JET222

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Hello,

I have a Mojave, and am contemplating putting a steel bumper/winch on the front. I measured the height standing on the front bumper vs not, and with 195 lbs of weight on the front, it droops close to 1/2 inch. It is close to that in the back also, although a rear bumper would not weigh near that. In order to compensate for this, I was wondering if a spacer lift would be the way to go, or try to find stiffer shocks, like some Synergy 2 inch springs? I know that the AEV spacer lift does not fit the Mojave, and am wondering if adding one weakens anything? I have been looking at aluminum bumpers to lighten it a bit, but there is nothing like the strength a steel gives you.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Eherbaugh

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired USCG
I am waiting for all the parts to come in for my Mojave. I’m doing 1.5” teraflex space and bump stop for the front. Also doing a fatbobs garage 1.5” rear spacer lift along with extended upper rear bump stop. To ensure that the shocks are not to far out of parameters I am installing Rubicon express shock extension brackets front and rear. If need be I will order either longer sway bar links or a sway bar spacer. By doing all of this you are keep the suspension in factory parameters but just 1.5” taller. My thought is the Mojave sits fairly level now and I would like to keep it that way.

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2018 Desert Sled
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Thanks. I was really wanting to figure out how to run 37s without making a ton of suspension modifications (high clearance fenders?) but I haven't found much in my digging through the forum articles. Maybe I should just stick with 35s or revisit the Rubicon. I just really prefer the Mojave package personally....

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I guess I don't understand the Mojave crowd, who buys a truck with super expensive purpose built suspension... and then messes with it. I get the Rubicon for the gears and lockers, but the whole idea of the Mojave is the suspension... and then people go and mess with the suspension.

OP
OP
JET222

JET222

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
The issue is that the springs are so soft, if you add any weight to the front/rear they compress a lot, which could possibly push you outside of the bypass zone. I tried to get FOX and Jeep to give me technical info on the shocks, so that I could buy stiffer springs and still stay in that zone, but they are not wanting to give me the info. There are other reasons besides the suspension to purchase the Mojave, and I was able to get a great deal on mine (in my preferred color), when I went to purchase, so it made sense. The stock suspension is awesome, but after loading the bed with pavers for the backyard, and possibly thinking about adding some overland mods to the bed, bumpers, etc, the compression is definitely too soft for those purposes.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
The issue is that the springs are so soft, if you add any weight to the front/rear they compress a lot, which could possibly push you outside of the bypass zone. I tried to get FOX and Jeep to give me technical info on the shocks, so that I could buy stiffer springs and still stay in that zone, but they are not wanting to give me the info. There are other reasons besides the suspension to purchase the Mojave, and I was able to get a great deal on mine (in my preferred color), when I went to purchase, so it made sense. The stock suspension is awesome, but after loading the bed with pavers for the backyard, and possibly thinking about adding some overland mods to the bed, bumpers, etc, the compression is definitely too soft for those purposes.
Maybe just stiffer springs?

OP
OP
JET222

JET222

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Maybe just stiffer springs?
That would work, but I cannot find spring rate information, and most aftermarket springs are made longer due to people wanting lifts. Ideally, I would like a dual rate spring that is maybe 0.5 to 1 inch longer with the same spring rate. Once weighted (with bumpers and such) it would sit at proper height. I was also thinking that if I were to remove the spare and do a muffler delete (keep resonators and just straight pipe where the muffler is), it would remove the weight that a steel rear bumper would ultimately put back. The issue is up front, where you really have nothing to remove. For the time being, I am just seeing what companies start doing, since more Mojaves are selling, and sitting in a holding pattern.

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Pretty much any spring or shock change you make on a Mojave is going to be a downgrade. But with the weight I have added to my Mojave I have lost 3/4" of ride height, both front and rear.

Added weight includes a Warn Evo 12s winch (72 lbs), and an Arcus front bumper. The Arcus front bumper is about as lightweight as you can get for a winch bumper. All it is, is a winch plate and a lightweight thin gage stamped steel bumper shell, and two tow hooks. I also have a pair of Baja Designs LP6s on the front bumper, which weigh practically nothing. In the rear I have added a 35" spare tire, a good quality thick rubber bed mat, and I carry spare fuel, spare water, a cooler, and minimal gear in the bed. In the cab I have an ARB twin air compressor under the front passenger seat, and all of my recovery gear and spare tools under the rear seat, which took some time figuring out how to pack it in there, and now fills every square inch of that space. With all that, along with two people in the cab, and our spare clothing, and other toiletries for a week, the Mojave drops 3/4" at both ends.

I am going to install 3/4" spring spacers at both ends next Wednesday, when I have the time, along with JKS quick disconnects. I don't plan on needing shock relocation brackets, adjustable track bars, adjustable control arms, or anything else. I don't even think I'll need an alignment afterwards. I'm just regaining my stock height, and I'll call it good, with my 35" tires, ... for now. If I want to change to 37s in a few weeks I'll install the highline fenders and inner fender panels, and still run the stock suspension.

Just my thoughts on the Mojave.

