Mopar gladiator roof rack

Craig rubi

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Hi all. Just got the Mopar gladiator roof rack/cross bars. Gonna install them tomorrow. Anyone got any comments/hints/tips/ problems?
Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I ordered some too and they have been sitting in the garage waiting. Guess I need to leave the top on long enough to try them out. I have seen many people do it but I am just going to run mine on the back half of the roof. Just not very comfortable with having a big ole wind catcher attached to the freedom panels.

OP
OP
Craig rubi

Craig rubi

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah... I got ya on the freedom panel thing. They are pretty obvious about how they shouldn't go on there... Sometimes though for a short trip with my canoe at low speeds I would consider it. Anyway, couldn't wait and installed them tonight. The flat screwdriver locker plastic items for the cover plate are kinda weak and won't be surprised if I end up looking for
IMG_20190910_200456.jpg
replacements for those. 3 outta 4 went back in fine and 1 needed to be turned around and around until it gripped, although not at the suggested angle.
Be careful with those when putting the cover plate back on.

OP
OP
Craig rubi

Craig rubi

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
And also,look out for the rubber seals at the door/ roof points for pinching when installing.

MontanaJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
For locks instead of the flimsy plastic piece I used the
Yakima - SKS Lock Cores Car Rack System Components.

They worked great

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Yeah... I got ya on the freedom panel thing. They are pretty obvious about how they shouldn't go on there... Sometimes though for a short trip with my canoe at low speeds I would consider it. Anyway, couldn't wait and installed them tonight. The flat screwdriver locker plastic items for the cover plate are kinda weak and won't be surprised if I end up looking for
IMG_20190910_200456.jpg
replacements for those. 3 outta 4 went back in fine and 1 needed to be turned around and around until it gripped, although not at the suggested angle.
Be careful with those when putting the cover plate back on.
I believe Yakima lock cylinders fit the rack, I had one on my JLUR and that was a planned upgrade but traded it before I got around to it. If it whistles, you can cover the seam along the bottom of the bars with gorilla tape or vinyl and it should cure it.

OP
OP
Craig rubi

Craig rubi

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I believe Yakima lock cylinders fit the rack, I had one on my JLUR and that was a planned upgrade but traded it before I got around to it. If it whistles, you can cover the seam along the bottom of the bars with gorilla tape or vinyl and it should cure it.
You read my mind...the whistle is definitely there. I'll look later for the seam you mentioned. Thanks.
Will totally look for those lock cylinders too.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
You read my mind...the whistle is definitely there. I'll look later for the seam you mentioned. Thanks.
Will totally look for those lock cylinders too.
Yup, there's a long thread on the JL wrangler forums (sister site) that details all of that stuff, but those were the two main things. It's a nice rack and I got good use of it on my JLUR. The whistle was disappointing for a factory rack, but luckily not too difficult to fix.

Domsgarage

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Thinking about these myself. How comfortable are you guys with it being mounted to the fiberglass top. Seems a bit weak to me, makes me slight concerned to put two kayaks up there...

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Thinking about these myself. How comfortable are you guys with it being mounted to the fiberglass top. Seems a bit weak to me, makes me slight concerned to put two kayaks up there...
Manufacturer Recommended Weight Limit is 150 lbs, which I assume is while moving. Depending on the weight of your kayaks (the one I'll be getting is <50 lbs) I wouldn't be concerned, but I'd be sure to use front and rear tie-downs if I was hitting the highway or bumpy roads.

jlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport-S Max Tow, Punkin Metallic
How does this ACTUALLY mount to the hardtop? Drill, clamps, ??? Pics?
Sponsored