Sponsored

Mopar Aux Switch Install Testing

Richord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon, AMG GLC 43
I installed the Mopar Aux switch kit and flashed the computer with the Tazer. The Aux switch shows up in the setting menu but does not work.

I double checked the wiring and started testing to see if I could find any wiring issues. I checked the main 5 amp fuse and it's ok and has 12v to it.

1. I measured the voltage on the red wire on the connector behind the switch. Should there be 12V on the wire? Mine shows 0V
2. The black wire on the back of the switch shows it is ground.
3. Should the orange wire have any voltage on it?

Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Richord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update. The red wire does show 12V and the orange wire shows 12V.

Tried flashing the Tazer again but still not working.

Any trouble shooting help appreciated.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Sometimes when you rewrite settings to the body control module which controls the aux switches, you have to power off and exit the vehicle, shut the doors and let power down for an extended amount of time to go into "sleep mode". This allows the BCM to reboot on next power up after sleeping and new changes will then take.

I have heard this sleep mode can be a few hours to sometimes overnight when the BCM settings are changed.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Sometimes when you rewrite settings to the body control module which controls the aux switches, you have to power off and exit the vehicle, shut the doors and let power down for an extended amount of time to go into "sleep mode". This allows the BCM to reboot on next power up after sleeping and new changes will then take.

I have heard this sleep mode can be a few hours to sometimes overnight when the BCM settings are changed.

To add to this, IIRC (instructions are out in the truck) some of the functions take more than 1 sleep mode.

OP
OP

Richord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To add to this, IIRC (instructions are out in the truck) some of the functions take more than 1 sleep mode.
I tried numerous times to get the switches to work using the TAZER but still nothing.

I put a scope of the orange wire and I can see the signals going through so its wired up correctly.

The dash switch has 12V and ground and the orange signal wire.

The UConnect has the Aux switch and I can change the settings n the screen.

The backlighting on the switch doesn't even work and I was wondering if it should backlight regardless if it's flashed?

I reread all the threads for the Tazer and from I read it appears people who tried their own install like mine ended up going to the dealer to have it flashed because the Tazer didn't work for this. The Tazer works for other settings however.

Before I have to pay for the dealer to flash it any suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I tried numerous times to get the switches to work using the TAZER but still nothing.

I put a scope of the orange wire and I can see the signals going through so its wired up correctly.

The backlighting on the switch doesn't even work and I was wondering if it should backlight regardless if it's flashed?

I reread all the threads for the Tazer and from I read it appears people who tried their own install like mine ended up going to the dealer to have it flashed because the Tazer didn't work for this. The Tazer works for other settings however.

I don't have much for troubleshooting advice, but as far as the button backlights, they only illuminated AFTER I took it in to the dealership to have mine flashed.

Chris262

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Auto Technician
I recommend taking the tazer off and taking it to the dealership to get programmed

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
When it is flashed, all the fuses in the AUX wiring harness have to be good, along with the wire for the CAN bus connection. If everything is not proper, it has to be repaired and flashed again. The Mopar installation instructions can result in blown fuses in the AUX harness. The CAN bus wire is also critical. The AUX switches are not typical power switches that control the devices connected to them. They are triggers that tell the computer to activate the relays that send power to the devices.

SilverEagle

First Name
Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Power Generation

I don't have any experience with the Tazer, however i did just install the aux switches a few days ago and programmed with Jscan. I did the following and everything was functioning within 8 hours.

1. Do all wiring/connections with the negative battery cables removed. Also remove the body grounds and isolate.
2. Reconnect grounds, then negative cables.
3. program with Jscan-
1. AUX Switch settings
a.Aux switch Bank Module present- as found= deactivated, as left= activated
b. Aux switches is CSM, as found= blank or feature not present, as left= 4 switch
c. Aux switches ON/OFF, as found= blank or no aux switches, as left= 4
2.Radio User settings
a. Aux switches ON/OFF, as found =blank or feature not present, as left= 4 switch
4. It can take anywhere from 0-24 hrs for the adaptation to register in the ECM, I believe it takes 2-3 sleep cycles(when BCM actually powers down, doors shut/jeep off)

OP
OP

Richord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have any experience with the Tazer, however i did just install the aux switches a few days ago and programmed with Jscan. I did the following and everything was functioning within 8 hours.

