Sponsored

Mopar bed rail system is garbage

RenoRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Install went smooth until I noticed the last side rail end cap which has a support bolt hole that goes into the rivnut cracked off and was in the box. Package arrived in great condition but that doesn’t instill confidence in the ability for this rail system to support that much weight. I mean why even have the end cap (plastic it appears) have bolt holes to bolt into the bed.

buy from built right. I only bought the mopar one Bc I needed this fast and built right didn’t respond to my multiple inquiries if they had the bed rail in stock or not.

mopar garbage

0F380C16-CB84-4F08-94A0-FDD91DE143B7.jpeg
Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
You’ve got 20 posts on here and you trash the Mopar Trail Rail, a system that’s is installed and used by thousands because you installed the rail without noticing a piece of plastic was broken in the box until after you installed it?!

And so you decide you need to tell the world “the Mopar bed rail system is garbage” - a post that will be on the Internet long after you’ve sold your Gladiator. But you weren’t done with Mopar as you had to throw shade at Built-Rite because they didn’t respond to you fast enough.

Just because you know how to order a product or post online doesn’t mean you should do either.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I like mine.

That bolt retains the cap, it is not structural or in any way involved in keeping your shit together.

OP
OP
RenoRubi

RenoRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’ve got 20 posts on here and you trash the Mopar Trail Rail, a system that’s is installed and used by thousands because you installed the rail without noticing a piece of plastic was broken in the box until after you installed it?!

And so you decide you need to tell the world “the Mopar bed rail system is garbage” - a post that will be on the Internet long after you’ve sold your Gladiator. But you weren’t done with Mopar as you had to throw shade at Built-Rite because they didn’t respond to you fast enough.

Just because you know how to order a product or post online doesn’t mean you should do either.
this is my wife’s account so let me be more constructive here with criticism of the mopar kit.

1) the rivnut nutsert is nearly a useless item given the load bearing potential of the plastic end cap that is bolted into it can crack that easily. Perhaps it may benefit an additional 30 lb of downward force (but I am no engineer just a guy whom has owned a Jeep for over a year and has done all of his own mods).

2) why bother with the nutsert design. It’s obvious from the built right team it’s not really necessary to install a load bearing plastic end cap as their design does not need one. Nutserts for those whom have not installed them can be a pain. These were not that bad considering they are a smaller diameter.

the rails themselves are not that bad fit and finish are just fine. That being said I would rather have supported built right whom specializes in bed rail accessories as they likely know what they are doing.

To your point of “throwing shade” sorry I don’t speak new age slang. I find it perfectly acceptable in a public Internet forum where information should be shared that’s truthful I was merely stating a fact. That after 5 days and multiple messages left for them they never returned my message inquiries. I don’t see why that’s wrong to state facts. That’s not “throwing shade”.

lastly you sir are the reason why people jump ship from the w-a-y-a-life forum. Luckily for me I have tougher skin than my wife and probably should have posted on my own screen name, as I have been a long time several hundred post member on the jlwranglerforum and I never attack noobs. Please recognize that forums are for information sharing and honest opinions and this is my honest opinion of the mopar system. Don’t like what you read well just move on. But others need to know that it’s not perfect and has flaws.

OP
OP
RenoRubi

RenoRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh also @WhatExit? I can guarantee you we will not be ditching our gladiator anytime soon, we dumped our f-150 for it and have a JLUR so you figure. Please go troll someone And somewhere else.

Sponsored

block

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jk
i love the trail rail system.. i find it very useful

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
I like mine.

That bolt retains the cap, it is not structural or in any way involved in keeping your shit together.
/This

There is a bolt in the bed side that supports it. That endcap looks pretty un-needed. My Linex shop was super carful not to get product in the bed holes, but I forgot to tell them about the ones on the end (for the plastic) they were too heavily coated for me to get the riv-nut in.... so I didn't. I installed them and left that out. I am not worried about the strength at all.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
this is my wife’s account so let me be more constructive here with criticism of the mopar kit.

