First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Just received and installed Mopar bed rails. They conflict with the tonneau clamps - WTF?

I ended up using 3/4" self drilling screws to keep the tonneau - but I'm NOT happy about that. UGH!

The tonneau sides with shiny self-driller heads showing Hate 'em
Jeep Gladiator Mopar Roll Up Tonneau & Rails Conflict! B030291D-8D78-409B-B5C3-72A9830A84A3

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Roll Up Tonneau & Rails Conflict! 353CFA68-312F-48B1-A8E6-5A2D1BB91CE8

The clamps that held the tonneau sides. Yeah, kinda big but at least no holes in the bed.

QUESTION: I bought this truck lightly used so I don't KNOW for certain the tonneau is factory but since the truck has only 15,000 miles - who'd buy, install aftermarket, then give it away after only 15k miles/1 year?

Has anyone else dealt with this and what did you do?

ANOTHER ISSUE: MOPAR provides 12 bolts to attach rails to factory threaded holes. There is one more hole on the rear of each rail. They provide T nuts to hammer into pre-drilled holes but they DON'T provide the 2 bolts! Again, WTF?

For over $300 such penny ante saving, 2 frickin' metric bolts and they don't design to allow use of both the rails and their own tonneau attachment method?

The instructions show "D" as both a hex head and as a Torx head bolt. They say "12x" provided, so they know they're not giving you enough. Chintzy bastards!

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Roll Up Tonneau & Rails Conflict! 299DF0C8-5AE5-430A-BCF2-DBF5DA415EF0
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
If the tonneau cover doesn't say Mopar at the back left (US driver's side) corner, then it's aftermarket.

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
That's definitely an aftermarket tonneau. I have the mopar/factory tonneau, and it is substantially different than that one.

So yes, someone bought the truck and decided to add an aftermarket tonneau. There are lots of reasons someone might do that - price, preference, truck on the lot was marked down and didn't have a tonneau, etc.

Edit: And I suspect you have a literider. They're a little cheaper than the factory option, and some folks prefer them regardless of price as they tend to work better with bed rack systems.

OP
OP

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the clarification you guys. I went back to look and it says "Access Original Roll-Up Cover" so it is this Literider brand.

The clamps they provided don't look like the ones on the website you linked but close enough. I guess using the self drilling screws was all I could do unless I custom modified the clamps the provided or found something else.

But I'm still annoyed the Mopar rails didn't come with the required bolts. Yeah, it's only 2 bolts but it's the annoyance of spending a lot of money and then having to go looking for matching metric bolts.

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Roll Up Tonneau & Rails Conflict! FC67FA45-B541-4576-B927-90A5E10EFED4

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Roll Up Tonneau & Rails Conflict! 626EC212-0665-4EBD-A945-53D328E039B6

Mopar Inspector 1596 sucks!

wvuviv30

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Live Sound Engineer - Meerkat Sound
Thanks for the clarification you guys. I went back to look and it says "Access Original Roll-Up Cover" so it is this Literider brand.

The clamps they provided don't look like the ones on the website you linked but close enough. I guess using the self drilling screws was all I could do unless I custom modified the clamps the provided or found something else.

But I'm still annoyed the Mopar rails didn't come with the required bolts. Yeah, it's only 2 bolts but it's the annoyance of spending a lot of money and then having to go looking for matching metric bolts.

626EC212-0665-4EBD-A945-53D328E039B6.jpg

Mopar Inspector 1596 sucks!

Access and many other have difference tonneau covers between the "non-trail rails" and "trail rails" equipped Gladiators.

Access part numbers: (first number is the series indicator)
withOUT rails are #7019
WITH rails are #7029

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Access and many other have difference tonneau covers between the "non-trail rails" and "trail rails" equipped Gladiators.

Access part numbers: (first number is the series indicator)
withOUT rails are #7019
WITH rails are #7029
Thanks. Doesn't matter now, I guess. The rails and the tonneau are on there and seem to be working fine. But I will check the part number for the WITH rails out of curiosity.

wvuviv30

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Live Sound Engineer - Meerkat Sound
Thanks. Doesn't matter now, I guess. The rails and the tonneau are on there and seem to be working fine. But I will check the part number for the WITH rails out of curiosity.
Give Access a call, see what is different between the rails and mounting system.

OP
OP

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Give Access a call, see what is different between the rails and mounting system.
No need now. Even if they have a clamping system that will work with the factory bed rails there's nothing to be gained by spending money on it since the tonneau is held in place now. I already drilled the bed to hold the tonneau rails - DAMMIT!

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2010 BMW M5, 2023 Tesla M3
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have the same tonneau cover you have and as mentioned in the thread one of the reasons people go with this cover is because it works nicely with bed racks. I didn't have factory bed rails and went with the rebel bed rails. Not sure if you've put the tonneau cover through the ringer yet but when it rains have you seen water get in?

I get some light water inside not much just lightly.

OP
OP

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I have the same tonneau cover you have and as mentioned in the thread one of the reasons people go with this cover is because it works nicely with bed racks. I didn't have factory bed rails and went with the rebel bed rails. Not sure if you've put the tonneau cover through the ringer yet but when it rains have you seen water get in?

I get some light water inside not much just lightly.
I've only washed the truck once and I was surprised that there appeared to be NO water leaks. It was hardly dirty so it wasn't a deluge of water but it did puddle on top of the tonneau and of course I soaped and rinsed it along with the rest of the truck. It's TOO DAMN HOT in SoCal this week to wash it unless I do it at 5am so it'll wait a few day before it gets its 2nd wash and it's first-for-me clay bar and wax.

Sponsored

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've only washed the truck once and I was surprised that there appeared to be NO water leaks. It was hardly dirty so it wasn't a deluge of water but it did puddle on top of the tonneau and of course I soaped and rinsed it along with the rest of the truck. It's TOO DAMN HOT in SoCal this week to wash it unless I do it at 5am so it'll wait a few day before it gets its 2nd wash and it's first-for-me clay bar and wax.
I'm glad I'm not inland, but yeah it's pretty warm down here in socal.

OP
OP

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
HB oughta be nice this week. Glendora was over 100* today. Supposed to be the same all week. EEK!

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
HB oughta be nice this week. Glendora was over 100* today. Supposed to be the same all week. EEK!
I'm out of town this week up north hope it's nice there as well. Stay cool brotha 👍
Sponsored