First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I am considering traing in my JLUR on a Gladiator. I am used to haveing both lockers and use both on aoccaision for the trails I run. Uusally it is n't anythng that serious but like unknown trails where whoops ther you are in an old strem bed that is tight and boulder strewn and frnakly iwth Jlur I don't worry about getting out.

BUT
I need more space. Since my JLUr is a soft top I can't get racks for anything less than 2g aand would have ahuge nosiy jungle gym onmy roof negating the fun of the soft top. With the gladiator I could get a rtt throw a surf board up there etc. I like the idea of the mojave and I am sure for most everything it would be fine.
How would it handle a winch? I guess there is no front locker? What is the t case ratio?
Could I still crawl it on pretty rocky stuff ? Is there the rear skid plate below the Bed?
i suppose it is all just worthless angst on my part . I mean heck 40 years ago I went where ever in what ever and didn't give a hoot. Still I would like to hear your opinions on the matter . Am I missing anything?
Sponsored

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
If you run the desert often and those types of fast runs and jumping, then mojave. I have more slow trails and crawling so Rubicon for me (I prefer the disconnecting swaybar and front lockers, it always makes a difference). I would prefer slowing down than not being able to get over something. But again, JMO :)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
For the same price, you get WAY more offroad options with the Rubicon. The Mojave really only does one thing well.....Desert type terrain. The Rubicon is kind of a jack of all trades. Mud, water, rocks, daily-driving with occasional hunting/fishing/offroading in situations that you will need F&R lockers you'll be glad you have the Rubicon. Plus, the 4.10 gears & the 4:1 transfer case are great when running 37's.

Also a factory JTR (Gladiator Rubicon) with the front sway bar disconnected, outperformed a Tacoma TRD with a $5,000 suspension lift on the RTI ramp... :like:

Can't remember where I saw the test at, but it was pretty damn impressive.

Sponsored

Scteal

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Both models are capable off road and really boils down to your style of driving. For me, I really wanted the Rubicon then came the Mojave, I was torn. Ended up ordering a Mojave last week and here is why.

It really came to the suspension and the roads that I will be driving. Here in Maine, roads are awful with plenty of pot holes and frost heaves. Hitting some of these frost heave can bottom out the suspension and it has on many occasion with my JKU. I also wanted the better softer ride as this will be my daily driver. Any off road driving that I do is on logging and farm roads that contain mud holes, small rocks and washboards, no crawling here. I also have no plans to lift as I will not run tires bigger then 35, plus the Mojave has the 1 inch lift.

As for the other features, don't really need a front locker but may put one in the future. Electric sway bar disconnect, I'll never need or use it. Off road plus in the Mojave, I can see using that feature when running through 6 or more inches of snow until the roads can be plowed. I don't tow much so 6000lbs is good for me.

So it really depends on where and how you drive and what features are important to you. Plus I really wanted that hood!

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Personally, neither one precisely because they do have lockers. When not locked, the diffs are open, one wheel drive traction killers. (Wet, slush, sand on paved roads where most driving occurs.) I would go for the Mojave for the stronger frame and suspension if your choices were the only ones offered, ditch the rear locker and add the Eaton geared diffs Fr and Rr along with manual SB disconnects.

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
I am trying to make this decision now.

I never had problems with the "normal" transfer case ratios turning 37s in my JKU. So not having a 4:1 t-case doesn't bother me.

I love the look of the Mojave but... If you lift it, you will need new shocks, which is what you are paying for. I think you could run 35s stock, but what if you want to go to 37s? Could you do a lift and keep the factory shocks?

I think a set of great aftermarket shocks would put a Rubi in the same place as the Mojave with more off-road choices (because of front locker and SB disconnects.) For example a nice 2.5" lift with great shocks and you could be running 37s and keep pace with the Mojave.

If I got a Mojave, I think I would to the AntiRock front sway bar and bolt on 35s and just run it like that.
Thoughts?

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
I am trying to make this decision now.

I never had problems with the "normal" transfer case ratios turning 37s in my JKU. So not having a 4:1 t-case doesn't bother me.

