First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Occupation
Master mechanic
I bought a gladiator sport in June. This was my first experience with a jeep. I tow a small tear drop trailer that weighs 2500 lbs fully loaded. I was impressed by how well it towed and driving down Forest roads, was nice not to have to dodge pot holes and how smooth it was going over rumble board roads. I have decided to upgrade to a Mohave or Rubicon. My question is, the Mohave is a high speed desert runner but is driving 35 mph down forest road considerd high speed desert running, and will the Rubicon do just as good at those speeds? I like the Rubicon because it tows more and although I don't do rock crawling, I do get into some bad situations where I may need that front locker. I guess my question is will the Rubicon give me a decent ride on rocky roads as the Mohave at the speeds I drive?
Sponsored

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
The Mojave rides better. I have a sport with 2" rancho w/ 9000's and 285's and a brand new Mojave. First thing I noticed is the 4:10 gears that the Mojave and the Rubicon have both make for better acceleration with 285's.

As for handling, I can take bumps and drainage ditch crossings at about 18-20mph, and the sport would get all over the place. I hit the same ditches in the Mojave at 40-50 and its smooth let alone when I do it at 20mph or driving down the road.

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Basically you have to decide if you want a front locker or bitchen shocks out of the box? Obviously if you lift and change things then the shock advantage goes away unless you use spacers for the shocks.

The sway bar auto disconnect, vs spending $175 to by manual ones that takes 2 minutes to un-hook at the trail head makes the sway bar option not really an advantage

your trailer doesn't weigh enough to make a difference on either truck. If in the future you were wanting to tow above 6k then you know the rubicon is the one to get I guess. I have diesel 250 also so I dont have any towing plans with either of mine

OP
OP

Brokenteck50

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Occupation
Master mechanic
The Mojave rides better. I have a sport with 2" rancho w/ 9000's and 285's and a brand new Mojave. First thing I noticed is the 4:10 gears that the Mojave and the Rubicon have both make for better acceleration with 285's.

As for handling, I can take bumps and drainage ditch crossings at about 18-20mph, and the sport would get all over the place. I hit the same ditches in the Mojave at 40-50 and its smooth let alone when I do it at 20mph or driving down the road

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I traded a Rubicon for a Mojave. The Mojave is much more plush riding, but also more controlled, better damped, and has noticeably less body roll in turns. This applies as much at low speed as it does at high speed. The Mojave will definitely give you a better ride, $7000 worth of shocks tends to do that. But it doesn't have a front locker.

Sponsored

SnazGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I've had various Rubicon Wranglers. The Mojave peaked my interest as I won't be rock crawling in JT. I like the idea of the JTM being a bit higher from the factory, so I don't have to battle with a service department that "some lift I did voids this or that factory warranty" of an interior part or whatever that has nothing to do with said lift. I also like that it has a stronger frame, the knuckles, the seats with more bolster for comfort.

I've done a ton of off roading over the years. The JT will be most often used for highway driving, getting though snow, mud on the roads etc. Off road into he forest, maybe some sand runs. I never liked how slow you were kept at in 4L in the Rubi during such conditions.

I'd driven the Mojave and Rubi back to back on some smooth roads near a dealership. I thought not that much difference. Again though, this was on nice roads. Not the majority of paved roads I seem to be on often with pot holes, washboard type surfaces etc.

Then, I found another dealership next to a freeway, some bad city streets and near a dirt/off road type terrain area with bumps, ruts and water run off ravines.

So, I took the Mojave first on the up and down the dirt area, those streets and then onto the freeway. Next, did the exact same with the Rubi.

The sales guy had no idea what I was keying in on. As he started bouncing around in the Rubi in the same spot we were just in, in the Mojave, he says to me, "Wow, that other one rides much smoother."

Yep, it does.

So, I shall twist and turn over which one to get for a good month or so more as I have both fully loaded on order! Stay a life long Rubicon guy or go for the better ride all around as again, I won't be attempting rock crawling in either the Rubi or the Mojave JT due to its length.

