Max Modular 18" bedrack install and review

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
After a lot of research, a lot of thinking and a lot of measuring I went ahead and bought the KB VooDoo MAX Modular 18" aluminum bed rack with the tonneau cover brackets and the JT trail rail brackets for my JT. As I was pointed over to the Taco site and several threads about poor powder coating, seems there were quite a few issues with KB VooDoo in this regard.

I went into this purchase fully aware that I would probably have to repaint this rack at some time. I accepted this because I use my Jeeps and have never shied away from getting to where I wanted to go and so it will probably need touch ups down the line anyway.

Kevin at KB promptly answered any questions I had and answered all my emails quickly which was contrary to what I had read about CS there.
The rack came and with trepidation I unboxed it and inspected the parts. I could find no flaws in the powder coat, it looked really good to me. It was packaged well in heavy plastic sleeves, wrapped in bubble wrap, taped together tightly to reduce any banging together in transit. Hardware packages were labeled in respect to which nuts and bolts were used with what parts.

Directions? Really there were none but a diagram labeling each part in the assembly. That was it. It wasn't hard to figure out the assembly and I'm sure it could be done several ways. Being a longtime toolmaker, it comes naturally to me while others would have a frustrating time I would think.
The first issues that came up was, when I ordered this rack, i was expecting all the parts would be aluminum. Not so, The rack is but the mounting brackets are all steel. I really wish they would say this up front on their website. I will have to watch out for rust in regards there but I can live with it.

The next issue that reared its head was was the sizing on the slots, square holes ( carriage bolts) and holes on the steel brackets, they were all slightly undersized and very tight. It first I thought this was just from the powder coat but no, the sizing was small and I needed to correct those issues, especially in regard to the slots which are there for alignment.

A drill and a file did the trick and then some touch up painting. After that they went together well. I was worried that hole and slot locations would be off but in fact they were very precisely located and every went together without a hitch with the pieces they made.
The next issue is the front trail rail brackets have a slot which lines up with the tee nut slot in the trail rail. This slot really needs to be moved back another 1/2" and everything would fit very well. There needs to be a 39" center distance between the front and rear brackets and there lies the problem. With the rear bracket as far back is it can go bumping up to latch bracket for the factory tonneau, the front bracket slot for the tee nut is almost halfway out of the slot into the opening for inserting the tee nuts and movable factory tie downs. This make the nut want to cock as you tighten it down and so leaves a much lesser bearing surface to hold tight to. This needs to be modified at KB in their manufacturing process.
Jeep Gladiator Max Modular 18" bedrack install and review IMG_3998

The last issue I had was that the tee nuts are too tall so that top of the nut contacts the bracket before the rail slot. In other words the brackets will tighten to the rail. I needed to grin .030" to .040" off the tops and again repaint them.

Jeep Gladiator Max Modular 18" bedrack install and review IMG_4001

With this taken care of I was wondering how many other things would be in need of remedies. Not to worry, those were all the issues and low and behold the rest went together very, very well.

The parts are all well made and very robust. when everything is together and you tighten all the pieces up ( always leave all bolts slightly loose until everything is together and in its place) this rack is very solid. you can grab it anywhere and pull and shake but all I could notice is the body of the truck rocking on the suspension.

The mentioned issues may sound like a lot but they weren't major except the bracket slot location. They were mostly annoying fixes that should not have to happen but they do and every manufacturer will have some issues. You give them feedback and the good ones will listen and correct in the next generation. I give this rack an A- initially but time will tell

Jeep Gladiator Max Modular 18" bedrack install and review IMG_4002

Jeep Gladiator Max Modular 18" bedrack install and review IMG_4008

Jeep Gladiator Max Modular 18" bedrack install and review IMG_4009
Jeep Gladiator Max Modular 18" bedrack install and review IMG_4009

Jeep Gladiator Max Modular 18" bedrack install and review IMG_4011

Jeep Gladiator Max Modular 18" bedrack install and review IMG_4012

Jeep Gladiator Max Modular 18" bedrack install and review IMG_4013

Jeep Gladiator Max Modular 18" bedrack install and review IMG_4014

Jeep Gladiator Max Modular 18" bedrack install and review IMG_4015

Jeep Gladiator Max Modular 18" bedrack install and review IMG_4016

Jeep Gladiator Max Modular 18" bedrack install and review IMG_4017
Sponsored

2020Glady

First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Having issues installing same rack.. which brackets in front?
Cause this doesn’t work

66167733-97E8-45BC-882C-FC094E2528BC.jpeg