I love the look of the Mojave but... If you lift it, you will need new shocks, which is what you are paying for. I think you could run 35s stock, but what if you want to go to 37s? Could you do a lift and keep the factory shocks?

I think a set of great aftermarket shocks would put a Rubi in the same place as the Mojave with more off-road choices (because of front locker and SB disconnects.) For example a nice 2.5" lift with great shocks and you could be running 37s and keep pace with the Mojave.

If I got a Mojave, I think I would to the AntiRock front sway bar and bolt on 35s and just run it like that.
Thoughts?
If you lift it, you have to change the shocks.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
If you lift it, you have to change the shocks.
2.5" lift you don't... You can use lower shock extension brackets. That's what came in my Skyjacker kit.

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I have a special order Rubicon that was purchase and ordered before the Mojave was available. My choice now would be to order a Mojave with the same options as my Rubicon and add the "Heavy-Duty Rock Slider with Step", then add a Rubicon steel front bumper.

As more options/engines become available for the Gladiator (or any vehicle) at a later time, many others and I will wish that option was available when they purchased their vehicle. This is how Jeep maintains market security.

RockHopper

First Name
Silverrubicon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
EVO makes many kits that can make your JT rock crawling ready and desert racing ready. I have a Rubicon with an EVO set up on it that is amazing on all terrain types. I won't lie though, it wasn't necessarily cheap to get it set up this way! My point is you can have the best of both worlds if you want.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be more economical to add a front locker and manual sway bar disconnects to a Mojave than it would be to upgrade a Rubicon's suspension to match the Mojave's? I've also read in several places that the manual disconnects give you a little more articulation than the e-disconnects.

XJhawk

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales Manager
Both models are capable off road and really boils down to your style of driving. For me, I really wanted the Rubicon then came the Mojave, I was torn. Ended up ordering a Mojave last week and here is why.

It really came to the suspension and the roads that I will be driving. Here in Maine, roads are awful with plenty of pot holes and frost heaves. Hitting some of these frost heave can bottom out the suspension and it has on many occasion with my JKU. I also wanted the better softer ride as this will be my daily driver. Any off road driving that I do is on logging and farm roads that contain mud holes, small rocks and washboards, no crawling here. I also have no plans to lift as I will not run tires bigger then 35, plus the Mojave has the 1 inch lift.

As for the other features, don't really need a front locker but may put one in the future. Electric sway bar disconnect, I'll never need or use it. Off road plus in the Mojave, I can see using that feature when running through 6 or more inches of snow until the roads can be plowed. I don't tow much so 6000lbs is good for me.

So it really depends on where and how you drive and what features are important to you. Plus I really wanted that hood!
This is exactly what it came down to for me.
I live in Texas and have a part time home in Palm Springs. There will be a lot more desert in my future (retiring in 3 years) in the SoCal desert.
The suspension strengthening and shocks were enough of an advantage for me to order a Mojave on Monday as well.

MaybeAMojave?

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 6spd. 2018 Tacoma TRD Pro 6spd (totaled by a drunk driver April 2020)
Occupation
Former Aerospace Engineer, Current home renovator
I also recently ordered a Mojave. Coming from a 2018 Tacoma TRD Pro that was hit by a drunk driver while parked in front of my house...

Anyway, I'd say it boils down to how much time you'll spend doing what things. The Mojave will be better on-road and on rutted and pot-holed forest roads/mild trails that together make up probably 90% of my miles. The factory-installed/tuned bypass shocks on my Tacoma were seriously great at those things - and by most reviews, the Mojave should be even better. Both the TRD off-road Tacoma and Rubicon Gladiator are in my opinion severely underdamped for anything but low-speed use. I suspect because they're trying to get them to ride soft. Position sensitive damping (bypass shocks) permit soft damping at ride height with rapidly increased damping as the suspension travels.

The Rubi will have more articulation, has the front locker, and lower transfer case. If you're really going to play in the rocks, want huge tires, or want to lift it - go Rubicon.

Other factors: Which hood you like, if you want the sweet sweet grey leather, and if you like orange or red better :D
Sponsored