Yet, I want a fun 4x4 truck I can zoom along in.

Also, the plus of the 2021 Rubi or Mojave is the now offered full time 4x4 mode as well as 4 low and high. Not that you asked that, but throwing it in just in case others reading this weren't aware of that now option when too kicking around a 2020 or 2021 Rubi or Mojave purchase.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Also, the plus of the 2021 Rubi or Mojave is the now offered full time 4x4 mode as well as 4 low and high. Not that you asked that, but throwing it in just in case others reading this weren't aware of that now option when too kicking around a 2020 or 2021 Rubi or Mojave purchase.
I have a 2021 Mojave and did not know full time 4x4 mode was a thing. Is that an option or do they all have it?

shyoung1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave(SOLD) 2023 F350 Superduty
It’s an option on the Mojave, called Selec-Trac Full time 4WD, $695.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I just looked at my sticker, it appears I have darn near every option except that and Adaptive cruise control

Robicon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I traded a Rubicon for a Mojave. The Mojave is much more plush riding, but also more controlled, better damped, and has noticeably less body roll in turns. This applies as much at low speed as it does at high speed. The Mojave will definitely give you a better ride, $7000 worth of shocks tends to do that. But it doesn't have a front locker.
Yes to all except the body roll. I found the M has noticeably MORE in the sharp corners... guessing due to extra height and softer ride.
While I do wish the Mojave was available when I purchased my Rubicon... I wouldn't have got the big discounts if I waited... so probably wouldn't have ANY Gladiator. First world issues - isn't that what they call it?

Sponsored

SnazGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I have a 2021 Mojave and did not know full time 4x4 mode was a thing. Is that an option or do they all have it?
It is now an option on both the 2021 Mojave and the 2021 Rubicon. I have both on order. I'm really leaning towards the Mojave since driving both back to back on and off road recently. .

So, if anyone reading this is on the hunt for a fully loaded Rubi JT in Snazzberry with saddle interior/msrp is about 64k, feel free to private message me. I can share what dealer will have it once I make my final decision that I am about to.

It will be on/in the West Coast/Pacific NorthWest area to be picked up or shipped from. Not sure about rules of posting the dealer etc on here directly. Plus, again, I'm still in deciding mode. Though, after all the years of Rubicons, and that recent back to back test drive, greatly leaning towards the Mojave.

Factory shipping date is expected to be next week, December 8. But, of course that could change. Just putting it out there.

I can't wait to get either. Accessories are piling up in my garage!

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Yes to all except the body roll. I found the M has noticeably MORE in the sharp corners... guessing due to extra height and softer ride.
While I do wish the Mojave was available when I purchased my Rubicon... I wouldn't have got the big discounts if I waited... so probably wouldn't have ANY Gladiator. First world issues - isn't that what they call it?
I purchased a Hellwig rear anti roll bar to help mitigate that exact problem. Will update once it’s in.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
Wow, That makes zero sense to me. So you traded in your Rubicon for a Mojave. How much did you lose in the trade? You could have just bought better shocks for the Rubicon and been ahead in the game. Of course it wouldn’t have the added frame support but who is really going 80mph down a desert run. Plus you lose the front locker.

GladnotSad

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
VP Ops
I purchased a Hellwig rear anti roll bar to help mitigate that exact problem. Will update once it’s in.
Love to hear how the Hellwig is working for you.

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Love to hear how the Hellwig is working for you.
You know, I put it on as soon as I got the truck, so it’s hard for me to tell a difference. The Hellwig has three holes on the end, you can choose which of the three to connect the link to, with each hole giving a different amount of sway. Hellwig recommended using the center hole as a start point and adjust from there based on your driving style or preference. Right now I would say the roll I feel in the corners is normal, not too much, not super flat, so I may stiffen it up a bit later, especially once I put my RTT up there.
Sponsored