Sponsored

Mountain Bikes - How are you guys carrying them??

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
I use a 1-UpUSA hitch rack when I am not towing and have started to put together a bed rack for when I tow. For the bed rack I bought the BillieBars rack and will be using 1-UpUSA roof racks mounted to the cross bars. The BillieBars rack has an optional Molle panels that mounts on the sides of the rack as well which offers additional capability. I wanted something that keeps full functionality of the bed and tonneau cover.

Bkinnell

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Director of Culinary operations
I am using a FOX one but same sort of idea. Has been great no issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP
D10S86

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
I use a 1-UpUSA hitch rack when I am not towing and have started to put together a bed rack for when I tow. For the bed rack I bought the BillieBars rack and will be using 1-UpUSA roof racks mounted to the cross bars. The BillieBars rack has an optional Molle panels that mounts on the sides of the rack as well which offers additional capability. I wanted something that keeps full functionality of the bed and tonneau cover.
What are your total costs for going this route? I’m liking the idea but wondering if I can hide the purchase from my wife. Meaning, how much extra do I need to put away in my side account to buy this setup 😅

OP
OP
D10S86

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Not a Thule brand. I’m using a dakine

Jeep Gladiator Mountain Bikes - How are you guys carrying them?? overloadedbicyclecargo
I’m diggin it man, this just looks cool too. I still can’t figure out how the bikes stay on. Watched a YouTube video but still not getting it. The physics behind a small strap over the frame and no other holding mechanisms is blowing my mind

Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
What are your total costs for going this route? I’m liking the idea but wondering if I can hide the purchase from my wife. Meaning, how much extra do I need to put away in my side account to buy this setup 😅
For which setup; the hitch rack, bed rack, or both?

Hitch rack is $569-$619 depending on Silver or Black
Roof Racks are $219-$239 each depending on Silver or Black
BillieBars are $475 for the rack, side molle panels are $185 each
Add in Shipping and Tax.

Not cheap but really nice! Start saving those pennies, having side (slush fund) accounts are always best to hide money from prying eyes ;)

The 1-UpUSA racks are the best out there hands down. I have had the hitch rack for 14 years, it looks and it performs the same as new. While I have not mounted or used the BillieBars, they are extruded aluminum and are very beefy. Overkill for my use case but still allows me to keep and use the soft rollup tonneau cover. This setup is also lower profile than most other setups.

gsxr310

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR & JTR
I’m diggin it man, this just looks cool too. I still can’t figure out how the bikes stay on. Watched a YouTube video but still not getting it. The physics behind a small strap over the frame and no other holding mechanisms is blowing my mind
With the handlebars turned, it wedges the bottom frame against the tailgate to allow minimal movement.

MSGEngineering

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mohave
Occupation
Engineer
I second the 1up. Im fabbing one for the bed to use when I tow the camper.

TexasTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I used to use a moving blanket and a ratchet strap, similar to the tailgate pads. I actually had my bike like that when someone pulled out in front of me and totaled my old truck. Bike didn't budge.

Currently running a 1UP hitch rack since I already had it as a roof rack on a previous car.

Once I get my diamondback I'm planning on setting it up on the crossbars.

20201207_094019.jpg
Sponsored