Sponsored

Max Tow and Lockers

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Why isnt it possible to add locking differentials to a Sport Max Tow? I would assume if it was possible Jeep would have sold it.

Rubicon comes with lockers and the 4.10 axel, so made me wonder what adding lockers to the Sport would have done that Jeep didnt
Sponsored

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
The Rubicon is the “Max Tow” with lockers. The extra weight of the Rbui build, including the Lockers Diff reduces the tow and payload capacity. So it is one or the other.
Cheers

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Rubicon is the “Max Tow” with lockers. The extra weight of the Rbui build, including the Lockers Diff reduces the tow and payload capacity. So it is one or the other.
Cheers
Well, aside from the different rear springs. The ones for the Max Tow are different (fairly certain, could be wrong, certain that Max Tow has different rear springs from non-max tow version). So, do the lockers weigh so much that they drop 500lbs of payload capacity and 650lbs of towing?

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Why isnt it possible to add locking differentials to a Sport Max Tow? I would assume if it was possible Jeep would have sold it.

Rubicon comes with lockers and the 4.10 axel, so made me wonder what adding lockers to the Sport would have done that Jeep didnt
Are you asking if aftermarket lockers can be added to the Max Tow? Or are you asking why Jeep doesn’t offer lockers on the Max Tow from the factory?

If the first question: you can.

If the second question: because then they’d sell fewer Rubicons.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you asking if aftermarket lockers can be added to the Max Tow? Or are you asking why Jeep doesn’t offer lockers on the Max Tow from the factory?

If the first question: you can.

If the second question: because then they’d sell fewer Rubicons.

Will adding lockers aftermarket drastically decrease payload/towing?

Sponsored

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot about the springs, yes they may be different, but that is more to do with payload and increasing tongue weight rating than towing capacity, which is the axles and lower gear ratio.

That said they both have the same rear heavy duty axle, so I would expect they would share the same spring setup also.

I agree, factory lockers are a Rubi only option, which includes other additional bits that add to its weight.
Cheers

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon rear springs are different that Sport S with max tow rear springs. Part numbers, coils and the max tow are progressive.
Likely in a short time (a few weeks) I will have all of them in my hands - max tow, Overland and Rubicon and can document them side by side as well as how each handles the same load. I'll be doing some swapping around in my Overland.
I'll test with payload as well as tongue weight and towing.
We've already seen in the forum how 1300 pounds dropped a max tow Sport S 3" where half that weight or less dropped an Overland 4"

Last edited:

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Bill, thought you might add to this.
Cheers

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Bill, thought you might add to this.
Cheers
LOL - Well, I hope it's adding to.

I have a personal or vested interest in this - my own JT Overland.

My plan is to measure my truck as it sits, sides, both ends, top of axle tube or housing to some part of the truck that will never change.
Then load it up with the max payload on the door sticker, measure again.
Then unload it and hook up my car hauler, load up a car (my longest if the traction bars and headers clear the trailer bed when loading) and measure it all again.
Then put in the max tow rear springs, do it all over again, measure everything load it up with payload, measure, unload, hook to car hauler, measure it all again and so on.
The max tow springs should arrive in a couple of weeks.
Bought some Rubicon springs if arrangements work out getting them to Iowa- will see what I can do to compare those, too.
Doing it all in the same truck should be the best way to see - what does each set of springs do when compared in a controlled way.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase

They only have ever offered lockers with rubicons. That’s not changing soon. You can add them tho. Won’t change the rating.