Sponsored

Mice in the cab

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
So I found a dead field mouse under my backseat today. I have only had the truck a month and drive it everyday. It is starting to get cold out unfortunately.

Now I have to find where he came from:headbang::headbang: Hard top on, haven’t had the door off at all. I’m thinking maybe the vent in the back of the truck.

Any ideas where he would have gotten in and ideas how to keep them out?
Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Up through the floor mat plugs?

madduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator JT, '77 SJ: Cherokee Chief, '06 LJ
Occupation
High Speed Al tubing manager
oh man, find out ASAP. living in the desert i'm flighting these dang things all the time.
they dont like peppermint or moth balls.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
LOL This is funny. Are you sure it wasn't a message sent by someone? :CWL: j/k Maybe someone is playing a prank on you?

The fact that it was dead is strange - is any of the upholstery chewed upon? Maybe it was a gift from FCA in the warehouse or the train - that would be my guess...

I wash/clean my truck at least once a week. So, maybe you should do it 2-3 times a week for a couple of weeks to make sure something doesn't decide to squat in your truck ;). I have heard stories of squirrels under the hood but a rat in the backseat is a first for me. As @madduck suggested no harm in putting some moth balls and some dried rosemary twigs in the flooring for a few days... Rosemary plant is one of the natural deterrents for a lot of rodents/insects/etc...

Sponsored

Whiteknight

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon,2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition White
Occupation
Sales CDJR
try fabric softener sheets ,like Bounce sheets to keep them out of your vehicle.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Dryer sheets don't work. Tried that for years with a camper I used to have. I'd go in every so often to find mice not only in the camper, but they had pulled the dryer sheets into a storage area and were using them for NESTING material. One time I even found a nest of babies on the dryer sheets.
I tried at least two types, and last time tried a brand new box of Bounce sheets and used the whole box (it was a small box), still had mice.
Big discussion about that very thing right now on our AMC forum and FB areas - bottom line, they don't work for most folks.
The only thing I have seen where people don't respond "doesn't work" is shaving Irish Spring soap into the car..... so far no one has said that didn't help.

Airmousam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
Dryer sheets don't work. Tried that for years with a camper I used to have. I'd go in every so often to find mice not only in the camper, but they had pulled the dryer sheets into a storage area and were using them for NESTING material. One time I even found a nest of babies on the dryer sheets.
I tried at least two types, and last time tried a brand new box of Bounce sheets and used the whole box (it was a small box), still had mice.
Big discussion about that very thing right now on our AMC forum and FB areas - bottom line, they don't work for most folks.
The only thing I have seen where people don't respond "doesn't work" is shaving Irish Spring soap into the car..... so far no one has said that didn't help.

That’s the only soap we use, and mice actually eat it...had many a chewed bar in our lake house basement bath before we remodeled and tighten everything up....

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
That’s the only soap we use, and mice actually eat it...had many a chewed bar in our lake house basement bath before we remodeled and tighten everything up....
LOL I guess the mice do adapt. Pretty soon you are gonna have radioactive rats and mice :CWL:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well so much for that as being no one said it didn't work. We'll see mice like T-1000........traps can't keep them down.

Sponsored

011Crmn

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Gator
I tried Irish spring under my deck and driveway to keep skunks away. The skunks came back so now it just smells like an Irish grow op in the spring:LOL:

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
No thanks, man... I'll put up with spiders, roaches, snakes all day long...

But a mouse? Burn it to the ground.

Punkngladiator

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma gone soon 2020 gladiator on its way
I have only used moth balls under my lake house and they work but the smell isn’t very nice

OP
OP
Cape taco12

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
No more mouse sightings. But I have a new problem i am beginning to hate all chipmunks, squirrels and rodents.

26C93123-6F1D-451E-A2B3-96F1EB40EDC0.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Be aware that chipmunks and squirrels will chew up wiring. I had to totally rewire a camper a few years back due to the chipmunks and squirrels. I have had to replace Christmas lights a couple of times - due to squirrels.
Here's how to take care of chipmunks and I've used this method for over 3 years and killed many dozens of them -
5 gallon bucket
Fill about half to 3/5 with water
Sprinkle styrofoam packing peanuts on the surface of the water, JUST ENOUGH to hide the water.
Dripped a couple dozen sunflower seeds on the packing peanuts (be sure the packing peanuts aren't the environmentally safe sort that dissolved in water!)
Either place the bucket in a place where they can easily access it to see/smell the seeds or place a wood ramp up to the bucket to make it easy for them.
They will go in for the seeds, fall through the styrofoam packing peanut layer and try to tread water, but they can't, seems they aren't great swimmers and typically drown in a few minutes.
Safe because no poison, nothing to hurt your or your neighbor's dog, etc., can't hurt the kids and the icing on the cake, if they can access it, it works great for MICE, too!
At one time, in one bucket in a single day I caught 3 chipmunks and two mice. I got home that day and figured I had caught one - scooped it out with a scoop I made sort of like a very big long handled ladle with holes and realized there was something else in there......
Be aware - you MUST check and clean out the dead at least once if not twice a day. When it gets hot in the summer - if you forget and leave something dead in there for over a day - uh, well, CAREFULLY, with your nose plugged and wearing rubber gloves, take the bucket and all and dispose of it...... ugh, gross.
In a single week I think my record was something like over 2 dozen chipmunks and a dozen mice.
Sponsored