Sponsored

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
That's a BS opinion. Anyone with any trailering experience knows that you need a hitch with sway bars when towing a trailer that size to mitigate sway from cross winds, especially with a mid size truck. MT is just trying to be a turd in the punch bowl. GM or Ford probably paid them to publish that.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
Guessing the max tow option wouldn't help a lick with the issues they describe

Glad I'm not really expecting to tow much

bobjohnson26

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Grey JT
I was wondering the same thing about the article... They didn't use sway control? How was the trailer loaded, etc. etc. etc. Their take seemed very different than what I have seen from many other users on this forum.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Nobody on this planet has ever seen me say or write anything different than "factory tow ratings are meaningless"

If you are above 60% (entirely proprietary self ascribed and unscientific opinion)of the factory max "tow rating" for anything more than brief periods you will at best be miserable.

None of this surprises me, I don't know what the tongue weight is on the aluminum sausage they're towing but I would bet it is 50% of the cargo weight rating, and if two grown men are in the cab they are maxed out.

I don't care whose factory tow ratings you are looking at in a light duty vehicle, they are bullshit. Utter, complete bullshit.

Sponsored

Twilightwheelin

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTrubi JL , JK , WJ
Say whatever you want but its a less than idea towing platform. Even at 4-5k its sketchy with a 3.6 uphill and over passes. Especially for 50k rig. Way better off getting a comfy ass silverado or ram at that point...
the Glad is more of a spectacular overlanding platform.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
If you have ever towed anything, you can look at that picture and KNOW that their description of "terrifying" is coming.

ETA : Airstream lists the dry hitch weight with batteries for a 23' Flying Cloud @ 467-654 pounds depending on bed location.
Jeep Gladiator MotorTrend 2021 Gladiator Review - Terrifying Towing? Screenshot_20201201-110739~2

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Yeah it is pretty amazing, "automotive journalist" cannot set up a truck to tow properly. Yes when you do not have the rediculous overhead of todays current "half tons" you have to do it right. Remember towing before the year 2000? The Gladiator will pretty much outperform any half ton built before 2003. But you cannot set up your payload stupid.
Jeep Gladiator MotorTrend 2021 Gladiator Review - Terrifying Towing? 20200223_164138

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Yeah it is pretty amazing, "automotive journalist" cannot set up a truck to tow properly. Yes when you do not have the rediculous overhead of todays current "half tons" you have to do it right. Remember towing before the year 2000? The Gladiator will pretty much outperform any half ton built before 2003. But you cannot set up your payload stupid.
Jeep Gladiator MotorTrend 2021 Gladiator Review - Terrifying Towing? 20200223_164138
I can't tell you how many times I've had this "argument" with people.
"MUH F150 will tow 12,000 POUNDS! SAYS SO IN THE BOOK!"

No, it won't. No for long, not safely and certainly not comfortably.

"UH HUH! I SEEN THE VIDEO!"

Seriously, marketing any light duty truck as a "tow vehicle" should be illegal. Will it tow something? Sure it will. Is it a "tow vehicle"? Absolutely not.

If the tongue weight of the trailer you are putting behind a Gladiator exceeds 350 pounds, you are headed for misery.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
The Mohave has softer suspension than the max tow The Gladiator does have an automatic sway control.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Weight distributing hitch set correctly and properly set trailer brakes will do wonders to your towing safety and capability. I use a recurve weight distributing hitch with my trailer and have brakes on both axles with a prodigy brake controller. I have yanked my junk down the interstate doing 70 for hours at a time.

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
This seems utterly speculative based on lacking details of gcvwr and lacking scale weights to support the story. Towing anything, especially higher profiles without wdh and sway bars or similar is plainly ignorant if not incompetent- especially from experience and proclaimed reviewer professionals. Obviously not experts.
One of the MOST complicated topics in any forum is the capability of any rig to tow a desired weight for the target vehicle.
As said before- towing up-too and near max capacity is reserved for the occasional need. Heavy towing and frequent towing requires heavy duty vehicles- that’s why they make them. It’s what the towing professional experts espouse, maybe listening to them is reasonable??
So much matters, weight load distribution of trailer, hitch, hitch brand, gearing, suspension, experience of driver, payloads and passenger loads(same really),knowledge and experience of towing summary with rig and trailer.
Did he know all his numbers? Gawr? Payload? Gcwr, ? Trailer dry and loaded weights?
So saying dangerous is heavy. You better have more than because we said so lined up. Jeep won’t comment on amateur towing reviews from biased publications whom specialize in critiquing buttons and driver appeal/entertainment value of vehicles.
If they’re gonna post a story like that- they shoulda lined their ducks up to shoot right. Otherwise it’s just another half cocked opinion and those are always just loads of biased bullshit from under informed folks...
Jmho

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Just read this article before checking the forum, it is foolish. The quote about the gladiator not being able to do "truck" things? SMH. Last I checked, it has a BED! And obviously if you're going to tow somewhere close to the max rating, you should expect it not to be easy or have some sort of support. Please don't expect mid-size truck to do full size truck things. I wonder how the Ranger does with a 5k trailer?
Sponsored