Sponsored

Max Payloads?

Vismich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
What are the max payloads of the different models? I looked online, and it conflicts with what’s on the door jam of my Overland w/Tow package.

Online I have see Max Payload of the Overland being 1,120.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/03/2020-jeep-gladiator-towing-specs/

The door jam says 1,045 if I am reading it right.

I towed a 3,700 lbs camper this weekend, and it was almost scary on the highway when I hit 60 MPH. Cant figure out if I had too much weight, or if I need to adjust something.... or if the JT just isn't made for towing at high speeds!?!
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
What are the max payloads of the different models? I looked online, and it conflicts with what’s on the door jam of my Overland w/Tow package.

I towed a 3,700 lbs camper this weekend, and it was almost scary on the highway when I hit 60 MPH. Cant figure out if I had too much weight, or if I need to adjust something.... or if the JT just isn't made for towing at high speeds!?!
What was scary about it?
Did it wander all over?
Did it have trouble pulling the load?
Did it have issues stopping?
Did the back end sag down real low?

OP
OP

Vismich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
What was scary about it?
Did it wander all over?
Did it have trouble pulling the load?
Did it have issues stopping?
Did the back end sag down real low?
Wandering all over! Steering is drifty on the JT to begin with, but semi-trucks passing me were pushing me all over and generally wandering when over 60 mph

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That's about right for an Overland. The one I test drove was listed at 1,053 lbs. payload. It's pretty miserable to try and use something like that as a truck. With a 200 lb. driver it immediately drops you to 853. Throw a wife in there and you're below 700 lbs. of remaining payload. Ouch.

Here's the best chart I had found up until the second edition of the owners' manual was released.

GladiatorTowChart.jpg

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
That's about right for an Overland. The one I test drove was listed at 1,053 lbs. payload. It's pretty miserable to try and use something like that as a truck. With a 200 lb. driver it immediately drops you to 853. Throw a wife in there and you're below 700 lbs. of remaining payload. Ouch.

Here's the best chart I had found up until the second edition of the owners' manual was released.

GladiatorTowChart.jpg
700lbs in a 5' bed is quite a bit of stuff...

Probably not loaded correctly - if you have too much or too little tongue weight it can wag around. I have a weight distributing hitch and sway damper and have no issues at 5000-6000lbs at 70mph (with a rubi) so it may be worth getting a better hitch or spending time to properly load the trailer.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Vismich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
700lbs in a 5' bed is quite a bit of stuff...

Probably not loaded correctly - if you have too much or too little tongue weight it can wag around. I have a weight distributing hitch and sway damper and have no issues at 5000-6000lbs at 70mph (with a rubi) so it may be worth getting a better hitch or spending time to properly load the trailer.
What hitch do you have? If you could send me your set up I’d appreciate it. I’m going to try to tighten the weight distribution and go up one chain link to see if that helps.

I usually travel with my wife and two kids. One is a teenager. I figure we are roughly 500 lbs together.

Figure tongue weight is likely around 350 - 400 lbs.

That gets me to 900 lbs pretty quick before putting anything in the bed or camper. I thought about upgrading to a Rubicon... but doesn’t look like it’ll get me much more weight.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase

Sounds like you didn't have enough tongue weight. Tongue weight should be 10% of total trailer weight.

G_S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
Do you have the max-tow package?

Does the max-tow package change the amount of weight you can put in the bed?

With the max-tow package does this change the amount of weight you can put in the bed while pulling a trailer?

Can you put one round bail of hail in the bed, about 1,200 pounds. With no trailer & be ok ??

OP
OP

Vismich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Do you have the max-tow package?

Does the max-tow package change the amount of weight you can put in the bed?

With the max-tow package does this change the amount of weight you can put in the bed while pulling a trailer?

Can you put one round bail of hail in the bed, about 1,200 pounds. With no trailer & be ok ??

Yes. Max Tow will give you more flexibility. I never had a truck close to being maxed, which has forced me to do more research then I had hoped!

Basically the JT Overland can pull 6K.... but to do that you need to consider other factors.

The Max Weight I should be driving in my Overland safely is 1,100 lbs.

- 4 people = 500 lbs
- Tongue weight on a 4K lbs camper = 400ls

That only leaves you with a couple hundred lbs for the bed and inside the camper.

Max tow is 1,500. It gives you more flexibility. I wish I had done more research prior....

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. Max Tow will give you more flexibility. I never had a truck close to being maxed, which has forced me to do more research then I had hoped!

Basically the JT Overland can pull 6K.... but to do that you need to consider other factors.

- 4 people = 500 lbs

That only leaves you with a couple hundred lbs for the bed and inside the camper.

Max tow is 1,500. It gives you more flexibility. I wish I had done more research prior....
Folks need to understand that the different max weights is because the Rubicon is heavier (more skid plates and other heavy options) than a Sport so the Sport can haul and tow more weight because it is lighter.

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer

- 4 people = 500 lbs

You can put quite a bit more in the camper provided it has the gross weight capability to handle it. Properly loaded (evenly distributed), you could put 2000lbs worth in the trailer.

What hitch do you have? If you could send me your set up I’d appreciate it. I’m going to try to tighten the weight distribution and go up one chain link to see if that helps.

I usually travel with my wife and two kids. One is a teenager. I figure we are roughly 500 lbs together.

Figure tongue weight is likely around 350 - 400 lbs.

That gets me to 900 lbs pretty quick before putting anything in the bed or camper. I thought about upgrading to a Rubicon... but doesn’t look like it’ll get me much more weight.
If you have a weight distributing hitch, add one of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/trailer-sway-control-kit-96462.html
And make sure you don't have the bars tensioned too tightly. You want front ride height at or slightly below stock, but the rear should be lower than stock.

Jeepdude413

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Job.... always got a job...
To piggy-pack on other responses... max tow and max payload capacities are individual attributes and may not be accomplished at the same time.... one will diminish the other... “guesstimates sometimes get u into trouble”

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
I don't have a Gladiator yet, but have towed with a number of other vehicles in the past. As others have mentioned it sounds to me like your tongue weight is off. I like to use a scale to actually measure my tongue weight so I can dial it in exactly where it should be without guessing. Otherwise it can be difficult at times to guesstimate. I use a Weight Safe hitch which has the scale built right in, but there are other options to accomplish the same thing. Drive safe!

OP
OP

Vismich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I don't have a Gladiator yet, but have towed with a number of other vehicles in the past. As others have mentioned it sounds to me like your tongue weight is off. I like to use a scale to actually measure my tongue weight so I can dial it in exactly where it should be without guessing. Otherwise it can be difficult at times to guesstimate. I use a Weight Safe hitch which has the scale built right in, but there are other options to accomplish the same thing. Drive safe!
I’ve never done that. What should me tongue weight be? 10% of total gross?

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
10% - 15%. Better stability wise to be a bit heavier than to be too light.
Sponsored