Mojave vs Rubicon? Help me decide!

ScooterInTX

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I've found a couple at the local lots. The options/price that work for me are there on both but I've only been able to test drive the Mojave. I wasn't expecting it to have the highway manners that it did. Love the feel and the ride. The salesman let me get it on the interstate and cruse at 80 for a bit.
What I will be doing since it will be my DD:
  • 95% highway
  • 4% lake roads, trails, etc. (no rock climbing)
  • 1% towing for errands and a possible light camper rental from time to time
With either, I plan on adding a 2-3 inch lift just to change the look and possibly accommodate some different tires. Knowing this, would it make sense to maybe go with an aftermarket lift on the Rubicon with some Fox (or comparable) shocks that would give me the same great highway drive that the Mojave does? Again, I'm assuming that the Rubicon is less friendly on the road because of the spring/shock setup. Haven't test drove one yet.

UPDATE:
Thanks to the helpful suggestions in this thread, I picked up my new baby on Friday. I went with the blue Mojave. I fell in love with that color when I first started shopping and two dealerships had both the Rubicon and Mojave with almost all of the options that I would have ordered.

After spending a weekend with her doing the normal weekend stuff, I am beyond happy with my choice. It's comfortable enough that the wife is happy and it's just a lot of fun! The Texas roads used to rattle the teeth out of my head with my Taco but the Mojave is smooth. Zero complaints except the amount of money this dang forum is making me spend! Thanks again for the very helpful responses!
Sponsored

Last edited:

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Eco-diesel
I've had a Sport S for 10 months, a Rubicon for 2 days and my current Mojave for 4 months. I had the same issue and couldn't decide between a Rubicon or Mojave and, fortunately, a friend at work had a stock Rubicon she let me borrow for a couple of days.

I'll say this, you really can't go wrong. The Mojave does have a nicer ride on the highway, but not by a lot. It really shines on forest service roads or logging roads where I hunt a lot. That, the more bolstered seats and the hood (purely personal preference on looks) sold me on the Mojave.

If you'll do a lot of mods, I'd lean towards the Rubicon as the Mojave being such a new model doesn't have a lot of aftermarket parts (things like seat covers, aftermarket lighting, lifts, etc... are either not available yet or very few options). The Rubion has any mod you want with quite a few options.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Mojave, Better ride (barely) and better looking IMO..... I have also tested the Mojave and it was impressive how nice it took BIG washouts in the roads. It made my butt pucker at first until I realized that i was designed to have more suspension travel.

john#21

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM Hydro Blue
I've found a couple at the local lots. The options/price that work for me are there on both but I've only been able to test drive the Mojave. I wasn't expecting it to have the highway manners that it did. Love the feel and the ride. The salesman let me get it on the interstate and cruse at 80 for a bit.
  • 95% highway
With either, I plan on adding a 2-3 inch lift just to change the look and possibly accommodate some different tires. Knowing this, would it make sense to maybe go with an aftermarket lift on the Rubicon with some Fox (or comparable) shocks that would give me the same great highway drive that the Mojave does? Again, I'm assuming that the Rubicon is less friendly on the road because of the spring/shock setup. Haven't test drove one yet.

Rubicon.
-7k towing vs 6k
-Lift options are vast compared to Mojave

The road manners will improve with a nice lift so don't let that be much of a concern.

Green_Gladiator

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 22 NX350 F-Sport
Occupation
Commercial HVAC
So far I really love my Mojave .. the DD ride quality is awesome esp highway.. I also do a lot of washboard roads and dirt trails here in Florida .. performs flawlessly and really comfortable, have not towed with it yet ...
Jeep Gladiator Mojave vs Rubicon?  Help me decide! 20210905_132730

Sponsored

2tall

First Name
Carmino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRM
Occupation
Engineer
I have a rubicon and put Mojave shocks and springs on it. Drove the rubicon stock for 3000 miles and have been on the Mojave suspension for 500 or so. In my opinion the Mojave shocks are night and day on the highway. The truck is much more settled over bumps. Over a rise in the road the truck now settles after one compression. I tested before and after on a cobble stone street also and for low speed bumps there has not been much of a difference.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
For me, no diesel was a deal breaker.

But if you KNOW you're getting the gas engine, Mojave 100%. Taller ride height, less offset wheels, reinforced frame, locker usable at higher speed, better suspension, etc. It's a no brainer.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
  • 95% highway
Or get a Sport S Max Tow and add the lift and suspension.
The max tow package gives you the 4.10 gears like the Rubicon and the lighter axis.
Why do you want the Rubicon or Mohave?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Guns_N_Rosaries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Edition
Of the two, I think the Mojave is a better build UNLESS you are specifically getting one for slow rock climbing and rocky trails. MotorBiscuit had a good comparison, and the final take away was:

Ultimately, choosing between the two pickups depends on where and how you’ll be driving. If you genuinely do focus on low-speed, technical rock-crawling, the Rubicon is slightly better. But actually, if you really wanted to tackle those kinds of trails, the Jeep Gladiator loses out to the Wrangler. In almost every other scenario, the Jeep Gladiator Mojave is the better choice over the Rubicon. The work that was done to make it better at blitzing dunes also pays off on urban streets. To quote MT, it’ll do “90 percent of what the Rubicon will, while the Rubicon won’t do half of what the Mojave will.” - https://www.motorbiscuit.com/how-does-the-jeep-gladiator-mojave-compare-to-the-rubicon/

Motor Trend has a good comparison as well: https://www.motortrend.com/news/jeep-jt-gladiator-mojave-vs-gladiator-rubicon-whats-difference/

I'd go with the Mojave given the choice between the two, but the Rubicon name is certainly iconic in the Jeep world. In all honesty though with your use case, you could do perfectly fine with a Sport or Sport S with a tow package, and save like $10k. My use case is daily driver, working out on my family's ranch that only has dirt roads that get very muddy with any rain, and also towing a 3500 lb camper trailer. When I looked at all the different trims I ultimately decided on the Willys (which is really just a Sport S with a couple of additions) with the tow package.

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
The AEV Mojave 2" spacer lift is affordable and gets you the look you're after as well as the ability to run 37s. It comes with extensions for the factory Fox shocks which is nice.

I test drove both, intent on buying the Rubicon, and went with the Mojave. The seats, the suspension, and the overall look sold me. Nothing at all wrong with the Rubicon but it's setup for rock crawling which I didn't think was best suited for the really long wheelbase of the Gladiator. Of course ymmv as there are some really great Rubicon builds out there.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
If you're going to add a lift I'd go Rubi. You're basically throwing away the reason the Mojave trim is available, the suspension, by adding a lift. Putting 35s on won't be an issue. Cruising around on forest roads is a Mojave's speciality.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Under 5mph performance, (or diesel) Rubicon.

Over 5mph performance: Mojave.

itsdapk

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgerssuperchargers.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave , 2019 Ram
Occupation
Sales Manager @ Hamburger's Superchargers
3" RK kit with Metal Cloak shock spacers keeping factory Fox shocks. Ride is great!
Jeep Gladiator Mojave vs Rubicon?  Help me decide! 20210708_153109

Jeep Gladiator Mojave vs Rubicon?  Help me decide! 20210723_140855
Sponsored