First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
I've been given the green light to start putting together a shopping list so we can set up the Gladiator for towing behind our motorhome. I've been looking at the Rugged Ridge Spartan bumper, because it fits our budget, looks nice, and I've seen it mentioned here by others. Also, Rugged Ridge has a deal going until Mar 31 that gives a $100 rebate. So, I thought I'd stop by here and ask some questions of those who have used this bumper:

1. Are you satisfied with the bumper, after having used it for a while?
2. Can a Blue Ox tow bar connect to it directly or do I need to buy the Rock Hard Tow Bar Brackets to make the connection?
3. Are there other brackets that are as good as, or better than, the Rock Hard ones?
4. If I need to go with the brackets, can D rings be installed on the brackets for when we're not towing?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments!
Sponsored

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I've been given the green light to start putting together a shopping list so we can set up the Gladiator for towing behind our motorhome. I've been looking at the Rugged Ridge Spartan bumper, because it fits our budget, looks nice, and I've seen it mentioned here by others. Also, Rugged Ridge has a deal going until Mar 31 that gives a $100 rebate. So, I thought I'd stop by here and ask some questions of those who have used this bumper:

1. Are you satisfied with the bumper, after having used it for a while?
2. Can a Blue Ox tow bar connect to it directly or do I need to buy the Rock Hard Tow Bar Brackets to make the connection?
3. Are there other brackets that are as good as, or better than, the Rock Hard ones?
4. If I need to go with the brackets, can D rings be installed on the brackets for when we're not towing?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments!
Not a Rugged Ridge guy, but I've been towing for several years. You need a tow bar, a way to connect the tow bar to the vehicle, a brake system, and lights. Putting this together is not cheap.

I use a Ready Brute Elite tow bar with surge brakes. I started with one of these because it was given to me. :) I have stuck with the Ready Brute tow bar because of the simplicity.

Manufacturer of the Ready Brute Elite tow bar and the Ready Brake

I connect to the front bumper via bolted on brackets. The brackets on my TJ were made by a friend. The brackets on my Gladiator were made by Rockhard and I ordered them when I ordered my Rockhard bumper. The impression I have from looking at the Rugged Ridge bumper is that if you use the d-ring mount to tow with, then you need somewhere to attach your safety cables.

IMG_5901-XL.jpg

i-JKCbRwT-XL.jpg

i-svQ8KZC-XL.jpg

i-jDMqz3K-XL.jpg

I have a thread covering my bumper install:

Rockhard full width bumper install | Jeep Gladiator Forum - JeepGladiatorForum.com

Like I wrote earlier, the Ready Brute system uses surge brakes. The tow bar comes with a kit to run cables to the brake pedal. Install is fairly simple but you have to drill through the firewall. Regardless of the brake system you use, you need the stop and go braking system and a break-a-way (emergency) brake system.

I use wireless lights that are battery powered and have a magnetic base.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiring/Pilot-Automotive/NV-5164.html

OP
OP
Alan_Hepburn

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Yup - we've been towing a car since 2008, and a Wrangler for well over a year now. We've got the Wrangler set up with the Blue Ox base plate, and we're using the Ready Brute Elite tow bar. Now I'm getting ready to set up the Gladiator and we'll still use the Ready Brute to connect it to the RV. I'm looking at the Rugged Ridge bumper because it fits our budget, and we like the looks. I looked at the RockHard bumper but it's considerably more expensive and when you're living on Social Security and VA disability you don't want to spend more than you have to!

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
There are only 3 bumpers that I know of that are rated/approved for flat towing. Rockhard, LOD, and some Smittybilt bumpers. There may be more now than when I first searched when I bought the Gladiator.
I know many tow their Jeeps by the shackle mounts on other bumpers, but if something should happen (failure/disconnection), I'd be afraid you may be on your own as far as the insurance companies are concerned.
We flat tow using Maximus-3 tow loops. I like the below the bumper attachment for a lower riser while towing my lifted Jeep. They can be used with stock bumpers, and are a lot cheaper than buying a tow rated bumper.

OP
OP
Alan_Hepburn

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
There are only 3 bumpers that I know of that are rated/approved for flat towing. Rockhard, LOD, and some Smittybilt bumpers. There may be more now than when I first searched when I bought the Gladiator.
I know many tow their Jeeps by the shackle mounts on other bumpers, but if something should happen (failure/disconnection), I'd be afraid you may be on your own as far as the insurance companies are concerned.
We flat tow using Maximus-3 tow loops. I like the below the bumper attachment for a lower riser while towing my lifted Jeep. They can be used with stock bumpers, and are a lot cheaper than buying a tow rated bumper.
Thanks. I know those bumpers are rated for towing, but the Rugged Ridge one should be no problem: The shackle mounts are bolted directly onto the frame horns, with the bumper simply sandwiched between the frame and the shackle. The Rock Hard tow brackets simply replace the shackle mounts so they are also bolted directly to the frame horns. The only concern I can see is that the tow brackets only have 2 bolts and the shackle mounts use 4 bolts.

