David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired pilot
Folks,

Bought my Gladiator on Memorial Day weekend. Traded my 2018 Wrangler and got $4K over what I owed (and more that I paid for it!) Decided to spend the big bucks for the OEM roll-up bed cover. Now I understand why it was so expensive- it’s made of the same material they use on convertible tops on modern cars, not some crappy vinyl. So, after reading the instructions, I’m convinced this is going to take less than an hour. It should have, except for one thing- the directions show two nut plates for the two M8 bolts that hold the cover frame at the front of the bed to already be welded to to the bed box. After you cut out the plastic block-off plate, the four M6 nut plates for the latches are there., The holes for the forward mounts are pre-drilled, in the bed box, but there is nothing for the bolts to screw into in my 2021 Gladiator. The tonneau covet kit did not have any nuts or washers, only four M6 bolts and two M8 bolts. Had to go to the local hardware store and get a couple self-locking M8 coarse-thread nuts and stainless steel washers. It was a bitch getting them on the bolt between the cab and the bed, and another bitch getting a wrench on them to tighten the bolts. Don’t know why I didn’t have the threaded nut plates installed front m the factory, so I’m curious whether they are there in other 2021 and 2020 models.

The Jeep video about the tonneau cover talks about how easy it is to remove the whole thing just by removing the two M8 bolts. Yeah, it would be if the nut plates were installed from the factory. But there’s no way I’m removing the whole cover if I don’t have to! Getting the washers and nuts on was a major undertaking!

Now that it’s installed, it looks good and seems very functional. I had to make a small adjustment to the latches by latching the tonneau cover, loosening the two M6 bolts on each latch, then re-tightening them while the cover is still latched with me pressing down on the back part of the frame. People say it’s not a locking cover, but if I push down to the back and close the tailgate, I can’t easily pull the rear flap of the tonneau cover up to get into the bed. I’m sure with a tool and enough force it’s easy to break into, but the covet isn’t for security as much as keeping things dry. Anyone with a pry bar or a knife could get into the bed. But the same goes for a convertible car. Overall, this seems like a good product, except for the lack of threaded holes to bolt into, and the lack of nuts in the kit. Interested in hearing about the experiences others are having!

Best Regsrds,
David
Sponsored

MarkrR6754

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2005 Crossfire Roadster
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Folks,

Bought my Gladiator on Memorial Day weekend. Traded my 2018 Wrangler and got $4K over what I owed (and more that I paid for it!) Decided to spend the big bucks for the OEM roll-up bed cover. Now I understand why it was so expensive- it’s made of the same material they use on convertible tops on modern cars, not some crappy vinyl. So, after reading the instructions, I’m convinced this is going to take less than an hour. It should have, except for one thing- the directions show two nut plates for the two M8 bolts that hold the cover frame at the front of the bed to already be welded to to the bed box. After you cut out the plastic block-off plate, the four M6 nut plates for the latches are there., The holes for the forward mounts are pre-drilled, in the bed box, but there is nothing for the bolts to screw into in my 2021 Gladiator. The tonneau covet kit did not have any nuts or washers, only four M6 bolts and two M8 bolts. Had to go to the local hardware store and get a couple self-locking M8 coarse-thread nuts and stainless steel washers. It was a bitch getting them on the bolt between the cab and the bed, and another bitch getting a wrench on them to tighten the bolts. Don’t know why I didn’t have the threaded nut plates installed front m the factory, so I’m curious whether they are there in other 2021 and 2020 models.

The Jeep video about the tonneau cover talks about how easy it is to remove the whole thing just by removing the two M8 bolts. Yeah, it would be if the nut plates were installed from the factory. But there’s no way I’m removing the whole cover if I don’t have to! Getting the washers and nuts on was a major undertaking!

