Mojave tow rating without tow package

floridaboater

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Saw a stripped Mojave on a dealer lot - the only option is an automatic (no trailer tow or any other options). With that configuration is towing capacity 4500 or 6000? Most posts specify Mojave AT at 6000 but no mention if that requires tow pkg.
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
If Iā€™m not mistaken, the Mojave has upgraded cooling package, so should be the higher rating, if an automatic. You would need to add the actual 2ā€ hitch as what a non-tow package comes with is only provisioned for a ball to screw in.

I believe the manual transmission neuters the tow rating.

the tow package on a Mojave, I believe, gives you the back up camera zoom and the actual 2ā€ receiver hitch.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If Iā€™m not mistaken, the Mojave has upgraded cooling package, so should be the higher rating, if an automatic. You would need to add the actual 2ā€ hitch as what a non-tow package comes with is only provisioned for a ball to screw in.

I believe the manual transmission neuters the tow rating.

the tow package on a Mojave, I believe, gives you the back up camera zoom and the actual 2ā€ receiver hitch.
Sounds about right.
Yes on the manual transmission being the biggest limiting factor across all JT levels.

Not sure if the rear springs would be rated differently to handle the trailer load....??

But the receiver type hitch is a biggy. Don't even think of pulling such loads with a ball in the bumper.
You can buy the exact identical correct receivers online, I think even ebay or Amazon. That means you can add it pretty cheaply, IMO.
The wiring should all be there.

Mojave is made for romping in the sand so I'd be surprised if the cooling was any less than what a tow package had.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Sounds about right.
Yes on the manual transmission being the biggest limiting factor across all JT levels.

Not sure if the rear springs would be rated differently to handle the trailer load....??

But the receiver type hitch is a biggy. Don't even think of pulling such loads with a ball in the bumper.
You can buy the exact identical correct receivers online, I think even ebay or Amazon. That means you can add it pretty cheaply, IMO.
The wiring should all be there.

Mojave is made for romping in the sand so I'd be surprised if the cooling was any less than what a tow package had.
The OEM hitch has the receiver welded to the rear frame crossmember that bolts to the frame, not cheap or easy to add if it did not come with it.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
why is the transmission the limiting factor for towing ? with that I would say my HEMI JT with the upgraded transmissions can tow more ?

Sponsored

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2021 BMW M2, 2012 Monster 1100evo
Occupation
Business Intelligence
why is the transmission the limiting factor for towing ? with that I would say my HEMI JT with the upgraded transmissions can tow more ?
i am assuming itā€™s the clutch, as itā€™s specifically the manual trans that has the low rating. Auto gets a higher rating

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The OEM hitch has the receiver welded to the rear frame crossmember that bolts to the frame, not cheap or easy to add if it did not come with it.
Nope - that cross bar IS the receiver hitch.
You take off the original cross piece, it's simply bolted to the frame, then you bolt on the new receiver to the frame. The receiver IS the cross bar. You don't just buy the 2" square, you get the whole thing for something over 200 bucks.
You do have to remove the bumper if I recall correctly
No welding needed!
It's pure bolt-on. Someone here actually bolted one on a few weeks ago, I believe.
Most Gladiator owners with some tools could do it in an hour or two, I bet.

This is the MOPAR Gladiator OEM receiver -

Jeep Gladiator Mojave tow rating without tow package gladiator-hitch

Jeep Gladiator Mojave tow rating without tow package gladiator-hitch-2

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Itā€™s not welded to the frame.

My Rubi did not come with the tow package. I bought the mopar OEM 2ā€ hitch and it bolts in.

About an hour or so labor, easy to add.

Most all gladiators come with the ability to punch a hole through the plastic and add a ball that screws in. This non-tow package method does NOT give you the higher rating.

Here are photos of what comes on all non-tow package JTā€™s and what comes with the tow package.

You can see where it bolts to the frame.

Non-tow package for screw in type ball.
Jeep Gladiator Mojave tow rating without tow package D31FE9C9-2669-46E5-9D1A-326230AE009A

Tow package hitch photos:
Jeep Gladiator Mojave tow rating without tow package 72958624-EB3E-43BA-AED0-33EB2498A77E

Jeep Gladiator Mojave tow rating without tow package D00838F0-A5BE-4B02-A101-71912AB4C740

Jeep Gladiator Mojave tow rating without tow package 30443DCA-CB29-4BF4-8E75-071E9A64462D

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
LOL - maybe you were the guy I was thinking of that had done this?

Sponsored

OP
OP

floridaboater

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Itā€™s not welded to the frame.

My Rubi did not come with the tow package. I bought the mopar OEM 2ā€ hitch and it bolts in.

About an hour or so labor, easy to add.

Most all gladiators come with the ability to punch a hole through the plastic and add a ball that screws in. This non-tow package method does NOT give you the higher rating.

Here are photos of what comes on all non-tow package JTā€™s and what comes with the tow package.

You can see where it bolts to the frame.

Non-tow package for screw in type ball.
Jeep Gladiator Mojave tow rating without tow package 30443DCA-CB29-4BF4-8E75-071E9A64462D

Tow package hitch photos:

Reread what I wrote, I said the receiver was welded to the rear frame crossmember which is bolted to the frame.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope - that cross bar IS the receiver hitch.
You take off the original cross piece, it's simply bolted to the frame, then you bolt on the new receiver to the frame. The receiver IS the cross bar. You don't just buy the 2" square, you get the whole thing for something over 200 bucks.
You do have to remove the bumper if I recall correctly
No welding needed!
It's pure bolt-on. Someone here actually bolted one on a few weeks ago, I believe.
Most Gladiator owners with some tools could do it in an hour or two, I bet.

This is the MOPAR Gladiator OEM receiver -

Reread what I posted, you are saying the same thing.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD

Attachments

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Reread what I posted, you are saying the same thing.
You said not cheap or easy........
It's only about 250 or so and an hour with basic tools. Pretty easy. Pretty cheap. Depending on where you buy it's only 100 different than a front receiver. Anything I can do in an hour give or take is easy to me. So I guess we have differences of definitions LOL

I don't consider the rear piece to be the frame, I consider it to be the hitch, maybe that's the difference. So it's not welded to a cross-member, it's bolted to the frame.
I guess I took it as meaning the same as saying the receiver I have up front is welded to the frame cross member.

Even the ball hitch provision for lighter towing is bolted to the frame ;-)

In any case, if he can buy that truck for the right price and all else is as he likes, that receiver is a non-issue, IMO (note the IMO, please)

It's all good - our ideas of "easy" and "cheap" may be different, is all.
Sponsored