Sponsored

BowHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Has anyone put air bags in the Mojave rear springs, I have had a Jk, JL and trucks that I put them in and they all worked great for hauling different loads like quads etc. Airlift says all JTs but are the Mojave spring longer? Even with 300 pounds in the back it sags a bit. 35” 315/70R17 if you’re wondering

ADECD119-2752-4238-AF77-DCA8FB47BCD1.jpeg

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Pretty much any spring or shock change you make on a Mojave is going to be a downgrade. But with the weight I have added to my Mojave I have lost 3/4" of ride height, both front and rear.

Added weight includes a Warn Evo 12s winch (72 lbs), and an Arcus front bumper. The Arcus front bumper is about as lightweight as you can get for a winch bumper. All it is, is a winch plate and a lightweight thin gage stamped steel bumper shell, and two tow hooks. I also have a pair of Baja Designs LP6s on the front bumper, which weigh practically nothing. In the rear I have added a 35" spare tire, a good quality thick rubber bed mat, and I carry spare fuel, spare water, a cooler, and minimal gear in the bed. In the cab I have an ARB twin air compressor under the front passenger seat, and all of my recovery gear and spare tools under the rear seat, which took some time figuring out how to pack it in there, and now fills every square inch of that space. With all that, along with two people in the cab, and our spare clothing, and other toiletries for a week, the Mojave drops 3/4" at both ends.

I am going to install 3/4" spring spacers at both ends next Wednesday, when I have the time, along with JKS quick disconnects. I don't plan on needing shock relocation brackets, adjustable track bars, adjustable control arms, or anything else. I don't even think I'll need an alignment afterwards. I'm just regaining my stock height, and I'll call it good, with my 35" tires, ... for now. If I want to change to 37s in a few weeks I'll install the highline fenders and inner fender panels, and still run the stock suspension.

Just my thoughts on the Mojave.
just a thought for you and others concerned about the springs and adding weight to your Mohave. I just did a rear seat delete and built a nice platform which accomplished two things:
1. It allowed me a great space to store items securely in the cab and..
2. It reduced the weight by 77 pounds giving me more capacity.

I wrote up the process here:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...seat-delete-platform-for-less-than-100.36228/

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Has anyone put air bags in the Mojave rear springs, I have had a Jk, JL and trucks that I put them in and they all worked great for hauling different loads like quads etc. Airlift says all JTs but are the Mojave spring longer? Even with 300 pounds in the back it sags a bit. 35” 315/70R17 if you’re wondering

Not trying to side track this thread but what mud flaps are you running?
They look great.

I run Air Lift air bags in my F-350 for carrying heavier loads and they work great. It allows me to have a normal ride when empty. We took our truck with the Hallmark Expedition camper on it to Alaska this summer and ran the Haul road to Deadhorse which is a 500 mile each way gravel road as well as a bunch of other gravel roads, some of which were pretty rough and the air bags worked remarkably well.

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
I guess I don't understand the Mojave crowd, who buys a truck with super expensive purpose built suspension... and then messes with it. I get the Rubicon for the gears and lockers, but the whole idea of the Mojave is the suspension... and then people go and mess with the suspension.

Easy there, professor--not the whole Mojave crowd....

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator

@JET222

IMO the answer to lifting the Mojave is a spacer lift and geometry correction brackets like AEV that extends the use of the factory shocks. I think the AEV lift will actually fit, as folks are finding other spacer lifts/shock extensions actually do fit the Mojave.

Re: people not understanding why we would want a suspension lift on the mojave....im confused as to why this even needs an explanation. We're adding load, we're adding bigger tires, just like other jeeps. Spacer and shock extension lifts work great, and will maintain the awesome shocks we have. Plenty of damping, plenty of control, plenty of performance. compressing the front 1/2" under winch and bumper i dont think is a big deal. Remember we are already higher than the rubicon by an 1" and our front springs are stiffer. Any concern about "Being outside the bypass zone" is nothing but conjecture at this point, or people who desperately want the mojave suspension to be inadequate. What we need is either: A- Fox to release the details of the shocks or B- someone to put the shocks on a shock dyno and get the data. My guess? Theyre fine. That there is plenty of allowance in the bypass zone, and sufficient damping to handle some additional spring rate for those choosing to do it. The other option is to play with the math. if your bumper and winch compress your front springs 1/2 inch, figure out how much they compress a rubicon spring. 3/4 inch? you could go to a rubi spring, 2" spacer and that would put you within 1/4-1/2" of stock. You'd fit a 35" tire just fine with no shock extension. Or, you could go with a 3.5" lift spring of a slightly higher spring rate and a 2" shock extension and be within a 1/4-1/2" as well. (assuming the spring lifts as advertised) you have to check what the lift is advertised as 2.5" for a sport? for a rubicon? with what added weight? etc.

As it sits, I dont think anyone knows FOR SURE:
A:
-what is the up travel of the mojave shock
-what is the droop travel of the mojave shock
-what is the overall length fully extended
-overall length fully compressed
-compare all these against the rubicon shock
B:
-where in the travel is the bypass zone active within the mojave shock

edit: I had a pallet box of firewood in my bed yesterday and it compressed quite a bit too. I'm stopping by a shop today or tomorrow to see about getting Air Lift 1000 air springs installed into the rear. It will maintain the ride quality while unladen and help with capacity. I'll post up what I find out.

Ive heard these springs cause an issue off road, but I have a good overlanding buddy that runs someones airsprings inside his rear coils on his lifted/long travel FJ and he hasnt had an issue. Been on the truck for a few years now too.
Sponsored

Last edited: