First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
I've beed doing a bit of research yet I cannot find an answer. What configuration of Gladiator does it take to get the max payload? 1,600 LBS

The Manual only has the definition of payload on page 350... haven't been able to find an answer in here.

This dark screen shot is from the web based gladiator brochure and it seems like the base sport doesn't get the 1,600
Screenshot_20190816-170240_Chrome.jpg

this light screen sot is from TFL Truck and they only say D478 Manual, that's what I first saw so I was hoping I could get the base sport and have the 1600 payload
20190816_170518.jpg

anybody know what D478 stands for?
Sponsored

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
I've beed doing a bit of research yet I cannot find an answer. What configuration of Gladiator does it take to get the max payload? 1,600 LBS

The Manual only has the definition of payload on page 350... haven't been able to find an answer in here.

This dark screen shot is from the web based gladiator brochure and it seems like the base sport doesn't get the 1,600

this light screen sot is from TFL Truck and they only say D478 Manual, that's what I first saw so I was hoping I could get the base sport and have the 1600 payload
20190816_170518.jpg

anybody know what D478 stands for?
I've been puzzling over this as well. The brochure seems to indicate that max payload is only available on a Sport S with manual transmission and no tow package. The next line down shows a 450 lb drop in GVWR with the addition of the tow package (no idea why this would be). The TFL chart makes no mention of the base tow package, but implies that any Sport with the manual can haul 1600 lbs. I'd be very interested in some confirmation about how these options affect payload. It's not like those of us custom ordering one can look at the "official" placard on the door before making a decision.

@JeepCares, do you have more info about this?

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
Sport S with Max Tow Package gets you the max payload

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
Sport S with Max Tow Package gets you the max payload
Actually, no, both sources above indicate that max tow results in a slightly decreased payload. That makes sense since the wider axles, beefier components, and mandatory slushbox will add weight. Jeep has advertised from the beginning that max payload is 1600 lbs and both sources above indicate the same. The question is which build options give you that max payload.

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually, no, both sources above indicate that max tow results in a slightly decreased payload. That makes sense since the wider axles, beefier components, and mandatory slushbox will add weight. Jeep has advertised from the beginning that max payload is 1600 lbs and both sources above indicate the same. The question is which build options give you that max payload.
Okay, stand corrected, payload of Sport S with max tow is 1550

The 1600 looks to be Sport S with Manual transmission according to the chart

Sponsored

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Max payload is Manuel transmission. You just lose towing

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
The springs in the Max Tow I've read here somewhere are a stronger spring to allow increased tongue weight.
That would make some sense - probably to reduce sag. The most confusing thing to me, though, is it appears that adding the regular tow package to the Sport S manual transmission lowers the payload from 1600 lbs to 1200 lbs. I just don't see why that would be.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I think it was Wxman, a member here compared the part number on the tag of the spring to the number on a Sport.
You could PM him and he should be able to give you an answer.

Sponsored

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
Thanks @KVJ

I should have clarified that I can see that there are probably two sets of springs available - softer ones that give you a 5800 lb GVWR and stiffer ones that give you a 6250 lb GVWR. The Sport S manual, either Sport max tow, and Rubicon get the stiffer springs. The other trims get the softer ones. What I don't get is why a Sport or Sport S with the regular tow package would be downgraded to the softer springs. It's probably more wishful thinking that the minor differences in the two sources above indicate there's a chance a manual base Sport with regular tow package might actually get the stiffer springs :)

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yes, Sport with manual trans for the maximum payload because that's the lightest configuration possible.

Any options you add after that subtract from that number. My heavily optioned Sport S is 1,511, indicating that my options total 89 lbs.

OP
OP
basicGlad

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
The question is which build options give you that max payload.
correct! which build/configuration gives max payload? manual transmission sport, sport s or both?

what is confusing me is the top row of this... " / " means "or" to me
Sport / Sport S = 1,200 / 1,600
so the base only has a 1200 pay load and you have to upgrade to sport s to get the 1600?

or does that top row mean both sport and sport s get 1600 without max tow and 1200 with max tow?
its interesting in the manual block (top half) they only specify trailer tow but in the automagical (bottom half) they specify both max tow and trailer tow package

OP
OP
basicGlad

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
@JeepCares WOW, I just phoned 877-426-5337 to get some clarification and the girl on the phone said she doesn't know anything about the new models... I asked her, "so you don't even have access to the jeep gladiator brochure, phisical or on your website"... "no sir I do not"

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
correct! which build/configuration gives max payload? manual transmission sport, sport s or both?

what is confusing me is the top row of this... " / " means "or" to me
Sport / Sport S = 1,200 / 1,600
so the base only has a 1200 pay load and you have to upgrade to sport s to get the 1600?

or does that top row mean both sport and sport s get 1600 without max tow and 1200 with max tow?
its interesting in the manual block (top half) they only specify trailer tow but in the automagical (bottom half) they specify both max tow and trailer tow package
Max tow requires the auto

What doesn't make any sense to me is the payload drops if you add the tow package. You would think the extra cooling would help. I don't get that
Sponsored