Sponsored

Max off camber tolerance before rolling. . .

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
I tried searching for this but couldn’t find anything on it. I know there will be many factors such as mods, trail conditions, etc. but is there an accepted or recommended max in degrees a Rubi Gladiator can tackle safely without fear of rolling?

I got curious because the other day I got on a pretty off camber trail and naturally started wondering if I might of bitten off more than I could chew. I didn’t have off road pages on at the time so I’m not sure exactly what it actually was. I knew I would probably be OK as long as the road didn’t wash out under me. I made it out fine but it was still pretty ass puckering. . .
Sponsored

Last edited:

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
The only way to find the limit is to screw up. :) I haven't screwed up yet. However, I start squealing arond the 17% mark, especially if it is bumpy and especially if it is leaning towards me. I've been to 30 degrees up and down. That still felt very stable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dryfly24

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
That’s funny because 17* is right about where I turn into a little girl myself. 😁 This was over that I’m sure. It suckered me in and then it was too late to back out so I was committed. The worst part is that I was alone and had to do it twice because it was the only way in and the only way out. Won’t do that again. . .🤡

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I saw 23 degrees laterally and it was really pucker. No clue what it looked like on the outside though.

I would imagine there is the number published by Jeep that say it is safe hot “xx degrees” but lifts and larger tires will adversely affect that number.

Sponsored

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It's not just how far over you go. Part of the scare fator is where you might land. :) This film clip is on Mount Princeton Rd, near Buena Vista, CO. I looks pretty tame but it was a hairy spot. Going up, the road bed was 10° off camber. When I came to this rocky spot, I was going to go through by putting my passenger wheels on the big rock that was in my lane. When I put the front wheel up on the rock, it was quite exciting. I backed up and went around the rock, flirting with the edge. Coming down, I decided I could straddle the rock. It was the right move. :) Still, it was 5° down and 15° to the right.

SuperUltraMan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon, JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Human Being
Glad to hear that you experienced that Whoa Shit moment when you are convinced that “Pucker Factor” is the only thing that was holding you into your seat along with the death grip on that steering wheel!
Welcome to Off Roading!
Congratulations!🎊🎉

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Lifted at around 3.5” on 37”s, if I average the front to rear (they’re different), I start to feel uncomfortable at 22ish, but have had roll in the high 20’s a couple of times. I always go extremely slowly when off camber to limit suspension compression that could increase the body angle. When I first got it, 15 degrees bothered me. Now I don’t even notice 15.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Lifted at around 3.5” on 37”s, if I average the front to rear (they’re different), I start to feel uncomfortable at 22ish, but have had roll in the high 20’s a couple of times. I always go extremely slowly when off camber to limit suspension compression that could increase the body angle. When I first got it, 15 degrees bothered me. Now I don’t even notice 15.
I should add that I have no interest in ever seeing a roll of 30 degrees, but I likely will at some point. I won’t like it though. I agree with others that 30 pitch degrees up or down isn’t nearly as bad, as long as it’s not combined with roll. That sucks large donkey balls.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I've been to 30 once, it felt like I was sitting on the door. The stock Mojave I was with that had a tent on the bed actually started lifting the outside tires on that same section so I find 30 to the absolute max I'm willing to go.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I've been to 30 once, it felt like I was sitting on the door. The stock Mojave I was with that had a tent on the bed actually started lifting the outside tires on that same section so I find 30 to the absolute max I'm willing to go.
Agreed. 30 is scary.

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
This is my TJ in the Smokys. My wife was driving. We got a big lean on becuase the ruts were so uneven. This wasn't too scary to me. If we rolled we were not going anywhere :) On the other hand, my wife was pretty tense. Listen for the Ooooooo noises. She sounded like Popeye's girlfriend, Olive Oyl, when Olive was worried.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Bone stock, 32 degrees. Think if I was lifted. I would have been on my side. What ever you watch the video on. Twist it around to keep the trees vertical.

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
I saw the mid 20’s a few times at AOAA today, mostly in the high teens though. 35 x 12.50’s with a Clayton 2.5” lift felt pretty planted and like there wasn’t a lot to worry about. I definitely will not be the one here trying to test the limit though.

Ozian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUS, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I hit 32 degrees roll and 21 degrees pitch back when I just had a 1.5" levelling kit and 34s. I don't EVER want to do that again, especially now I'm lifted a fair bit higher. :whew:
Sponsored