Now that it’s installed, it looks good and seems very functional. I had to make a small adjustment to the latches by latching the tonneau cover, loosening the two M6 bolts on each latch, then re-tightening them while the cover is still latched with me pressing down on the back part of the frame. People say it’s not a locking cover, but if I push down to the back and close the tailgate, I can’t easily pull the rear flap of the tonneau cover up to get into the bed. I’m sure with a tool and enough force it’s easy to break into, but the covet isn’t for security as much as keeping things dry. Anyone with a pry bar or a knife could get into the bed. But the same goes for a convertible car. Overall, this seems like a good product, except for the lack of threaded holes to bolt into, and the lack of nuts in the kit. Interested in hearing about the experiences others are having!

Best Regsrds,
David
Pics? I thought there was a compression nut that had to be installed first, and that required a special tool to insert. Still weighing options to do my own. Considering just getting a Softopper and covering the entire bed. About the same price.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Pics? I thought there was a compression nut that had to be installed first, and that required a special tool to insert. Still weighing options to do my own. Considering just getting a Softopper and covering the entire bed. About the same price.
Rivnut. I sold my cover to @Green_Gladiator and he found the right rivnut and installed it no issues. I left my rivnuts in my JT, sent him everything else.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homebrewer
Here’s the 2021 factory setup. Note the location of the mount hole on the tab. On prior year models it was lower.

Jeep Gladiator MOPAR Jeep Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover Install on 2021 Gladiator Oveland 99785C0C-3C43-48AA-B807-B7B323DED386

Top hole anchor point below whereas prior year models used the bottom hole (from what I saw on YouTube. Also, that bolt is an M8, not an M6 (also used in prior years?), so this is exactly the same as the hardtop bolt. Note the rivnut location, it has a factory hex shaped hole in the bed to push the rivnut into. I did not remove mine to provide with the sale, but the buyer found them online.

Jeep Gladiator MOPAR Jeep Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover Install on 2021 Gladiator Oveland C1B64E87-AD7D-412C-8A91-3D8792094D55

Side latches. You will have to cut the plastic top rail to access the factory screw holes similar to the factory cutout below.

Jeep Gladiator MOPAR Jeep Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover Install on 2021 Gladiator Oveland C945FF1E-8BDF-4CA8-B5AA-E89EC11FEC7E
Jeep Gladiator MOPAR Jeep Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover Install on 2021 Gladiator Oveland 6BD7335F-9070-47AC-BF07-708182F30C8A

Actual M8 hardtop bolt below installed finger tight to demonstrate the same bolt being used when a parts supplier thought it was an M6.

Jeep Gladiator MOPAR Jeep Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover Install on 2021 Gladiator Oveland 530B274A-447C-4792-9B52-D20EB094AFDE

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigbrownpilot

Bigbrownpilot

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired pilot
The anchor points for my bed cover also use the upper holes. The hole below that is for an alignment pin molded into the plastic fitting. The kit provides two m8 bolts but no rivnut. That’s exactly what I needed and had I done my research or posted my problem here before diving in, probably would have figured that out. The instructions are just pictures. There’s not a word in any language. So, either including a rivnut or putting in writing “before you start, go to the hardware store and buy an M8 threaded rivnut” should have saved a lot of ass pain.

Now that it’s on and tight, I’m not sure I want to remove it to install the rivnut. I think I’ll order a couple in case I decide to remove the bed cover in the future and re-install. Thanks for the info!

Sponsored

DunChasnPyro

First Name
Ricke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
I just recently installed the Mopar roll-up cover on my JT. I just purchased the M8 hexagonal rivet nuts from Amazon. These worked perfectly. I have the tool but they can be installed by using an M8 bolt, nut, washer and larger nut that will allow for the compression. This way is kind of a PITA but it will work with patients.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS63NZ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have a few left. PM me and I would be happy to send you a couple.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homebrewer
The anchor points for my bed cover also use the upper holes. The hole below that is for an alignment pin molded into the plastic fitting. The kit provides two m8 bolts but no rivnut. That’s exactly what I needed and had I done my research or posted my problem here before diving in, probably would have figured that out. The instructions are just pictures. There’s not a word in any language. So, either including a rivnut or putting in writing “before you start, go to the hardware store and buy an M8 threaded rivnut” should have saved a lot of ass pain.