1. Do all wiring/connections with the negative battery cables removed. Also remove the body grounds and isolate.
2. Reconnect grounds, then negative cables.
3. program with Jscan-
1. AUX Switch settings
a.Aux switch Bank Module present- as found= deactivated, as left= activated
b. Aux switches is CSM, as found= blank or feature not present, as left= 4 switch
c. Aux switches ON/OFF, as found= blank or no aux switches, as left= 4
2.Radio User settings
a. Aux switches ON/OFF, as found =blank or feature not present, as left= 4 switch
4. It can take anywhere from 0-24 hrs for the adaptation to register in the ECM, I believe it takes 2-3 sleep cycles(when BCM actually powers down, doors shut/jeep off)

Thanks for the comprehensive procedures you followed!

I purchased another OBDII adapter and Jscan and followed the same steps. Everything shows ok.

However when I do a Scan using Jscan I get an error that is:

U113B-00 lost communication with switch bank module.

I used the Jscan reset DTC codes and it repeats the error and says is “active” BCM

I assume this means it cannot reset the code.

I unplugged the new one wire connector with the orange wire and did a scan. More errors occurred including “can’t communicate with IBS intelligent battery sensor”. So it appears this connection is fine. I can reset the IBS error with Jscan.

It appears the BCM code for the the switch bank module is latched in some way it cannot be reset.

I think there’s some incantation that is required to make this work 🤓

Sponsored

SilverEagle

First Name
Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Power Generation
Thanks for the comprehensive procedures you followed!

I purchased another OBDII adapter and Jscan and followed the same steps. Everything shows ok.

However when I do a Scan using Jscan I get an error that is:

U113B-00 lost communication with switch bank module.

I used the Jscan reset DTC codes and it repeats the error and says is “active” BCM

I assume this means it cannot reset the code.

I unplugged the new one wire connector with the orange wire and did a scan. More errors occurred including “can’t communicate with IBS intelligent battery sensor”. So it appears this connection is fine. I can reset the IBS error with Jscan.

It appears the BCM code for the the switch bank module is latched in some way it cannot be reset.

I think there’s some incantation that is required to make this work 🤓
I would double check that all the wiring is correct. Mainly the orange wires.

I had issues with the new connector supplied in the kit, so I opted to splice the orange wires direct with a butt connector and shrink tube.

Make sure the orange wire that gets placed in the large harness is fully seated and not in upside down.

you may want to check your pin placement in the switch harness as well.

sounds to me like a poor/wrong connection somewhere

do all of this of course with the battery disconnected

teamblkdog

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
Definitely check your pin placement. I would have sworn I followed the instructions precisely, but finally bit the bullet and went back through the steps to check — my pins were backwards :blush:

OP
OP

Richord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely check your pin placement. I would have sworn I followed the instructions precisely, but finally bit the bullet and went back through the steps to check — my pins were backwards :blush:
Thanks for the help folks. It was a "wiring Problem" after all.

1. I deactivated the switches using Jscan,
2. I disconnected the battery
3. Unplugged the harness
4. Returned the orange wire to its original connections - I wired in some wire plugs to make this easy
5. I pulled the pins from the connector on the switch.
6. Reconnected the battery to check if everything was normal - it was.
7. Inserted the pins into the switch directly, not using the connector. I put some heat shrink tubing around each wire but didn't shrink it to prevent the wires touching each other.
8. Reinstalled the connections on the harness and rerouted the orange wire.
9. Reconnected the battery.
10. Used Jscan to activate the Aux switch
11. Reset the ECU"S.
12. The switches worked!
13. I installed the switch connector. I I had to push them in pretty hard to get then to click. It's then that I realized that I shouldn't have been able to pull them out earlier if they had been properly seated! In hindsight they did no make contact with the pins on the switch!

Great to get the help on the forum. It helped keep me from losing what little mind I have :)

Regards,

Richard.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
That orange wire is a bitch. I end up wiring it directly to the orange. The pin crap didn't have a good connection. It's been working fine for a year. I used the taser to activate it.

OP
OP

Richord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That orange wire is a bitch. I end up wiring it directly to the orange. The pin crap didn't have a good connection. It's been working fine for a year. I used the taser to activate it.
Agreed! I cut off the wire on both sides of the connector and soldered on extensions and connectors. Unless you have the proper tools to extract and insert the Molex pins I suggest don't try to do it with conventional tools.

I installed two LED lights up on the cowl and made some brackets to install a 30" light bar on the bumper. I now can light up the neighborhood to avoid smashing into the deer!
Sponsored