Sponsored

Midland MXT275 Install

JeepJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I have finally wrapped up my install of the Midland MXT275.
My intention was to make the install as clean as possible and leave the cab as stock as possible.
I specifically went with the MXT275 as it's possible remote mount the base and have all the controls in the handset.

I chose to upgrade to the midland with the ghost antenna, mount, and NMO extension cable.
Ghost antenna was installed on drivers side cowl using cool tech mount.
Antenna extension cable was routed through clutch pedal plug to cowl mount.
Radio base was mounted behind and to the left of the glove box and secured using zip ties, although i recommend velcro as it was hard to cinch down the zip ties.
For power i used the Quadratec 12 Volt Power Adapter to grab power from the cigarette lighter.
Unfortunately my truck did not come optioned with Aux buttons and a cubby takes it's place.
In that cubby i installed the rj45 extension to just peak out.

I did not want to use the mounts that most others use for their mics.
Radio will most likely only be used off road comms and road trips and will not remain mounted 24/7.
For that reason i did not want to stare at an empty mount 90% of the time.
Instead i put together an non-visible magnet mount.

Jeep Gladiator Midland MXT275 Install PXL_20220302_210537925

Jeep Gladiator Midland MXT275 Install PXL_20220302_210553227

I managed to get it to work using these magnets (1.26 inch D x 1/8 inch H)
The area to the right of the scroll wheel provides the perfect amount of space to mount the magnets.
I stacked 3 magnets onto the trim and one magnet onto the mic/handset for extra hold.
It feels very secured, but i have not tested off road to determine if magnets will hold.

Jeep Gladiator Midland MXT275 Install PXL_20220226_043334799

Jeep Gladiator Midland MXT275 Install PXL_20220302_210705098

I have not tested to see if/how magnet could affect the functionality of the radio.
Although i have seen that you can buy standard mic magnetic mounts and did not see mention of complaints.
Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Sweet setup, where did you put the base?

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Very nice install. I like the idea of the magnet mount

Newlife

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator rubicon
I don't currently have a picture but it's mounted in the space behind the glove box to the left of the cabin air filter. There's enough room to mount and coil excess cable.
Nice. If you get a chance would love to see the location I’m installing mine that’s been just sitting in the backseat since we brought alpine home just having a hard time coming up with hidden that won’t get soaked in deep water

Sponsored

ArmyMP

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon "Betsy"
Occupation
Veteran
I run an MXT400 on a mag mount there.

20220228_181917.jpg

Art1

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
I don't currently have a picture but it's mounted in the space behind the glove box to the left of the cabin air filter. There's enough room to mount and coil excess cable.
I like this option as I’m in planning stages on install, question is… no impact from the heat in that location?

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Have mine there as well. No issues.
I like that mag mount idea.

OP
OP
JeepJT

JeepJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
No issues so far. Finally got a chance to test the"mount" off road and no issues as well. Never fell off lol.

Sponsored

rocklander_jt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Nice. If you get a chance would love to see the location I’m installing mine that’s been just sitting in the backseat since we brought alpine home just having a hard time coming up with hidden that won’t get soaked in deep water
I would also love a pic or two of base location

jnack

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTD
I'm curious if you did any modification to the back of the mxt275 mic to get magnet to stick aside from removing screw for standard mic clip? the back surface is not totally flat since it has some grooves for the mic holder and the diameter of the circle is smaller than the magnet you showed.

i ask bc i tried to basically use a cell phone mount https://amzn.to/3Dl5gq4 and the back plate would not stay on with adhesive double side tape included or with VHB tape since it doesn't have much surface area to grip onto. i'm debit dremeling out those notches and/or just using JB weld

OP
OP
JeepJT

JeepJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
No. I didn't modify the back of the mic/handset. Yes the grooves we're in the way, but i didn't have to dremel or modify and the magnet did stick with the included double sided adhesive. You can potentially modify/cut the standard mic clip to be flat rather than the handset it self. Another idea would be to try using the VHB tape again but cut it so it sits flush around the grooves rather than on top.