Sponsored

Manual Transmission Trailer tow package... how i just learned i paid $645 for a hitch receiver and nothing else.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
So the trailer tow package is:
1. 240 amp alternator
2. class 4 receiver
3. engine cooling
4. trailer hitch zoom

Number 1 it already comes with my switch package (already knew)
Number 2 is nice, but easily bought and installed myself. Can even do it without drilling by taking the rear bumper off.
Number 3 i have been told is standard on the mojave (not 100% sure on this one, but i believed it to be true, and believed so before ordering)
Number 4 is not available with manual transmission with the 8.4 unless you also have front trail cam? What logical sense does that make? You can have it on manual... unless you have the wrong radio... then you can get it back with an option that is completely unrelated?

I picked a $645 package that i assumed I'd get 2 useful things out of, but I just discovered i'd only get 1.

So, can anyone definitively refute point 3 (research here has shown mixed results) so maybe at least I can feel a little less taken advantage of? Or confirm it so I know i wasted money and can berate myself for poor reading skills?
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I have the 7 inch screen on a manual, but I have trailer hitch zoom.

I think the consensus from a lot of Mojave (not just manual) owners is that the Mojave package already has most of that stuff anyway (cooling). For us Rubicons and Sports, overlands, etc. though, it adds a few things, and we DO get the trailer hitch zoom, at least on the 7 inch. Can't imagine why the 8.4 would be different.

Yes, your Mojave already has the better fan.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Did you actually pay that - or did it zero out some other package?
Last night I "built" an Overland on the Jeep site. I chose the tow package, then down lower there was another set of options or packages, which included some of the trailer tow stuff. When I went back up the screen I found the trailer tow package now had a $0 price.
When I unchecked the other package that duplicated the TT, then the price went back up again.
So I wasn't really paying double in THAT case, on my build.............
Frankly, the Mojave manual transmission tow rating is low enough the tow package isn't going to add anything the truck doesn't already have because it is a Mojave - except maybe the receiver?
Odd about the zoom thing.
IMO, if you are going to tow regular, Mojave manual trans isn't the top tow Jeep so I'd not be real concerned - I'd buy Mojave for other reasons, not for towing. Towing is one reason I didn't buy a stick.

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Did you actually pay that - or did it zero out some other package?
Last night I "built" an Overland on the Jeep site. I chose the tow package, then down lower there was another set of options or packages, which included some of the trailer tow stuff. When I went back up the screen I found the trailer tow package now had a $0 price.
When I unchecked the other package that duplicated the TT, then the price went back up again.
So I wasn't really paying double in THAT case, on my build.............
Frankly, the Mojave manual transmission tow rating is low enough the tow package isn't going to add anything the truck doesn't already have because it is a Mojave - except maybe the receiver?
Odd about the zoom thing.
IMO, if you are going to tow regular, Mojave manual trans isn't the top tow Jeep so I'd not be real concerned - I'd buy Mojave for other reasons, not for towing. Towing is one reason I didn't buy a stick.
Dealer showed me the POC. I'm definitely paying 645 (well, invoice minus 3% is $562.60 but the point stands). nothing else is zero'd out, the switch package (shares the alternator) isn't price reduced. Mojave doesn't have any grouping packages like sport or overland that reduce other option prices.

here's my POC (edited out everything that was $0)
23D Mojave
48025​
45788​
Gobi Clear Coat
495​
446​
Locking Lug Nuts
65​
59​
Black 3-Piece Hard Top
1695​
1526​
Auxilary Switch
395​
356​
Trailer Tow
645​
580​
Gas
0​
12​
Destination
1595​
1595​
Total Price
52915​
50362​

$0 tow package on overland sounds like popular equipment package to me. Should go back up to original cost when removing the package.

Towing is one reason I didn't buy a stick.
For me it's the other way around. Stick is the reason I don't plan on towing often.

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Can't imagine why the 8.4 would be different.
I can't imagine it either, but this is how it's worded on Jeep's B&P

The 4X Trailer Hitch Zoom[1], available on the ParkView® Rear Back Up Camera[2], aids in lining up a trailer to the vehicle's trailer hitch more precisely. When so equipped, it allows the driver to toggle between the normal camera view and the 4x zoom mode centered on the trailer hitch. Not available on vehicles equipped with both the manual transmission and the 8.4-inch Uconnect® touchscreen, without the forward-facing TrailCam

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Getting the Front Trail Camera adds a Video Processor to the system which also changes the Rear View camera that is installed. FCA programming may require the Video Processor for the Zoom feature to function with a Manual Transmission.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't imagine it either, but this is how it's worded on Jeep's B&P
So, you have to get the trail cam to get a manual 8.4 inch and trailer zoom? One would think anything on the 7 inch would be on the 8.4". Interesting. But nothing a tazer or jscan can't fix.... The functionality is there.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Since you bought this with the idea of not towing........... it sounds like your profile matches the market research Jeep did to decide on these combinations and lack of zoom in certain cases.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Getting the Front Trail Camera adds a Video Processor to the system which also changes the Rear View camera that is installed. FCA programming may require the Video Processor for the Zoom feature to function with a Manual Transmission.
But only on the 8.4? That's an interesting limitation for the upgraded screen.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since you bought this with the idea of not towing........... it sounds like your profile matches the market research Jeep did to decide on these combinations and lack of zoom in certain cases.
But only limited on the 8.4 (the "better" screen)? That's sone weird marketing research! The 7 inch has it on any towing package equipped JT. I'm thinking he can add it with a jscan or tazer.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
But only on the 8.4? That's an interesting limitation for the upgraded screen.
I would guess it's a difference in the back-end programming. The 7 and 8.4 Uconnect probably come from different manufacturers.

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
if i bought it with the idea of not towing, i wouldn't have gotten the tow package. I bought it with the idea of towing rarely. You know, the exact type of person who would benefit from a hitch zoom, someone who never does it often enough to gain the experience to not need that feature.

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I would guess it's a difference in the back-end programming. The 7 and 8.4 Uconnect probably come from different manufacturers.
Almost certainly, but why would the transmission affect that at all? And if the transmission affects it, why does front cam add it back in?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Almost certainly, but why would the transmission affect that at all? And if the transmission affects it, why does front cam add it back in?
The transmission type could be affecting the sensor input to or bus communication with the head unit. The Front Camera requires the addition of a Video Processor that normally is not installed. The CPU and programming differences between the head units could require the Video Processor to make it function properly. Without access to the technical details from Jeep, it is difficult to say why.

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
So the trailer tow package is:
1. 240 amp alternator
2. class 4 receiver
3. engine cooling
4. trailer hitch zoom

Number 1 it already comes with my switch package (already knew)
Number 2 is nice, but easily bought and installed myself. Can even do it without drilling by taking the rear bumper off.
Number 3 i have been told is standard on the mojave (not 100% sure on this one, but i believed it to be true, and believed so before ordering)
Number 4 is not available with manual transmission with the 8.4 unless you also have front trail cam? What logical sense does that make? You can have it on manual... unless you have the wrong radio... then you can get it back with an option that is completely unrelated?

I picked a $645 package that i assumed I'd get 2 useful things out of, but I just discovered i'd only get 1.

So, can anyone definitively refute point 3 (research here has shown mixed results) so maybe at least I can feel a little less taken advantage of? Or confirm it so I know i wasted money and can berate myself for poor reading skills?
I will say that when I noticed the overlap on several different packages like this, I brought it up to my dealer, and they had their ordering guy print out a detailed numbers sheet- the online configurator is sketchy and approximate, but when you actually go onto the build, those overlaps should be balanced out, and the actual numbers adjusted. Mine were.
Sponsored