Now that it’s on and tight, I’m not sure I want to remove it to install the rivnut. I think I’ll order a couple in case I decide to remove the bed cover in the future and re-install. Thanks for the info!
Right. It does seem like they were making the tonneau with the anchor tab having the M6 and a bolt hole at the bottom of it as seen in this video.

Also, Benny @AllMoparParts.com confirmed it later and you can see the part# below.

Jeep Gladiator MOPAR Jeep Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover Install on 2021 Gladiator Oveland 1624115902302

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I ordered a 2021 Roll Up Tonneau cover recently and just got around to installing it. Apparently some of the aftermarket shops are selling the 2020 tonneau cover as 2021 but the holes on the bracket don't line up with the holes in the bed still. I emailed the place I bought it from and their reply was to just use a hex shaped rivnut, 06104885AA. They just brushed off the issue I had and offered no help but to sell me the rivnuts. BUT the hole on the bottom is circular and not a hex shaped hole and it doesn't fit...

I ended up just going to home depot to get a couple lock washers and nuts to install it. It took way longer to install it as the space between the bed and cab is so small. Also I was using my phone as a flashlight and it fell between the bed and cab. After a few curse words and using a small metal pole, I was able to push it around and it fell from underneath.

Anyway, just giving a heads up to anyone who purchases a Mopar roll up tonneau cover.

Jeep Gladiator MOPAR Jeep Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover Install on 2021 Gladiator Oveland 20211024_181003

Jeep Gladiator MOPAR Jeep Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover Install on 2021 Gladiator Oveland 20211024_180952

Jeep Gladiator MOPAR Jeep Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover Install on 2021 Gladiator Oveland 20211024_180918

SonoranMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
I just recently installed the Mopar roll-up cover on my JT. I just purchased the M8 hexagonal rivet nuts from Amazon. These worked perfectly. I have the tool but they can be installed by using an M8 bolt, nut, washer and larger nut that will allow for the compression. This way is kind of a PITA but it will work with patients.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS63NZ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have a few left. PM me and I would be happy to send you a couple.
So I ordered these up from Amazon for my install, but I’m a little confused what to do with them. They are completely smooth and don’t have any grooves to grip the bed like a normal rivet nut. I can slide them into top hexagonal hole under some pressure, but what’s going to hold it in firmly other than friction?

Sponsored

DunChasnPyro

First Name
Ricke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
So I ordered these up from Amazon for my install, but I’m a little confused what to do with them. They are completely smooth and don’t have any grooves to grip the bed like a normal rivet nut. I can slide them into top hexagonal hole under some pressure, but what’s going to hold it in firmly other than friction?
The hexagonal shape in the hexagonal hole will keep the rivet nut from spinning. This YouTube video may help.

antwon412

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JT Mojave
Buy a rivnut tool. 25 bucks or so on Amazon and they come in very handy for all sorts of vehicle projects.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Why the hell did Jeep change this form the 2020 model? Now they have to sell two different covers, and the new one doesn’t come with everything you need to install it. That’s annoying.

SonoranMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
The hexagonal shape in the hexagonal hole will keep the rivet nut from spinning. This YouTube video may help.
But the rivnuts you linked to on Amazon are different, they don't have the teeth or groves to latch on to the back of the bed under compression(nutserts?) as shown in the video. So how are they supposed to be used? I lightly tapped them into place with a ball peen hammer, but is that supposed to be enough to hold everything in place? I put the cover on and it seems sturdy and solid, but I feel like I am missing something here.

DunChasnPyro

First Name
Ricke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
But the rivnuts you linked to on Amazon are different, they don't have the teeth or groves to latch on to the back of the bed under compression(nutserts?) as shown in the video. So how are they supposed to be used? I lightly tapped them into place with a ball peen hammer, but is that supposed to be enough to hold everything in place? I put the cover on and it seems sturdy and solid, but I feel like I am missing something here.
They work exactly the same
Sponsored