder if there will be a diesel with manual for export. I doubt it, but if it's in the works, the means is there for a future swap.

I'm a little disappointed, but I keep hearing that the 8 sp auto is really good, and have come to accept it. I drive a 3.0 diesel in a WK right now, (with a craptastic 5sp auto) so I don't think I could handle the Pentastar 3.6, with it's low comparatively torque numbers, and normal induction. I live at altitude, and travel frequently up and over high passes, so forced induction makes a big difference.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
I wonder if there will be a diesel with manual for export. I doubt it, but if it's in the works, the means is there for a future swap.

I'm a little disappointed, but I keep hearing that the 8 sp auto is really good, and have come to accept it. I drive a 3.0 diesel in a WK right now, (with a craptastic 5sp auto) so I don't think I could handle the Pentastar 3.6, with it's low comparatively torque numbers, and normal induction. I live at altitude, and travel frequently up and over high passes, so forced induction makes a big difference.
After driving the 8 speed 3.6 combo, the JL/JT was the first vehicle I didn't even consider a manual in. There's zero point to it anymore, it's weaker, tows less, has worse acceleration, worse fuel mileage and is worse off road. I get that they're fun to drive, but I have a manual sports car for that that's way more fun to row gears in than any SUV or truck could ever be.

The engineer in me wouldn't let me make all those sacrifices for a manual, the same way 20 years ago I couldn't bring myself to buy an auto due to them being objectively worse at everything.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
After driving the 8 speed 3.6 combo, the JL/JT was the first vehicle I didn't even consider a manual in. There's zero point to it anymore, it's weaker, tows less, has worse acceleration, worse fuel mileage and is worse off road. I get that they're fun to drive, but I have a manual sports car for that that's way more fun to row gears in than any SUV or truck could ever be.

The engineer in me wouldn't let me make all those sacrifices for a manual, the same way 20 years ago I couldn't bring myself to buy an auto due to them being objectively worse at everything.
My current 5 speed auto is worse than anything.

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon; 2012 VW GTI ; 1999 S10 ZR2
Occupation
IT
Yeah thinking about the pentastar engine, the powerband is not ideal for a manual.

I really wanted a manual, but 4000 - 4500 lbs towing is less than my 99 S10 ZR2.

The 8 speed is pretty good imo.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I wonder if there will be a diesel with manual for export. I doubt it, but if it's in the works, the means is there for a future swap...
I was Just reading an article on the Fox News site:
https://www.foxnews.com/science/dodo-skeleton-auction
And now I come over here and read this thread.
Can't help but think the Universe is trying to tell me something.
I Love a manual transmission, but alas they will soon also be extinct.

avc8130

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
Drove the JT last week. Rubicon obviously with the auto. Seemed like a typical auto. Did everything I hate about autos.

Drove a JLU Sport w/ 3.45s and the 6 spd manual. Loved it. Exactly what I wanted.

I'll be ordering my JT with a 6 spd. Get em while you can!

ac

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
You can pry my MT from my cold dead fingertips regardless of any advancements in technology. It's not fun to drive unless I'm rowing and I'd rather lug it than hear downshifts on every hill.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Triton63

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2014 ram 1500 hemi with the 8 speed. I will say it's the best auto I've ever had but take that with a grain of salt.. I'm not a big fan of autos gear searching and hesitating to shift while I'm towing. I have done some towing with my wife's jk 3.6l and was rather impressed at how it did with the bass boat but didnt dare to hook up a load of wood. I like the mileage our of the diesel but not the reliability its had.

Either way (pentastar or ecodiesel) I'd like the manual and plan on adding power. It's been a while since I've been so excited to test drive something

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
I have a 2014 ram 1500 hemi with the 8 speed. I will say it's the best auto I've ever had but take that with a grain of salt.. I'm not a big fan of autos gear searching and hesitating to shift while I'm towing. I have done some towing with my wife's jk 3.6l and was rather impressed at how it did with the bass boat but didnt dare to hook up a load of wood. I like the mileage our of the diesel but not the reliability its had.

Either way (pentastar or ecodiesel) I'd like the manual and plan on adding power. It's been a while since I've been so excited to test drive something
I put mine in manual mode when towing so I can control downshifts. In normal driving it doesn't hunt and honestly it's so quiet and smooth I can hardly tell when it shifts unless I look at the tach.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The D478 has gotten positive reviews, but the main problem I see with it is that the ratios in 2nd thru 6th all got "taller" i.e. numerically higher. This is what adds to the sluggish feel that a lot of JL owners have been reporting.

My first two vehicles at 16 and 19 were manual pickups. After that I had a manual Mustang GT. I had two manual Jeep Wranglers, a YJ and a JKU. I currently have a Mach 1 with a manual (which I'm driving to work today actually). So obviously I wholly understand the love for manual transmissions.

But, the fact of the matter is that driving a manual is only "fun" if you're on a highway or uncrowded area. As soon as you hit thick city traffic it sucks. Nobody can with a straight face say that they actually enjoy driving a stick shift in a traffic jam. So, the "fun" aspect only happens half the time.

Then you've got all the other drawbacks: more dangerous offroad, have to set the parking brake every time you step out of it onroad due to increased fear of it popping out of gear, slower, less towing capacity, more maintenance over time, less interior space around the console, less resale value, slightly less fuel efficiency, increased engine wear if you lug it in lower gears often, etc. etc.

The only true positive I can think of is that most people these days can't steal it. :)

millennialtheftdevice.jpg

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
The D478 has gotten positive reviews, but the main problem I see with it is that the ratios in 2nd thru 6th all got "taller" i.e. numerically higher. This is what adds to the sluggish feel that a lot of JL owners have been reporting.

My first two vehicles at 16 and 19 were manual pickups. After that I had a manual Mustang GT. I had two manual Jeep Wranglers, a YJ and a JKU. I currently have a Mach 1 with a manual (which I'm driving to work today actually). So obviously I wholly understand the love for manual transmissions.

But, the fact of the matter is that driving a manual is only "fun" if you're on a highway or uncrowded area. As soon as you hit thick city traffic it sucks. Nobody can with a straight face say that they actually enjoy driving a stick shift in a traffic jam. So, the "fun" aspect only happens half the time.

Then you've got all the other drawbacks: more dangerous offroad, have to set the parking brake every time you step out of it onroad due to increased fear of it popping out of gear, slower, less towing capacity, more maintenance over time, less interior space around the console, less resale value, slightly less fuel efficiency, increased engine wear if you lug it in lower gears often, etc. etc.

The only true positive I can think of is that most people these days can't steal it. :)

millennialtheftdevice.jpg
Right you are Sir. Traffic does suck bad with a MT. 90% of my vehicles over the years have been manual including the 01 Vette I have. But, my Jk is auto and so will my JT be. BTW that is a super cool pic

OP
OP

Triton63

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also use the manual shift buttons in my truck while towing along with tow haul mode. It definately helps and doesnt go into mds mode (which hits pretty hard when it goes from v4 to v8 during a downshift while towing).

My last 2 trucks and most recent car have been auto so it's been a few years since I have daily drove a stick and I miss it. I figure it's either going to be a gladiator or ram 2500 cummins.
Sponsored