Sponsored

Metal Rear Seat Lock Boxes?

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX 350; 2016 Hellcat Challenger; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon.
Sorry if this question has been asked and answered already, but on my Rubi build I opted not to get the trail-rail package that would've included the lockable under-seat storage boxes under the rear seats.

I figured eventually one or more aftermarket vendors (e.g., Tuffy) would offer a more secure all-steel lockbox solution as an alternative to the factory polymer boxes, but would otherwise be sized the same to bolt down under the seats.

Years ago I had an all metal lock box in my Wrangler which worked out pretty well at the time, although the actual internal storage space was limited.

Does anyone know if any metal under-seat lock boxes are available for the Gladiator yet?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bump-ski ...

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I'm seriously considering having one made at this point because I've seen nothing... I have a platform 60% side and only the 40% seat and I'd love to have something sturdy and locking for firearm storage.

OP
OP
Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm seriously considering having one made at this point because I've seen nothing... I have a platform 60% side and only the 40% seat and I'd love to have something sturdy and locking for firearm storage.
Same here.

Well, hopefully, once this CORVID-19 thing is no longer a 'thing,' we can look forward to the aftermarket lockbox vendors catching up to the security elements of our 2020 JTs.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm really hoping that Tuffy is working on some stuff for the JT's my LJ looks like their sales catalog. But I started with the soft top and went with top and doors off half of year.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm really hoping that Tuffy is working on some stuff for the JT's my LJ looks like their sales catalog. But I started with the soft top and went with top and doors off half of year.
I was just looking at the underseat storage area with the seats raised. I opted not to get the factory polymer security box, so it's just the polymer border thing (like a wall) that's bolted to the floot ... But I was trying to imagine how large a steel lockbox (obviously a long, narrow one) could fit in there with the seats down but still yield usable interior space.

It seems to me Tuffy could easily replicate the underseat spacial dimensions and give us something very secure to bolt down there.

And I'm surprised a bit that Tuffy wasn't ahead of the curve on the Gladiator with one or more of their products, as were some other aftermarket vendors with theirs.

Last edited:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Steppenwolf
You are quite right there, I'm thinking that Tuffy wasn't sure if the JT would take off like it has. Plus they have quite a few Gov. contact's for their security containers drawers, lockbox's and Jeep is not as large of a market. You can bet your @$$ if it would have been a new GM or Ford SUV ect they would have so when Gov ordered them they would have been ready to supply them.
By then I might have built mine own, I just got done pulling out the back seats. The weight loss of the right side seats was more than front winch bumper and winch.

OP
OP
Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Steppenwolf
You are quite right there, I'm thinking that Tuffy wasn't sure if the JT would take off like it has. Plus they have quite a few Gov. contact's for their security containers drawers, lockbox's and Jeep is not as large of a market. You can bet your @$$ if it would have been a new GM or Ford SUV ect they would have so when Gov ordered them they would have been ready to supply them.
Yep, for sure.

I just got done pulling out the back seats. The weight loss of the right side seats was more than front winch bumper and winch.
Did you remove the right-side seats in order to create space for a homemade lockbox? If so, can you post up some pics here when it's finished? Thx!

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I removed both, I'm doing a platform for now. Oh to have a shop and garage again. I've got to get a good place for welding again before I do that. I'd have to get few truck loads of rock and concrete to level my land for it. Between work and all the rain. Aka life getting in the way :crying: but a good thing of doing the platform is I'll have a template for starting of one. Hmm. After removing the heavy @$$ seats a lockbox wouldn't add any more weight.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I did pick up some cardboard so I can make a template for possible some kind of locking storage. But I have to be at work next three nights. I'm thinking about using the child seat latching points and 2 or 3 of seat mounting bolts depending on how long I might make it. As of now I have a platform in place.

IMG_20200325_131627.jpg

Sponsored

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
Anyone have any updates to this? I'm in the same situation. Looking at buying the OEM locking storage bin (6LT89TX7AC ) but at $700, not sure if it's worth it being plastic and all. Contacted Tuffy, but no response. May end up building something.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
No, but the more I look at it, the easier it feels... I cut down the tray so I can still have storage on the 40% side after replacing the other side with a platform but I'd really prefer some completely enclosed storage even if it doesn't lock. Maybe I can mock something up with some foamcore board and then model it in autocad to get it fabbed up.

OP
OP
Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone have any updates to this? I'm in the same situation. Looking at buying the OEM locking storage bin (6LT89TX7AC ) but at $700, not sure if it's worth it being plastic and all. Contacted Tuffy, but no response. May end up building something
If Tuffy ever gets back to you, please let us know.

The underseat geometry they would need to replicate to create a steel lockbox that bolts in there can't be that challenging.

Maybe Tuffy is trying to assess whether there's enough demand for such a unit in the market of Gladiator owners.

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Wonder if a simpler solution would be locking the bottom seats from opening. The plastic wall wouldn't stop a determined thief with time, but would work well enough for most applications.
Sponsored