Sponsored

May have to make a tough decision

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Have not been around for a little while.

Unfortunately my wife had to go to ER on 18 Jan 2022 because of Covid.
She went through the procession, ER, ICU, CCU, ventilator, off ventilator, ICU, regular room, and finally last Friday to a Rehab hospital.

She has a long road ahead of her to get back to who she was before this happened, if she makes it all the way back.

She may never get her full mobility back. It is something I have to consider. I still have a while to process all the information and see how she does.

But if she can not regain her full mobility and thus can not drive any longer, I will have to trade in the Gladiator and her car and probably end up in an AWD mini van for it to be easier on her getting in and out.

This puts my choices at 2 vehicles. Chrysler or Toyota. I am a lifelong USA made man, but if those are my choices I'm leaning Toyota for several reasons, one of them being cost. The other reliability.

That's it, no bitches or complaints about the JT, love my off road truck, but unfortunately sometimes life dictates what we need.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
You gotta do what you gotta do.

Family comes first. Wish you the best.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Sorry to hear it, @kevman65, hope it at least helps to talk about it some here. Maybe the answer is something much different for some off-roading on the side? The AWD yota van + an older Comanche or Dak?

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
If you have to choose between the 2, I would go yota.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Sorry for what you are experiencing at the moment, it really cannot be easy for you and your family. I hope your wife recovers well and can live a long healthy life.

Like most things in life, a JT is just part of the “stuff” that doesn’t define who we are. The day to day comfort and security of your significant other is really what matters right now.

I drink the kool-aid on jeep products, but get the Toyota. It’ll be easier on your budget now, hold its value better and if history is an indicator of quality, likely give you fewer headaches.

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I’m so sorry to hear about your wife and the struggle. That really does suck.
God is good, even though it may not feel like it.

:(

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
Sorry to hear about what you are going through. I also think Toyota.

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
As someone who just divorced a wife of 30 years who I caught cheating, it's good to see decent, honorable people living up to their vows and taking care of each other. I'm sorry to see you go through this and I wish you the best. I think the Toyota is the best choice as well, FWIW.

Sponsored

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Power steps on the glad??? Or even better the wife gets back to where she was and is healthy!! My buddies mother in law is dealing with the same thing. Went on a ventilator got off the ventilator went to rehab and is now back home however she is now having cognitive decline issues. No history of issues pre Rona. Hope it gets better for ya.

OP
OP

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Thanks guys.

It's still too early to tell, looks like there may be some issues with her concentration and reasoning skills. Right now everything looks positive physically.

She's been home 2 weeks now, goes to rehab twice a week and does all her exercises at home plus she does other things she thinks will help. Her strength and stamina are slowly coming back. Her oxygen dependency is much lower now. On the concentrator I have her at 1.5 liters except when she takes a shower, then I turn her up. When we're out she's on bottle O2 and she is at 1 unless she's at rehab then it's usually at 2.
This is a huge improvement over 3 weeks ago when she was at 3 liters at rest and 6 liters during activity.

Luckily I have a beater Chevy Uplander I use for hauling stuff, it is easier for her to get in and out of and easier for me to load her stuff in than her ScobbyDoo Legacy.

I have decided if I have to go that route that it will be the Toyota Sienna. Don't always need AWD here in Central Indiana, but when it is needed it's usually really needed.

I'll be happy when she regains her balance. Right now she is a high fall risk. I NEED to get back to work for my own sanity, and no, I can't trust someone else to do the right thing all the time for her.

OP
OP

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
As someone who just divorced a wife of 30 years who I caught cheating, it's good to see decent, honorable people living up to their vows and taking care of each other. I'm sorry to see you go through this and I wish you the best. I think the Toyota is the best choice as well, FWIW.
How dare you by insulting me with decent and honorable?!?! :LOL:

I truly don't think I qualify for those terms, but thank you. I just believe it's the right thing to do. We're a pain in the ass to each other, but it would be hard to imagine what life would be like without her now. It will be 34 years come July 2nd.

OP
OP

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Power steps on the glad??? Or even better the wife gets back to where she was and is healthy!! My buddies mother in law is dealing with the same thing. Went on a ventilator got off the ventilator went to rehab and is now back home however she is now having cognitive decline issues. No history of issues pre Rona. Hope it gets better for ya.
Thought about it, but a 6 inch step kicks her butt right now. I still have time to evaluate her abilities and make the moves that might be needed.

KC_H

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Have not been around for a little while.

Unfortunately my wife had to go to ER on 18 Jan 2022 because of Covid.
She went through the procession, ER, ICU, CCU, ventilator, off ventilator, ICU, regular room, and finally last Friday to a Rehab hospital.

She has a long road ahead of her to get back to who she was before this happened, if she makes it all the way back.

She may never get her full mobility back. It is something I have to consider. I still have a while to process all the information and see how she does.

But if she can not regain her full mobility and thus can not drive any longer, I will have to trade in the Gladiator and her car and probably end up in an AWD mini van for it to be easier on her getting in and out.

This puts my choices at 2 vehicles. Chrysler or Toyota. I am a lifelong USA made man, but if those are my choices I'm leaning Toyota for several reasons, one of them being cost. The other reliability.

That's it, no bitches or complaints about the JT, love my off road truck, but unfortunately sometimes life dictates what we need.
Good on you for stepping up...

Is she vaccinated?
Sponsored