Sponsored

Mopar LED upgrade on a 2021?

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
Researching on the best way to go about upgrading to LEDs from my halogens. I stumbled across the Mopar listing on Quadratec that mentions: “For 2021+ NAFTA JL/JT this is a plug and play kit, harness not required.”

does this mean I don’t have to run the extra wire on my 2021? Can any one confirm?
Sponsored

nbvillager

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
retired
Researching on the best way to go about upgrading to LEDs from my halogens. I stumbled across the Mopar listing on Quadratec that mentions: “For 2021+ NAFTA JL/JT this is a plug and play kit, harness not required.”

does this mean I don’t have to run the extra wire on my 2021? Can any one confirm?
Quadratec does answer questions about this headlight. Earlier in 2021, they responded to a question with "The halos still need to be wired independently." Perhaps you should confirm with Quadratec whether anything has changed in the meantime. You may have noticed that Quadratec stated in their description "Halo rings require a dealer flash."

OP
OP
FutureOdin

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
It looks like they just confirmed today:

"Your Question:
If I have a 2021 Gladiator, are you saying that the additional harness install isn’t required to run the DRL halos on the light?

Our Answer:
No wiring is required but you must reflash at a Jeep dealership or unlock with a product like Zautomotive's Tazer JL Mini https://www.quadratec.com/p/zautomotive/tazer-jl-mini-wrangler-jl-gladia.... Thanks for your inquiry."

gpwrang33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ 2021 Hydro Blue JTSS MAX TOW
i was wondering the same thing about adding the extra wire to get the halos to work after a dealer flash or home flash. i looked at my headlight wire and it appears there are 5 or 6 wires in the connector, i will be investigating at some point.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
FWIW, I recently replaced the halogens with Oracle Oculus headlights. I really like them. They do have an extra wire that I had to connect to the fuse block for the halos. But they worked perfectly right out of the box with no requirement to flash the computer. No flickering.

The Oculus lights aren't the cheapest option out there, but they are the correct 9" lights for the Gladiator. Most other headlights were 7" with adapter/spacers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FutureOdin

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I was going to go with the Oculus lights, but I'm not really a fan of the style... the single bulb in the middle makes it look like creepy eyes... heh

I went with Bunker ones from Amazon--decent reviews, and the cheapest 9" I found. Hoping they aren't crap.

But to continue the discussion... I took a quick picture of the plug that goes to my passenger's side headlight:

Jeep Gladiator Mopar LED upgrade on a 2021? IMG_0064.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Mopar LED upgrade on a 2021? IMG_0065.JPG

This plug was at the very top of the headlight. As you can see, top picture has 4 wires going in, and the bottom picture has 3 wires going out. So I assume that extra wire that's going in is for DRLs and is not used (since I have halogens).

I assume buying the Mopar LEDs changes the plug from the headlight to include the extra wire?

OP
OP
FutureOdin

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
OK, so my guess is the brown/orange wire that goes into the connector is the DRL, since it's not coming out the other side. Black is obv. ground, white/orange and white/grey is lo and hi beams (not sure which one is which).

The part number on the outgoing wire (from that plug to the headlight) is 68414408AB. I think the correct part number that has the extra DRL wire should be 68414409AB?

@AllMoparParts.com, would you be able to confirm?

Jeep Gladiator Mopar LED upgrade on a 2021? Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 9.30.23 AM

OP
OP
FutureOdin

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
So, my 2021 3.0L already has the DRL/halo wire on the driver's side headlight, it's just not utilized.

It looks like that part is backordered everywhere, so I was able to locate someone on eBay to build out a second harness for me to keep everything stock looking.

mjoneil

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S, '17 Camaro SS, '10 BMW 328
Build Thread
Link
So, my 2021 3.0L already has the DRL/halo wire on the driver's side headlight, it's just not utilized.

It looks like that part is backordered everywhere, so I was able to locate someone on eBay to build out a second harness for me to keep everything stock looking.
I've upgraded my sport s with halogens to OEM LEDs. If you have a Willys, there is a chance you have a "premium" body wire harness already there. If you look at the plug from the body side, as long as you have pin 5 you are good. (pin 5 is halo)

also, looking at your pictures, pin 5 is the middle bottom. The top being indicated by the clip. Usually ground is pin1 but double check the pin numbers on your harness

Last edited:

Sponsored

mjoneil

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S, '17 Camaro SS, '10 BMW 328
Build Thread
Link
OP
OP
FutureOdin

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
No, so in the two pictures I've posted above, you'll see that one side of the plug has 4 wires, the other has 3 wires. The side with three wires goes down and connects to the headlight.

Since I need that 4th wire to go all the way to the headlight, rather than running a separate wire back to the fusebox with a tap to get DRLs working on the passenger side, I just need to swap out that harness with 3 wires with the new harness that has 4 wires, and carries that DRL wire all the way to the headlight.

Jeep Gladiator Mopar LED upgrade on a 2021? IMG_0068.JPG

This is a picture of the backside of the headlights I purchased. You can see that's a stock connector with three wires, and the red wire for the DRLs. I'm going to crimp a blade terminal on that end, and stick it back into the connector so I have a stock look.

I'll have to stick the red wire back into the connector on the driver's side, too--but that side already has the 4th wire at the plug for the headlight.

Tighand

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT 80th
Occupation
Welder
I just installed the oem LED headlights and Atleast on a 80th anniversary nothing is required but setting tazer to yes on headlights and halo. Took about 15 minutes

OP
OP
FutureOdin

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I just installed the oem LED headlights and Atleast on a 80th anniversary nothing is required but setting tazer to yes on headlights and halo. Took about 15 minutes
Interesting--did you have 4 wires on the harness going to your headlight already?