1) the rivnut nutsert is nearly a useless item given the load bearing potential of the plastic end cap that is bolted into it can crack that easily. Perhaps it may benefit an additional 30 lb of downward force (but I am no engineer just a guy whom has owned a Jeep for over a year and has done all of his own mods).

2) why bother with the nutsert design. It’s obvious from the built right team it’s not really necessary to install a load bearing plastic end cap as their design does not need one. Nutserts for those whom have not installed them can be a pain. These were not that bad considering they are a smaller diameter.

the rails themselves are not that bad fit and finish are just fine. That being said I would rather have supported built right whom specializes in bed rail accessories as they likely know what they are doing.

To your point of “throwing shade” sorry I don’t speak new age slang. I find it perfectly acceptable in a public Internet forum where information should be shared that’s truthful I was merely stating a fact. That after 5 days and multiple messages left for them they never returned my message inquiries. I don’t see why that’s wrong to state facts. That’s not “throwing shade”.

lastly you sir are the reason why people jump ship from the w-a-y-a-life forum. Luckily for me I have tougher skin than my wife and probably should have posted on my own screen name, as I have been a long time several hundred post member on the jlwranglerforum and I never attack noobs. Please recognize that forums are for information sharing and honest opinions and this is my honest opinion of the mopar system. Don’t like what you read well just move on. But others need to know that it’s not perfect and has flaws.

With all due respect, coming onto a forum and trashing a product with a scathing thread subject is not the way to review a product. You'd know that if you ever ran your own business or had to support your company's business based on what people post/say online about your products.

I don't doubt you feel that the product is "not perfect and has flaws" - how cool it would've been if that's what you said especially in your thread title. FYI: I'm not saying that the Mopar Trail Rail is the best product ever designed or sold but it's not the POS you said it is especially based on a piece of plastic that likely broke in shipping.

We do agree on a couple things: (1) Weird-A-Life is one guy's idea of how he can use his website forum to get free products from Jeep "sponsors" all while sycophants flock to kiss his azz and win his favor. And (2) - I always so no to Nutserts - they are the worst and I'll never use them again.

I hope you find happiness with your Trail Rail or whatever you go with in your Gladiator's bed. I look forward to reading your other posts :like:

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh also @WhatExit? I can guarantee you we will not be ditching our gladiator anytime soon, we dumped our f-150 for it and have a JLUR so you figure. Please go troll someone And somewhere else.
3vob5u.jpg

mzeblue

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, E300
[....] I mean why even have the end cap (plastic it appears) have bolt holes to bolt into the bed.

mopar garbage

0F380C16-CB84-4F08-94A0-FDD91DE143B7.jpeg
I bought Mopar rails as take-offs from someone who installed a retractable tonneau that wasn’t compatible. One of the end caps was broken exactly like yours. As you say, having the cap and that attachment point is a complete waste. (A smart engineer at Jeep would do well to propose a cost reduction by eliminating that cap and the associated assembly time. On the other hand, maybe the extra unnecessary parts helps “domestic” content. Who knows).

I decided that the rear attachments were unnecessary anyway, and hating assymetry, I removed the caps. The rails work well for their intended purpose without the stupid and unnecessary end caps.

OP
OP
RenoRubi

RenoRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought Mopar rails as take-offs from someone who installed a retractable tonneau that wasn’t compatible. One of the end caps was broken exactly like yours. As you say, having the cap and that attachment point is a complete waste. (A smart engineer at Jeep would do well to propose a cost reduction by eliminating that cap and the associated assembly time. On the other hand, maybe the extra unnecessary parts helps “domestic” content. Who knows).

I decided that the rear attachments were unnecessary anyway, and hating assymetry, I removed the caps. The rails work well for their intended purpose without the stupid and unnecessary end caps.
Agreed! That’s what we were trying to say. For those whom actually has to install these the rivnut is kind of a pain and serves really no purpose. That’s why I feel the design sucked. If if were an aluminum end cap that could actually bear weight then I would feel “hey that’s a good design and worth the rivnut install”. Just getting the info out there and I appreciate you doing the same for the public.
Sponsored