Sponsored

Metal Flecks in the oil filter. I disected my first oil change filter. Blackstone Oil Analysis

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
  • Banned
Discovered some metal in my Jeeps oil filter. But this is not as bad as you might think.

I have sent a sample off to Blackstone to check the oil and found that synthetic with 8000 miles on my last vehicle still had life it it. You could easily run 10K miles on old oil. I am not paid for the mention but I trust their work. https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

TO save time you can jump to one of these areas in the video to get to the filter video.

0:00 Check the oil before change
0:30 Pull the filter before oil change
0:40 1800 Mile filter disected
1:25 Deep Dive filter media
2:15 Metal flecks
6:10 New Vehicle Engine Debris
6:30 If you See Brass or Copper in your filter
6:50 Bearing Failure signs
8:00 New Filter installed before going to dealer
8:25 Back from the dealer
8:40 Check oil after dealer oil change
8:58 Check filter after dealer oil change
9:42 Closing Comments and Outro

Sponsored

oldhp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Galdiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Retired
Seems like a lot of metal in there. I've cut a lot of filters open and haven't seen that much, even at that low mileage. I would definitely cut open the next one. If you take a razor knife and cut at the top & bottom plastic end caps the media comes off real easy.

OP
OP
Brfertig [HACKED ACCOUNT]
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
  • Banned
Seems like a lot of metal in there. I've cut a lot of filters open and haven't seen that much, even at that low mileage. I would definitely cut open the next one. If you take a razor knife and cut at the top & bottom plastic end caps the media comes off real easy.
Thanks for the insight I agree seems excessive but I wash my galleys out on my engines after milling. Not sure the factory does that, to the degree of a custom built engine. Also, I am not too worried. The one thing I know is warrantied is the engine. Will check it again at the next change. As I have seen in the past, the real scary stuff is not the silver stuff but the copper colored stuff.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
That's pretty normal for the first change on a new engine. Residual milling material and ring material. At least from what I've seen over the years. Not uncommon to see elevated iron and copper in the oil for the first 20k - 40k miles as bearings wear in.

I get blackstone reports on every oil change for my vehicles.