20HBPJT

First Name
Ariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/20/harbor-freight-jack-stands-recall/

Harbor Freight is recalling over 1.7 million Pittsburgh-branded jack stands that can suddenly collapse due to a manufacturing flaw. It warned its customers that they need to stop using the defective stands immediately.

The recall campaign includes three- and six-ton stands wearing item numbers 56371, 61196 or 61197. The number is found on the label that's normally affixed to the top or the base of the stand depending on the model; it should be clearly legible. Harbor Freight told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) it realized the tooling used to make the stands near Hangzhou, China, had become worn out due to age and was manufacturing inconsistent parts. As a result, the ratchet teeth might not be deep enough to hold the lifting extension in place if a shift in weight occurs, like when you're banging on a rusty brake drum with a mallet, and the stand could collapse without warning. That's bad news if you're under it, working on a 4,700-pound SUV.

A4B9754E-F47D-481B-BFD5-D29517AC463C.jpeg
Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
OP
OP

20HBPJT

First Name
Ariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I do buy some stuff from HFT, but would never buy ANYTHING from them that if it failed could threaten life or limb.
Congratulations your smarter than me. I bought the jack and two stands but I always take off wheels and place them underneath too I know of people that have been seriously hurt or killed because they put too much trust in a jack and or stand.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Congratulations your smarter than me. I bought the jack and two stands but I always take off wheels and place them underneath too I know of people that have been seriously hurt or killed because they put too much trust in a jack and or stand.
Not smarter. Just my choice.

TREDpunk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Wage Slave
Thanks for posting. I've got some stands from HF, will have to check.

When it comes to choice of products; Anything can fail. I've personally seen the aftermath from a very popular "big brand" of products fail and cause major harm. We all hope products do what they're engineered to handle but sometimes things go wrong.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Sadly this probably extends to a lot of other brands, its not like that factory was only producing for just HF.

Good on HF for actually saying something.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I just checked mine. I have four 3 ton HF stands that have the recall numbers. My two 6 ton stands do not have the recall numbers. I also have a pair of Big Red stands from tractor supply that look identical to the Harbor Freight stands.

I called the local HF and they said to bring them back.

Thanks to @20HBPJT for the heads up.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the heads up, I got to check if the set I bought are on the list. :facepalm: damn I hope the A## that got my good ones enjoys them. Why I had to get the H.F. ones

Sponsored

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for sharing

bluedevil1

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 F250 Diesel
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
Sadly this probably extends to a lot of other brands, its not like that factory was only producing for just HF.

Good on HF for actually saying something.
I agree with @ACAD_Cowboy's comment that while HF may have a big recall, it's just a matter of time before more companies are impacted (if they come clean). My six ton were not bought at HF, but they look identical, made in China, and I wouldn't doubt they were made in the same factory. They were certainly made in the same time period (bought in 2014).

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I agree with @ACAD_Cowboy's comment that while HF may have a big recall, it's just a matter of time before more companies are impacted (if they come clean). My six ton were not bought at HF, but they look identical, made in China, and I wouldn't doubt they were made in the same factory. They were certainly made in the same time period (bought in 2014).

I have a couple purchased from Sears in the mid to late 90s that look exactly the same.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldnt be surprised if almost all of the "non premium" brands were impacted. Its a simple common design & most of us are probably using the same thing with a different name or very slight differences.