Max Tow vs Rubicon for Towing

dougl

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi JTR, Toyota Tundra, Mazda 3
Just rented a JTR (fairly loaded) for the weekend and we’re ALL IN. We put around 500 miles on it and was pleasantly surprised how well it did all around (highway/backroads/around town). I had a CJ7 and Wrangler back in the 90’s so I already knew about the fun factor. Looking forward to getting back into the Jeep family.

Looking into the future we may end up with a travel trailer, so we did some tow testing/comparison with a friends trailer. The trailer was a GD Imagine 2600. The trailer’s dry weight is 5700lbs, it had ~200lbs of gear and we added ~350lbs between the 2 of us – trailer tongue weight is ~600lbs. The setup was under the JTR’s max (on the higher end), but longer/heavier that we’d go with, a good higher end test for us. We used a weight distribution hitch, not too much rear end sag when we hooked up the trailer. My buddy tows the trailer with an F150 v6 ecoboost, so that’s what we(he) compared with. I realize it’s not an apples to apples comparison but that’s what we had. Overall the JTR performed well on the flats, getting on the highway braking was all good, my buddy was impressed. We had a pretty calm day so not much wind to deal with. The JTR struggled on our test hill, it’s a short (~3/4 mile) run that’s pretty steep, ave grade is ~5.6% - pitch on the Uconnect Offroad app hit 7 at one point. Going up the hill the JTR max out around 30/35 mph, 3rd gear I think (not positive) – comparing that with the F150 we went up at ~45mph and had power to spare.

So finally to my question: Would the Max Tow have performed any better (hill test) than the JTR under the same conditions? In reality we wouldn’t be towing that size of a rig but curious to know if under the same conditions, within the max capacity of the JTR, are there an appreciable performance differences in towing between the Max Tow and JTR. Since a lot of places we’d go from here require some decent mountain climbs I want to make sure we’ll have the most capable setup possible – not sure if I can wait for the diesel.

Truth be told I don’t need the Rubicon. I won’t be doing serious 4x4’ing (hats off to those who have the stones to drive your $50k+ vehicle over VW sized boulders). It’ll be my daily driver (short 6mile work commute), home depot/yard hauls, light trails, snow trips to the mountains and eventually towing. I’d want to keep the trailer around 6k lbs fully loaded - including gear and people/dog(in the jeep of course). I do like the look/stance of the JTR and thought the leather seats were more comfortable than the cloth (took a test drive at the local dealer of a cloth JTR). Thanks in advance, great forum – I’ve been learning a ton the past few weeks
Sponsored

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Rubi towing numbers are slightly lowered due to added weight. A Max tow sport s and Rubicon with a tow package will probably have the same effect on the hills. That weight is pushing it's limits. Max towing for a Rubi is 7k but most are lower than that depending on options so you s was probably way lower than that. Check the sticker on door jam. You likely overloaded it

Last edited:
OP
OP

dougl

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi towing numbers are slightly lowered due to added weight. A Max tow sport s and Rubicon with a tow package will probably have the same effect on the hills. That weight is pushing it's limits
thx.. Yeah, while it was within the max limits and didn't feel sketchy in the flats (didn't get passed by a semi at 70mph either) I wouldn't feel comfortable towing that rig/weight beyond short/flat trips. I'm thinking 6000lbs "all in" (and shorter trailer) is what we'd end up with.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
thx.. Yeah, while it was within the max limits and didn't feel sketchy in the flats (didn't get passed by a semi at 70mph either) I wouldn't feel comfortable towing that rig/weight beyond short/flat trips. I'm thinking 6000lbs "all in" (and shorter trailer) is what we'd end up with.
You can. Dig around here on the forums and find threads like this to get a good general idea about what's good. there's not really much difference towing wize between Max tow sport s and Rubicon. Same engine same tranny. Same Dana 44 axles same breaks same 410 gears. Rubi is just got more weight and I believe stiffer shocks for offroading. The sport s Max tow has been the great equalizer because it gets more payload and better towing numbers and it's set in stone on the sticker . Alot of people worry about overloading there Rubi get in a wreck and there insurance giving them the boot. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/so-what-is-everybody-towing.19105/

