Sponsored

Mishimoto 3.6L Gladiator Performance Air Intake R&D - More Power!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Hey everybody!

We're excited to be on the forums and announce the pre-sale of our 2020+ Gladiator & 2018+ Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6L performance air intake!

Jeep Gladiator Mishimoto 3.6L Gladiator Performance Air Intake R&D - More Power! 400-MMAI-JLP-18S_1

As always, we're happy to share our R&D process with you all. This intake shares a lot of the development process with our 2.0T intake, so if you haven't checked that out, take a look: Mishimoto Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0T Performance Air Intake

Our R&D post is below and you can find more details on the pre-sale on our website: Mishimoto 2020+ Jeep Gladiator 3.6L Performance Intake Pre-Sale

Thanks!
-Steve

As automotive technology advances and manufacturers try to squeeze more power out of every drop of fuel, forced induction (specifically turbocharging) is becoming increasingly prevalent. But, while forced induction can make a 4-cylinder as powerful as an engine twice its size, nothing compares to a naturally-aspirated engine’s linear powerband. Natural aspiration is power in its purest form – a one-to-one connection of right foot and forward motion.

For many Jeep enthusiasts, the simplicity of natural aspiration has kept them loyal to the 3.6L Pentastar V6 in their 2018+ Wrangler JL or 2020+ Gladiator. That simplicity also makes modifying an N/A engine straightforward. Unlike modern turbocharged systems that usually require a tune to gain power from bolt-on modifications, N/A powerplants benefit tremendously from anything that improves airflow to or from the engine. One of those simple modifications that many enthusiasts install is an intake. While intakes on turbocharged engines usually just increase turbo sounds, a well-tuned intake on a naturally-aspirated engine can make significant power.

...Continue Reading>>>
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I saw a youtube video () a while back, where a guy tested air filters to determine airflow and particulate matter that was able to get past the filter element. The test determined the K&N filter allowed a lot more air, but also a LOT more dirt. After watching it, I refuse to buy another drop in air filter. Your R&D article was a good read, but is there by chance any information comparing the filtering efficiency to stock?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I saw a youtube video () a while back, where a guy tested air filters to determine airflow and particulate matter that was able to get past the filter element. The test determined the K&N filter allowed a lot more air, but also a LOT more dirt. After watching it, I refuse to buy another drop in air filter. Your R&D article was a good read, but is there by chance any information comparing the filtering efficiency to stock?
Unfortunately, we don't have a direct efficiency comparison to the stock JL filter, but compared to other high-flow filters, our filters do have some major advantages.

Most high-flow filters use a cotton gauze material similar to what you would find in the pad of a bandaid. As you saw in the video, it flows well, but it doesn't filter as well as some stock materials. Our filters use multiple layers of woven cotton fabric that is more durable than gauze and filters better - I wouldn't be surprised if some of the 5+ micron particles he was seeing were the filter material itself shedding. Our filters also use a stainless steel mesh (as opposed to soft aluminum mesh in other filters) and more rigid casings that prevent gaps in the filter material and around the edges of the filter. Finally, we use an electrostatically-charged oil that attracts and holds small particles that may otherwise pass through the filter material. This filter material is used on many 24 Hours of LeMans cars. While it's not a dusty trail, that race puts a huge amount of strain on tight-tolerance engines and any little failure can be disastrous.

I will also say, as much as I love Project Farm, his tests aren't always the most scientific. Flour has a particle size ranging from 1 to 100 microns, so there's no way of knowing what percentage of particles in each test were over 5 microns. 126-2,900 particles is a big range, but it's possible the earlier tests didn't have as many 5+ micron particles. This is why ISO testing uses a calibrated test dust with a controlled particle size and volume. I would also like to see the test repeated a few times reusing the same filters, then repeated again with a few new filters that way he could average together the results and measure efficiency as the filters become loaded with particulate. There have been SAE studies that show filters become more efficient as the fill with particulate.

It's also important to remember that everything you do to add performance or utility to your JL, aside from maybe rock sliders and skid plates, will probably reduce its reliability in the long term. When we talk about particles around 5 microns, the damage they do over 100,000 miles is very small compared to the wear effects of larger wheels and tires, low speed crawling, or bad fuel. Obviously, you don't want to run without a filter and hope something else fails first, but everything in context.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!
-Steve

Last edited:

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Unfortunately, we don't have a direct efficiency comparison to the stock JL filter, but compared to other high-flow filters, our filters do have some major advantages.

Most high-flow filters use a cotton gauze material similar to what you would find in the pad of a bandaid. As you saw in the video, it flows well, but it doesn't filter as well as some stock materials. Our filters use multiple layers of woven cotton fabric that is more durable than gauze and filters better - I wouldn't be surprised if some of the 5+ micron particles he was seeing were the filter material itself shedding. Our filters also use a stainless steel mesh (as opposed to soft aluminum mesh in other filters) and more rigid casings that prevent gaps in the filter material and around the edges of the filter. Finally, we use an electrostatically-charged oil that attracts and holds small particles that may otherwise pass through the filter material. This filter material is used on many 24 Hours of LeMans cars. While it's not a dusty trail, that race puts a huge amount of strain on tight-tolerance engines and any little failure can be disastrous.

I will also say, as much as I love Project Farm, his tests aren't always the most scientific. Flour has a particle size ranging from 1 to 100 microns, so there's no way of knowing what percentage of particles in each test were over 5 microns. 126-2,900 particles is a big range, but it's possible the earlier tests didn't have as many 5+ micron particles. This is why ISO testing uses a calibrated test dust with a controlled particle size and volume. I would also like to see the test repeated a few times reusing the same filters, then repeated again with a few new filters that way he could average together the results and measure efficiency as the filters become loaded with particulate. There have been SAE studies that show filters become more efficient as the fill with particulate.

It's also important to remember that everything you do to add performance or utility to your JL, aside from maybe rock sliders and skid plates, will probably reduce its reliability in the long term. When we talk about particles around 5 microns, the damage they do over 100,000 miles is very small compared to the wear effects of larger wheels and tires, low speed crawling, or bad fuel. Obviously, you don't want to run without a filter and hope something else fails first, but everything in context.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!
-Steve
Awesome reply, thank you for the time to write that all out!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Hey everybody,

Just wanted to bump this up since there's still a few days left in the discounted pre-sale! Check it out on our website and feel free to let us know if you have any questions!

Jeep Gladiator Mishimoto 3.6L Gladiator Performance Air Intake R&D - More Power! 400-MMAI-JLP-18S_1

Thanks!
-Steve

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Hey everybody,

Just wanted to let you all know that the pre-sale for this intake has ended. Thanks to everybody who ordered! Your intakes should be shipping out soon.

Thanks again,

-Steve

STL Gladiator

First Name
Horace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Max Tow - traded, 2021 JT Rubicon
Hey everybody,

Just wanted to let you all know that the pre-sale for this intake has ended. Thanks to everybody who ordered! Your intakes should be shipping out soon.

Thanks again,

-Steve
Very interested in getting this and the real world results....the claims are much better than expected.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.