First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Glidator Mojave
Occupation
FA
I never thought I would end up buying a Mojave, because I assumed all off-road trims meant a bad ride… 6 months later, I can’t imagine owning any other package; it’s just a perfect for my use.

Here’s my question… I would love to add a front bumper and winch, but I don’t want to sacrifice what I think of as the perfect on/off-road suspension.

Do I need a winch? Probably not, but I love to go on solo expeditions.

Would love to hear from Mojave owners, but regardless, I know you guys in this thread can help me figure this out.
Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Would love to hear from Mojave owners, but regardless, I know you guys in this thread can help me figure this out.
Hah. Winch or not has zero to do with mojave or not. Has to do with your use of it. Will you be taking it places you may find impassable and be stuck with trees, other Jeeps, etc from which to winch off of? If the answer is no, your need for a winch is no.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Do I need a winch? Probably not, but I love to go on solo expeditions.
I don't have Mojave - but do have a winch because they are just plain handy for a lot of things.
I have used mine twice to help other people, one time was to pull a car out of a snowy ditch after an ice storm. A guy came off a fairly clear highway to a long curving exit ramp that was 100% ice covered and slid into a ditch. I pulled him out.
I used it another time to help a neighbor position a large stand-by generator onto a concrete slab.
I have seen cases where with my front receiver, I could pull a car up onto a flatbed trailer. Hook the trailer to the front of the truck, run the rope out over the trailer, pull car onto trailer.

Taking care of an acreage, living where there's snow and ice in the winter, my car hobby, I can think of ways to use mine. But it's not for everyone. To me, just that one time pulling the guy out when everyone else was driving by (likely because it was too icy for most of them to be much good) was worth having it.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer

Sponsored

b-roc

First Name
Broc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
I went with the rubicon steel front bumper (light'ish and crash tested) and a warn m8s (undersized for some but has worked well for my application ... did it for the weight savings). The only difference that I have noted is that there is one huge pothole (at least 8 inches deep, 2-3 ft diameter) that prior to the winch and bumper was smooth but noticable at 75mph (really only took it because it made me giddy about the mojave's handling 😄... I just barely get into the bump stop now ... wholey acceptable but probably worth considering if you already get into your bump stops ... no issues offroad)

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live in the Northeast. The salt and other de-icers corrode everything. So my plan is to buy a winch and mount it into a winch receiver cradle.

Then put a front receiver on my truck. These are cheap, running around $130. I have not yet confirmed that they will not have a problem with the remote reservoir.

One other option is a front bumper with a built in receiver. This is an example.

Either way, I have no intention of driving around with a winch on my Jeep. Also a receiver winch can be installed on the rear which could greatly simplify things if you need to winch to the rear.
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90212.htm

Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
I love my Mojave...
Rugged Ridge HD Full Width Front Bumper
Smittybilt XRC GEN3 12K Comp Series Winch with Synthetic Cable
Did not notice a change in ride...

Jeep Gladiator Mojave Bumper Mods 20220512_160527
I like that one too. Stock led fogs fit?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I live in the Northeast. The salt and other de-icers corrode everything. So my plan is to buy a winch and mount it into a winch receiver cradle.

Then put a front receiver on my truck. These are cheap, running around $130. I have not yet confirmed that they will not have a problem with the remote reservoir.

One other option is a front bumper with a built in receiver. This is an example.

Either way, I have no intention of driving around with a winch on my Jeep. Also a receiver winch can be installed on the rear which could greatly simplify things if you need to winch to the rear.
I had considered that, but:
The need for wiring to the back - without voltage drop
Not wanting to be in mud or snow and lug around 90 pounds of winch on a cradle (winch is over 80)
Front receiver good only for 9,000 pound pull
You must plan to have it with you, such as secured in the back of the truck.

And - the winch I have and how it's mounted is very protected, nothing of the winch is corroded/rusted or shows signs of weathering after 2 years.

We were heading to town shopping, I would have never had a winch tossed in the back of the truck when we ran across the guy in the ditch needing help. The winch would have likely been sitting in the way somewhere in the garage. IF I did have it in the back of the truck for some reason, I'd have had to drag it out, traverse snow and ice to get it in the receiver and connected.

After listing the negatives, considering my age, the weight, all factors I could think of in a pros and cons list, I couldn't justify not having it mounted.

That's me.

90 pounds lugging around in snow, ice and mud - meh, not me. Too old for lifting weights like that LOL

AKID_RBM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 23 GCL, 15 Cherokee TH
Occupation
Construction
Yes, stock LED fogs worked great

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had considered that, but:
The need for wiring to the back - without voltage drop
Not wanting to be in mud or snow and lug around 90 pounds of winch on a cradle (winch is over 80)
Front receiver good only for 9,000 pound pull
You must plan to have it with you, such as secured in the back of the truck.

And - the winch I have and how it's mounted is very protected, nothing of the winch is corroded/rusted or shows signs of weathering after 2 years.

We were heading to town shopping, I would have never had a winch tossed in the back of the truck when we ran across the guy in the ditch needing help. The winch would have likely been sitting in the way somewhere in the garage. IF I did have it in the back of the truck for some reason, I'd have had to drag it out, traverse snow and ice to get it in the receiver and connected.

After listing the negatives, considering my age, the weight, all factors I could think of in a pros and cons list, I couldn't justify not having it mounted.

That's me.

90 pounds lugging around in snow, ice and mud - meh, not me. Too old for lifting weights like that LOL
You raise good points. I'm ok moving 90 lbs. I just can't imagine anything lasting with the crap they put on the roads int he winter. Its not even salt. Its some liquid they spray from trucks. It is so bad that they have had to reduce its use on bridges because it was corroding them.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer

Keep in mind mind that for all the front receiver winch setups I am aware of, the 9k rating is straight line only.

For me, with all the points ShadowsPapa talked about and add in the straight line restrictions and I don't think it's worth it.
Sponsored