First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
This is not a problem but I just find it weird.

Since I just had my steering gear replaced and found my fluid at min (thanks dealer service) and I bought a pint of the fluid for a salty $15, I was surprised how little fluid it took to get from min to max. Maybe an ounce. Min and max are honestly about the same.

So I got to looking at the other fluids (because I CAN'T NOT SCREW WITH STUFF DUE TO THIS JEEP SICKNESS I NOW HAVE!!!).

Anyway, I noticed that the coolant reservoir is the same. This truck probably has 3 to 5 gallons of coolant and the difference between min and max on the tank is negligible. As in the amount is so small that it can't possibly make any difference.

I also noticed that both steering fluid and coolant were at min from the factory and the brakes are full.

Hmmm...

Ill set all at full (because I must to quiet the voice in my head) but from the look of things it is not much difference.

They should just have a "FULL" mark which would suffice.

Doesn't really matter I guess. But ya know I gotta wonder why?
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Former QC/CWI, I too know how to screw with OCD people :devil:

Sponsored

oldhp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Galdiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Retired
Guilty as charged. I am indeed an engineer. And OCD.
I KNEW IT!!!!!!! So....................if I make the power steering fluid level 1/2 way between MIN & MAX when 1/2 warmed up it'll be perfect?.?.?.?

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2020, Cherokee 1995, Cherokee 1993
I KNEW IT!!!!!!! So....................if I make the power steering fluid level 1/2 way between MIN & MAX when 1/2 warmed up it'll be perfect?.?.?.?
Thats how mine came from factory before dealer screwed with it.
Hello from another OCD engineer that overthinks everything about his Jeep.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yup.

I noticed with mine when it was at the place the dealer left it, about 1/8" below the min cold line, when it was warm it was not quite up to the min cold line. Apparently modern steering fluids don't expand nearly as much as the old stuff did.
And the antifreeze is similar. Actually, the coolant used to expand and contract a whole lot - a pint in some cases. Today, not so much but it's no longer the ethylene glycol of the old days either.
Transmission fluids used to expand a lot more - but this isn't Type F or Type A or Dexron of the past, either.
Usually the marks are for cold checks. So if you fill it to at least min cold but not over max cold, it would be fine when warm. It used to be min cold and max hot in some cases.

As far as oil - let it sit several minutes after shutting down...... I wait at least 10 minutes. It's amazing the difference that makes on some engines.

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I am OCD. I constantly have the urge to check all fluid leves to make sure they are perfect, and feel the need to check the torque on every nut and bolt! But I don't own a torque wrench, or have the strength anymore to do it myself. I'm not old, just have zero energy from so many health problems the last 2 years.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I am OCD. I constantly have the urge to check all fluid leves to make sure they are perfect, and feel the need to check the torque on every nut and bolt! But I don't own a torque wrench, or have the strength anymore to do it myself. I'm not old, just have zero energy from so many health problems the last 2 years.
I hear ya, and I relate. That's why I've scaled down my work to things I can actually lift with my back how it is.........
OCD - I pulled the u-bolts and nuts that hold the rear differential to the springs under my car and stripped and re-plated them in clear zinc. I wash the drive shafts of my car. I paint the exhaust of my car. I keep painters tape on the sill plates so they won't get scratched (well, at $400 a pop if you can even find them now) I replaced the fuel rail on the 4.0 in my car because the original was getting old looking.
When I do starter restorations for others - I actually clean, strip and plate the field pole shoe pieces and polish the copper switch on the side and powder coat the starter frames as paint may scratch.
I zinc plate the squirrel cage fans on heater blowers - but no one will ever see them once installed.

oldhp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Galdiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Retired
OCD is why I traded in my 2019 R/T Challenger B5 Blue Shaker, that and my damn knees. I had a 2016 R/T white Challenger that I hated to drive because it had to be spotless when I parked it. When I ordered the 19 R/T I told myself "I'm not doing that with this car." Well I started doing it. I saw the damn JEEP...got a great deal and bought it as my DD. I drive it. Don't care so much that it gets dusty with bugs on it. The Gator color, to my surprise, doesn't show much dirt. I vacuum it at least once a week, but that doesn't entail much as I am the only one in it 99.99% of the time..........and I've found out if I don't drive into sun in the PM you can't see the streaks on the glass!!! OCD sucks....................
Sponsored