I looked at the Maximus-3 loops but I'd rather not have anything hanging below the bumper - our 2017 JKU has a Blue Ox baseplate and it hangs below the bumper. As a result I need to use a 6" drop hitch on the RV - by connecting to the shackle mount area I gain several inches of height. We're not looking at lifting the Gladiator so getting the connection point higher works.

Sponsored

Aquadude

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired law enforcement
Yup - we've been towing a car since 2008, and a Wrangler for well over a year now. We've got the Wrangler set up with the Blue Ox base plate, and we're using the Ready Brute Elite tow bar. Now I'm getting ready to set up the Gladiator and we'll still use the Ready Brute to connect it to the RV. I'm looking at the Rugged Ridge bumper because it fits our budget, and we like the looks. I looked at the RockHard bumper but it's considerably more expensive and when you're living on Social Security and VA disability you don't want to spend more than you have to!
Hey Alan, I am trying to set up my Gladiator Mojave which should arrive in about 4 weeks. Going to tow it behind a Tiffin Phaeton. Also looking at the Rock Hard as I want a winch and a LED strip light. But as you said, $1400 is a little pricey. Did you go with the Rugged Ridge and if so, which one and how it is working for you? Last thing I want to do is to pull a front bumper off going down the highway. I wanted one with a built in light strip but don't know if any of them are good enough to flat tow with. Can you advise? Thanks, Greg

OP
OP
Alan_Hepburn

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Hey Alan, I am trying to set up my Gladiator Mojave which should arrive in about 4 weeks. Going to tow it behind a Tiffin Phaeton. Also looking at the Rock Hard as I want a winch and a LED strip light. But as you said, $1400 is a little pricey. Did you go with the Rugged Ridge and if so, which one and how it is working for you? Last thing I want to do is to pull a front bumper off going down the highway. I wanted one with a built in light strip but don't know if any of them are good enough to flat tow with. Can you advise? Thanks, Greg
Hi Greg - haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I think we're going to go with the Rugged Ridge Spartan with standard ends. It comes with removable shackle attachments which we will replace with the Rock Hard Tow Bar Brackets. The tow bar brackets simply bolt on in place of the shackle mounts, directly to the frame horns - the bumper is simply sandwiched in between the frame and the bracket. the resulting mount will be as strong as the hardware used to bolt it up. We're not planning on adding a winch (yet!) but I've seen photos of this bumper with winches added and it looks good. As for lights we're just staying with the OEM fog lights for now.

Aquadude

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired law enforcement
Hi Greg - haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I think we're going to go with the Rugged Ridge Spartan with standard ends. It comes with removable shackle attachments which we will replace with the Rock Hard Tow Bar Brackets. The tow bar brackets simply bolt on in place of the shackle mounts, directly to the frame horns - the bumper is simply sandwiched in between the frame and the bracket. the resulting mount will be as strong as the hardware used to bolt it up. We're not planning on adding a winch (yet!) but I've seen photos of this bumper with winches added and it looks good. As for lights we're just staying with the OEM fog lights for now.
Thanks for the reply. But if you take off the shackle attachments, where will you put your safety cables? I was planning on attaching them to the D Rings as Rock Hard instructed. But Rock Hard does not make a bumper with a built in light strip in the loop and I was afraid if I just clamped one on, someone could just snip the wires and take a $300 light. I will have a look at that bumper you're going with. Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
Alan_Hepburn

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the reply. But if you take off the shackle attachments, where will you put your safety cables? I was planning on attaching them to the D Rings as Rock Hard instructed. But Rock Hard does not make a bumper with a built in light strip in the loop and I was afraid if I just clamped one on, someone could just snip the wires and take a $300 light. I will have a look at that bumper you're going with. Thanks for your help.
For the safety cables I was planning on improvising an attachment point - since the tow brackets attach with 2 bolts I was thinking of putting an eye bolt or something in one of the "extra" bolt holes. I figured I could work it out in detail once I installed the bumper.

Aquadude

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired law enforcement
For the safety cables I was planning on improvising an attachment point - since the tow brackets attach with 2 bolts I was thinking of putting an eye bolt or something in one of the "extra" bolt holes. I figured I could work it out in detail once I installed the bumper.
Hey Alan, after talking with RockHard over the phone (super nice, helpful folks), I decided to go with them, partly because their bumper is aluminum vs steel, which saves 100 lbs. If I put a steel bumper, winch, light etc. on that front bumper, it will be close to 300 lbs which is sure to mess with gas mileage, not that it is that good anyway. And theirs is so easy to hookup and they are strongly affiliated with Blue Ox. Thanks friend!

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
By LED strip you mean a light bar? McMaster Carr has a bunch of security hardware that you can use to secure a light that would deter almost anyone that isn't specifically there to steal your light.

Aquadude

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired law enforcement
By LED strip you mean a light bar? McMaster Carr has a bunch of security hardware that you can use to secure a light that would deter almost anyone that isn't specifically there to steal your light.
Ahh, very nice. You may have solved my issue. Thank you.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Ahh, very nice. You may have solved my issue. Thank you.
Avoid security hex/torx fasteners and go for tri-groove, spanner, or, if you want to drop $20 on a bit, the asymmetrical fasteners for better security. You really only need one side security as long as you use a lock nut or loctite to make it so you need a wrench on the non-security side to disassemble.
Sponsored