Sponsored

OP
OP

dougl

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can. Dig around here on the forums and find threads like this to get a good general idea about what's good. there's not really much difference towing wize between Max tow sport s and Rubicon. Same engine same tranny. Same Dana 44 axles same breaks same 410 gears. Rubi is just got more weight and I believe stiffer shocks for offroading. The sport s Max tow has been the great equalizer because it gets more payload and better towing numbers and it's set in stone on the sticker . Alot of people worry about overloading there Rubi get in a wreck and there insurance giving them the boot. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/so-what-is-everybody-towing.19105/
Thx - some nice setups out there. Looks like for what we'd be looking at the performance/capability of Max Tow or Rubicon would both work nicely, nice to have options... :)

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I have a Rubicon and tow a trailer at about 3500; it does very well. If you don't plan to use the Rubi features, definitely do not get them. You can get the looks for a lot less with aftermarket parts. I do regularly use those features, although I try to keep my boulders down to around the size of a smart car.

OP
OP

dougl

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a Rubicon and tow a trailer at about 3500; it does very well. If you don't plan to use the Rubi features, definitely do not get them. You can get the looks for a lot less with aftermarket parts. I do regularly use those features, although I try to keep my boulders down to around the size of a smart car.
That would be the sensible thing to do, but.... :)

NateKY

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sarge Green
Occupation
Department of the Army Civilian
I agree with this, but I wanted to run 35’s and knew there wouldn’t be any issues on the base Rubicon. However, I have found myself using the front and rear lockers just to keep from throwing mud onto the truck. Lol. But seriously, really think if the extra money for the Rubicon is worth it you and how you will use it.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
That would be the sensible thing to do, but.... :)
I get it. I was going back and forth for a long time and when I priced it out the Max tow I had specked out was within 3k of the Rubicon. For all the extra features it was worth it to me. Turns out I have ended up using the lockers. The wheels and tires saved me from having to buy new ones the day I got mine, lol.

Ironicly I hate the Rubicon accents though. Can't stand the red on the lettering or the red dashboard the more I look at them. Truck is green, just don't get the logic FCA used on it.

When it comes down to it from a towing perspective you really shouldn't notice any difference between the Rubicon and Max tow. Especially when you consider half the people who buy them put a lift and 35s on there instantly throwing off what the rating should actually be. I know "legally" the sticker might say something different, but nobody is accounting for all their various mods.

Just make sure you get a brake controler in the thing. I had to pull 6k about a mile or so and could feel it for sure behind me without having trailer breaks.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sahara
I’m new to the forum and the wife wants a travel trailer while I want a very small minimal off road trailer to sleep in. lol

Will the diesel change any of the tow ratings? It seems it’ll at least help going up the OP’s hill there.

Last edited:
OP
OP

dougl

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get it. I was going back and forth for a long time and when I priced it out the Max tow I had specked out was within 3k of the Rubicon. For all the extra features it was worth it to me. Turns out I have ended up using the lockers. The wheels and tires saved me from having to buy new ones the day I got mine, lol.

Ironicly I hate the Rubicon accents though. Can't stand the red on the lettering or the red dashboard the more I look at them. Truck is green, just don't get the logic FCA used on it.

When it comes down to it from a towing perspective you really shouldn't notice any difference between the Rubicon and Max tow. Especially when you consider half the people who buy them put a lift and 35s on there instantly throwing off what the rating should actually be. I know "legally" the sticker might say something different, but nobody is accounting for all their various mods.

Just make sure you get a brake controler in the thing. I had to pull 6k about a mile or so and could feel it for sure behind me without having trailer breaks.
Priced out a Max Tow and Rubicon with what I would want and the difference is about 4.5k . After some swap outs on the Max Tow the difference with the Rubicon may not be too hard to swallow. Brake controller for sure - been following the mopar accessory brake controller thread and thought I'd wouldn't mind losing the 12v outlet, but 1st thing the wife does when we get into the rental was plug her 12v USB plug in - she has something against plugging into the USB ports :lipssealed: - So i'll be looking at one of the other solutions.

Wasn't crazy about the red dashboard, or the Gray body, but after the weekend I ended liking the gray - I could live with the red dashboard

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Will the diesel change any of the tow ratings?
It is rated slightly lower due to cooling. I wouldn't be towing near limits with either motor, so a reasonable trailer (what I'd say is around 5500-6k max) will be fine either way.
Sponsored