Threads
Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
I've been waiting to see your suspension/tire setup as a guide for my own similar rig. Looking forward to seeing your experiences — thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow Pkg
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
I've been waiting to see your suspension/tire setup as a guide for my own similar rig. Looking forward to seeing your experiences — thanks for sharing!
This is the video we did on our suspension. Let me know if you have any questions or if I can be a resource.

teamblkdog

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
This is the video we did on our suspension. Let me know if you have any questions or if I can be a resource.

I just watched and learned. I dig that you’re keeping your tire size conservative. Do you still experience body roll at all after your suspension upgrades? Curious if you’ve weighed your new setup yet? I’ll be in touch. Thank you!

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
I just watched and learned. I dig that you’re keeping your tire size conservative. Do you still experience body roll at all after your suspension upgrades? Curious if you’ve weighed your new setup yet? I’ll be in touch. Thank you!
So we added the Hellwig Rear Sway Bar and it really helps with body roll. As far as weight, not yet, but it is on our list of things to do. We have a few more small modifications we want to do, then we need to load it all up, including water tank, external fuel tank, gear, and fridge load out. Then all three of us need to hop in and head to a scale.

Sponsored

Foxtail

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport 2012 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited
Just curious, has there always been a master plan in place as to the order of your travels or is it just lets go here next kind of planning?
Best of luck to you and your family, stay safe, and can't wait to follow your epic adventures online.
Cheers!

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious, has there always been a master plan in place as to the order of your travels or is it just lets go here next kind of planning?
Best of luck to you and your family, stay safe, and can't wait to follow your epic adventures online.
Cheers!
Great question. So the answer is kind of long. But the short answer is no. No master plan for the order.

Basically we have what we call "hard dates" so for example right now our hard dates are Overland Expo Mountain West in Loveland, CO at the end of August. RVE Summit in Montrose Colorado in early September, and Overland Expo West in Flagstaff, Arizona at the end of September.

We know where we need to be on these hard dates. But everything between those hard dates is fluid. As full-time overlanders we tend to chase weather a lot. Meaning we are kind of like reptiles in that we do our best to regulate our own body temperatures based on the general route we need to go. So if a southern and more extended route will give us better outdoor living weather but will add say 7 hours to the journey, we're likely to take it as long as we can still hit our hard dates.

Does that make sense?

Foxtail

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport 2012 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited
Great question. So the answer is kind of long. But the short answer is no. No master plan for the order.

Basically we have what we call "hard dates" so for example right now our hard dates are Overland Expo Mountain West in Loveland, CO at the end of August. RVE Summit in Montrose Colorado in early September, and Overland Expo West in Flagstaff, Arizona at the end of September.

We know where we need to be on these hard dates. But everything between those hard dates is fluid. As full-time overlanders we tend to chase weather a lot. Meaning we are kind of like reptiles in that we do our best to regulate our own body temperatures based on the general route we need to go. So if a southern and more extended route will give us better outdoor living weather but will add say 7 hours to the journey, we're likely to take it as long as we can still hit our hard dates.

Does that make sense?
It sure does and it sounds like so much fun. Kinda like not having a care in the world and just being free to do whatever you mostly want, when you want to do it.
FLIPPING AWESOME!

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
WOW. Welcome to the forum. Wish I had the balls to do what you guys are doing. Will be following your journey!

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 GC Trailhawk
Occupation
I.T. Architect
Excellent idea, can't wait to watch all the videos.

I'll also be interested in the total weight for your setup, as I've thought about doing a few similar things, and unfortunately, starting with the Rubicon reduces my total payload capacity, especially once you factor in the passengers.

Oh, and awesome name for your kiddo ;)

~ Casp

Sponsored

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
It sure does and it sounds like so much fun. Kinda like not having a care in the world and just being free to do whatever you mostly want, when you want to do it.
FLIPPING AWESOME!
It has been a very long road to get here though. We have a video about our journey to get to this point on our YouTube called "The Long Game" it is our full story. One you kind of have to want to watch to get through the whole thing. But if you really want to know how we got to the point where we could do this full time, this is the answer.

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
WOW. Welcome to the forum. Wish I had the balls to do what you guys are doing. Will be following your journey!
Thanks for following our journey. If we can ever be a resource for you, don't hesitate to ask, If we can be of help we will. If we don't have a clue, we'll let you know that too haha. ~ E

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent idea, can't wait to watch all the videos.

I'll also be interested in the total weight for your setup, as I've thought about doing a few similar things, and unfortunately, starting with the Rubicon reduces my total payload capacity, especially once you factor in the passengers.

Oh, and awesome name for your kiddo ;)

~ Casp
Whoa! Another Caspian/en. Is that your real name? Don't think we've actually run across another Caspian.

I'm half laughing about the weight question, because we're really interested in the total weight of the setup too. We started with the 2nd highest payload Gladiator you can get off the factory floor. The only JT higher than ours is the standard transmission version of ours at 1700 lbs.

The Rubicon I believe starts with 1200 lbs, and of course anything added including larger tires, rock sliders, skid plates, bumpers, winch, etc all add up really quick.

We actually started with a spreadsheet when we began our build. We were very careful and intentional about everything we added, Because we have to be ready for four seasons as full-time overlanders, we typically carry quite a bit more gear than your typical weekender or week long type overlander. Ultimately this rig is our home. So even with as careful as we've been, I'm always looking to see where we can reduce weight, and I'm sure we've exceeded payload some. We'll have to see how much once we are fully loaded.

Pretty soon we'll fill all of the aux tanks (fuel and water) and our fridge, load our gear and ourselves as if we were headed off on our journey south of the border and head to a scale. When that happens, we'll be happy to post what we've learned.

Though we have a lot of experience traveling full-time we are by no means perfect. The only thing we're really experts at is learning from our own mistakes. So we'll see and keep y'all posted.
Sponsored