Metalcloak Gamechanger vs Clayton Overland Plus

Coyotesong

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
How does MC Gamechanger 3.5" compare to Clayton's Overland Plus 3.5" ? Metalcloak has Duraflex bushings and Clayton has Giiro bushings. MC claims their bushings are maintenance free and Clayton also claims their bushings are maintenance free. I feel Clayton's arms are probably stronger. Probably the biggest difference is going to be in the springs with MC use Dual Rate springs and Clayton using linear rate in front and triple rate in back. MC says their rear springs are softer than Rubicon springs and Clayton says their rear spring use a higher spring rate than factory. So does the Clayton lift ride harsher than MC? I suspect the Clayton lift can handle more payload than MC's for those that load their trucks up. Can anyone offer any real world feed back on how either lift rides and performs for them? Thanks
Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
So no personal experience. The shop I just met with is a dealer for both. Even after asking about Clayton they pushed the MC more. They had nothing but positive to say about Clayton, Mostly just about how much better & quieter the MC bushings were then everyone else's. I gotta admit though for the few bucks more that the Clayton is I sure like the color better.

Billet Wilson

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, 2021 JT Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the Clayton Premium kit is more of a direct competitor to the Metalcloak Gamechanger lift. The Clayton Overland Plus uses maintenance free Giiro Joints at both ends of the arms similar to Metalcloaks but only offers 50 degrees of misalignment compared to Metalcloaks 68 degrees. To get more flex, the Clayton Premium kit offers a Giiro Joint at one end of the arm and a greaseable Johnny Joint at the other.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I believe the Clayton Premium kit is more of a direct competitor to the Metalcloak Gamechanger lift. The Clayton Overland Plus uses maintenance free Giiro Joints at both ends of the arms similar to Metalcloaks but only offers 50 degrees of misalignment compared to Metalcloaks 68 degrees. To get more flex, the Clayton Premium kit offers a Giiro Joint at one end of the arm and a greaseable Johnny Joint at the other.
Pretty spot on. Our Overland Kit comes with our Giiro bushings on both ends, making this kit our smoothest, quietest option available while still offering all of the capability you need to take your Jeep off-road. That's one of the reasons this kit has become so popular, it can do it all! For guys that want a little more misalignment or flex out of their Jeep if they're going to be doing some more hardcore crawling, than our Premium kit utilizes Johnny Joints on one end of our control arms to get you where you want to be. You can't go wrong with either kit as both perform excellently on either terrain, it just comes down to if you want the maintenance free bushings that are a little quieter and smoother on road, or the Johnny Joints that provide a little more Flex but do require some re-greasing and maintenance from time to time!

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
How does MC Gamechanger 3.5" compare to Clayton's Overland Plus 3.5" ? Metalcloak has Duraflex bushings and Clayton has Giiro bushings. MC claims their bushings are maintenance free and Clayton also claims their bushings are maintenance free. I feel Clayton's arms are probably stronger. Probably the biggest difference is going to be in the springs with MC use Dual Rate springs and Clayton using linear rate in front and triple rate in back. MC says their rear springs are softer than Rubicon springs and Clayton says their rear spring use a higher spring rate than factory. So does the Clayton lift ride harsher than MC? I suspect the Clayton lift can handle more payload than MC's for those that load their trucks up. Can anyone offer any real world feed back on how either lift rides and performs for them? Thanks
We get asked this question about our springs all the time! We do utilize a stiffer spring rate than most, but combined with our fully-adjustable control arms and track bars, along with all of the extra time we put into the little details in our kits, we usually get feedback from customers that their Jeeps ride better than stock! When utilized properly, a stiffer spring rate helps prevent bowing, gives your vehicle more capability in terms of payload, and can even help in overall ride-quality!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Working for the man every night and day
We get asked this question about our springs all the time! We do utilize a stiffer spring rate than most, but combined with our fully-adjustable control arms and track bars, along with all of the extra time we put into the little details in our kits, we usually get feedback from customers that their Jeeps ride better than stock! When utilized properly, a stiffer spring rate helps prevent bowing, gives your vehicle more capability in terms of payload, and can even help in overall ride-quality!
Does your 3.5 kit need spring correction pads to mitigate bowing?

endurojeep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
So do the clayton springs maintain the rake on the gladiator in the rear. I would not give up my metal cloak arms they provide the flex of a johnny joint arm with the silent on road manners. The only thing I would change is having my rake back for hauling however I may have a solution for load carrying very soon. As far as ride it rides like a marshmallow on a cloud without being wishy washy corners better than stock rides better than stock on road and really soaks up trail riding bumps at speed really well
Sponsored