minor differences in trim levels?

russross

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Are there little differences between, say, the Sport S and Rubicon besides the big ones that are listed on the build tool? I know about the fenders, wheels/tires, lockers, suspension, bumpers, etc., and of course which options are available, but I'm curious if there are other little variations that don't make it onto the big feature lists. For example, on other cars in the past I have seen all of these missing on lower trim levels but present on higher trims, but the only way to find out was to climb in and look around:
  • mirror and vanity lights on the sun visors
  • automatic headlights
  • lighting in the footwells
  • different intermittent wiper settings
  • different options for the trip computer and other dashboard settings
  • fold down arm rest on the front passenger side
  • cargo cover (for a hatchback)
Does Jeep work this way, too? If I get a Sport S am I going to find out later that there are little creature comforts that are missing, or are the differences just in those big changes that have been discussed extensively on these forums? Maybe some of you with experience with Wranglers could have some insight into how Jeep usually does things?

I've noticed a few little things that almost sneak by: with cloth seats you don't get a center console/armrest in the back seat, and with the base Sport you don't get tinted windows. Are there others that I'm likely to have missed?
Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I don't have a comprehensive list, but the one that is irritating me currently is the lack of "convenience" features in the Sport S, specifically USB ports and plugs in the back of the front armrest. This is in the Overland and Rubicon, but there is no way to add it in the Sport.

Epb1981

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2011 corolla
Occupation
Fire Lieutenant
Are there little differences between, say, the Sport S and Rubicon besides the big ones that are listed on the build tool? I know about the fenders, wheels/tires, lockers, suspension, bumpers, etc., and of course which options are available, but I'm curious if there are other little variations that don't make it onto the big feature lists. For example, on other cars in the past I have seen all of these missing on lower trim levels but present on higher trims, but the only way to find out was to climb in and look around:
  • mirror and vanity lights on the sun visors
  • automatic headlights
  • lighting in the footwells
  • different intermittent wiper settings
  • different options for the trip computer and other dashboard settings
  • fold down arm rest on the front passenger side
  • cargo cover (for a hatchback)
Does Jeep work this way, too? If I get a Sport S am I going to find out later that there are little creature comforts that are missing, or are the differences just in those big changes that have been discussed extensively on these forums? Maybe some of you with experience with Wranglers could have some insight into how Jeep usually does things?

I've noticed a few little things that almost sneak by: with cloth seats you don't get a center console/armrest in the back seat, and with the base Sport you don't get tinted windows. Are there others that I'm likely to have missed?
I've been wondering the same thing. More specifically the difference between overland and sport s? Color matching fenders and the ability to upgrade to LED, and the ability to upgrade to leather seats?. Is that all overland really gets me? I'm hoping they do an altitude version. Because those wheels on the sport s are ugly. I almost rather get the sport, but then I lose on power windows. I Don't want to have to upgrade wheels and tires right away.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I've been wondering the same thing. More specifically the difference between overland and sport s? Color matching fenders and the ability to upgrade to LED, and the ability to upgrade to leather seats?. Is that all overland really gets me? I'm hoping they do an altitude version. Because those wheels on the sport s are ugly. I almost rather get the sport, but then I lose on power windows. I Don't want to have to upgrade wheels and tires right away.
Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I almost think the upgrade is worth it to get away from the wheels. (I know, its a "cheap" upgrade... its the principal, why put crap ugly wheels on a vehicle.)

My ideal would actually be an Overland with their "quality of life" options, coupled with the Max Tow package. I want that pair of axles and capability, but think the Sport S is lacking in other options. I don't know what's in the Altitude package... but liked the JK Willys Wheeler stuff, bring that back.

Epb1981

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2011 corolla
Occupation
Fire Lieutenant
Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I almost think the upgrade is worth it to get away from the wheels. (I know, its a "cheap" upgrade... its the principal, why put crap ugly wheels on a vehicle.)

My ideal would actually be an Overland with their "quality of life" options, coupled with the Max Tow package. I want that pair of axles and capability, but think the Sport S is lacking in other options. I don't know what's in the Altitude package... but liked the JK Willys Wheeler stuff, bring that back.
Altitude package on the wrangler has the black hard top, 18" black wheels, black accents? and a few other small things. I'd rather do that; then drop down a trim just to get better wheels. And I agree; it isnt the most expensive upgrade, just not something I want to throw money at right away. I would ideally like cold weather group, max tow, aux switches, black hard top, black wheels, and leather seats.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
i just looked at a Rubicon & an Overland side by side, and the wheels/tires on the Overl looked Awful to me = small & ugly. Also, the stock bumper on the Overl has cheesy silver trim, the headlights & grill openings too. Looked very cheap to me. The Altitude package is desperately needed-
Sponsored